• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's the best sleeper scotch?

Black Plague

I noticed that of all the scotches I've ever bought, I always seem to go for the really well-known, highly-acknowledged distilleries.

Glenlivet, Macallan, Highland Park, Lagavulin, Balvenie, Glenmorangie, Laphroig, etc. etc. But I'm curious to expand my horizons (especially after reading some of the great reviews on here), but not end up dropping $50+ on a bottle of crap whisky.

What are some good "sleeper scotches" out there that are ACEs (to steal AVB's line) yet don't get the big publicity like some other brands? TIA :thumbs:

Aberfeldy and Pulteney are two that can be found in the States

I was kinda curious about Aberfeldy, since I've really enjoyed the Dewar's 12YO blend. I might have to dig around and see if I can find the Aberfeldy 12YO. Do you know if there are still merchant bottlings to be had or did Dewar's put a stop to that when they start selling it as a single malt?

Dalmore is back Stateside in new bottlings. I really like the 12, which is a single malt, but half American oak casks, half sherry casks.

~Boar

I've never had Pulteney, but Aberfeldy and Dalmore are great suggestions. The Dalmore 12 is really good. The Cigar Malt was good too, but was replaced by Gran Reserva. Never had it though. Another suggestion would be Cragganmore 12.

Dalmore 12YO was the first bottle of scotch I ever bought, about three or four years ago! At the time, I thought it was really good and the price was nice (about $35 back then), but I didn't know if it was just my newb tastebuds since I never really saw anyone talk about it (except the Cigar Malt) and I haven't touched it since.

Might have to revisit it. Haven't there been some changes made to it in the last few years?

When on the cheap, which isn't too often any more,(curse you Ray) I've enjoyed Glen Garioch, and Bowmore Legend.

Doc.

You don't wanna know how much my bottle in the buy is...... :0

When on the cheap, which isn't too often any more,(curse you Ray) I've enjoyed Glen Garioch, and Bowmore Legend.

Doc.

Dalmore 12YO was the first bottle of scotch I ever bought, about three or four years ago! At the time, I thought it was really good and the price was nice (about $35 back then), but I didn't know if it was just my newb tastebuds since I never really saw anyone talk about it (except the Cigar Malt) and I haven't touched it since.

Might have to revisit it. Haven't there been some changes made to it in the last few years?

Ray sez so. :D

Apparently, it used to be all sherry-casked, now it's half American oak, half sherry. AVB likes the original better, but I think (classless, clueness noob that I am) that the new version has more "bones" and seems more satisfyingly complex to my palate. Either way, it's fine Scotch and about $45 now, which is pretty much a bargain for single malts nowadays.

Wish they'd bring the Cigar Malt back. Great hootch and at $35 it was an outstanding value. :(

~Boar

Aberfeldy Rocks. It's got a permenant place in my cabinet.

PA is selling Tomatin 12 for $28 at the moment and that means is should be fairly cheap where ever you are. $30 give or take is a great price for a 12 yo highland. See my review for more info.

Coal Ila

Rarely hear much about this one. Great balance of sweet and smoke. Almost a creme brulee quality t it.

Based on the advice and another forum where I posted the same question, I picked up a bottle of Signatory-bottled Caol Ila 9YO 43% and a bottle of standard Aberfeldy 12YO. I'll let you know my results. :thumbs:

Everytime I see this, I think it's asking "What's the best sleeper couch".

I second the Pulteney.

I am waiting for Talisker to come back into stock. My vendors are all out and say the new stuff will no be released until Feb.