• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's a good pipe tobacco for a newb?

vortex

"A billion Eddie Barzoons jogging into the future
I have a briar and used to smoke Captain Black and Borkum Riff Whiskey back in the day. I've since gotten into cigars and it opened a whole new world of tobacco enjoyment. Now I wonder what I missed in my near-sighted experience with pipe tobacco.

I'd like to try some of the better blends that have somewhat universal appeal.
I know all tastes are different but what is the PSD4 of the pipe tobacco world?
Any suggestions would be welcome as I am a total newb at this. :blush:

There are so many more pipe tobaccos out there than there are cigars. It's hard to define just one or two that would be right. I just started smoking a pipe about 4 weeks ago, and I already have about 20 different blends in small 1 to 4 oz packages / tins / baggies. I would suggest going to a good B&M and tell them your taste preferences in cigars. They'll help you out.

Also, if you are going to smoke both aromatics and English blends, do it in seperate pipes. The flavors will start to blend. Imagine a sweet latakia.
vomit-smiley-007.gif

Also, if you are going to smoke both aromatics and English blends, do it in seperate pipes. The flavors will start to blend. Imagine a sweet latakia.
vomit-smiley-007.gif

Great point. I meant to mention that but forgot.

My favorite old stand by that I smoke out of just one pipe now and nothing else is the CAO Da Vinci made by Dan Tobacco out of the EU. :thumbs:

Trying to compare pipe tobacco to a cigar is not an easy task. Been smoking pipes for 10 years and I've seen so many pipe tobacco's it isnt even funny. Tons more pipe tobacco than there are Cigar names like Partagas, padron, Fuente, etc etc etc. You get the idea I hope.

So good luck in trying to find a ISOM tasting cigar to a pipe tobacco. I dont think I need to say that pipe tobacco on the market isnt grown in Cuba. :p

I dont think I need to say that pipe tobacco on the market isnt grown in Cuba. tongue.gif

It's far from ubiquitous, and obviously not for consumption by American citizens, but there is Cuban Partagas pipe tobacco out there...

I dont think I need to say that pipe tobacco on the market isnt grown in Cuba. tongue.gif

It's far from ubiquitous, and obviously not for consumption by American citizens, but there is Cuban Partagas pipe tobacco out there...
The exception that defines the rule, i guess. Thanks for the info.

I might try the only suggestion I got, CAO Da Vinci made by Dan Tobacco out of the EU, if I can find it.

I might try the only suggestion I got, CAO Da Vinci made by Dan Tobacco out of the EU, if I can find it.

Easy to find this tobacco. http://www.milantobacco.com/caopipetobacco.htm

I never order pipe tobacco online or buy my pipes online. I prefer to support the 2 B&M shops I buy from instead. But that link shows ya exactly what it looks like. Once you have tried it and know you like it, the 8oz bag is the way to go. :thumbs:

Thanx Peat! :D

You can ask Lima what kind of selection I sent him is like and also Bigvinny as both of them have tried some local stuff. Thinking of taking my pipes with me to Las Vegas and enjoy them out there. :thumbs:

You can ask Lima what kind of selection I sent him is like and also Bigvinny as both of them have tried some local stuff. Thinking of taking my pipes with me to Las Vegas and enjoy them out there. :thumbs:

LIMA WHISKEY shared his "COOL HAND LUKE" with me......very good. Smooth taste and a cool smoke. Didn't over-heat the bowl.

Thanks Peat.... :thumbs:

I would say the most popular and readily available in bulk is Lane 1Q. A lot of shops call it their own blend so you may have to ask for it. If that is not available try Peter Stokkebye Bulk Champagne. For starters you can go wrong with two ounces of either one.

As a newbie I would suggest You a corn cob pipe. Have you taste it? May be its good for you, can try this..

He's been smoking a pipe for the better part of eight years now, I don't think he'd qualify as a "newbie" any longer.

Been reading up on pipe threads lately and picked up some Lane 1Q without even knowing it.  Lan at Hi-Time Wine Cellars in Costa Mesa gave me 2 oz for free and some pipe cleaners and a tamping tool.  They're a great B&M I hit up for cigars and beer and now pipes.