• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's up with JR Cigars ?

JimmyTheK

What's that smell?
Greetings, all. Wondering if anyone has info on what's going on at JR? I've used them as an online vendor for a long time - 5 packs, auctions, the occasional box - and have recently noticed availability issues. Are they in trouble or changing their business model? Been happy but not so happy with options recently, Out of stocks, quality issues, higher pricing, etc. Anyone experienced the same thing or know what's going on?

Recommendations for better options are welcome and appreciated.

I stopped buying from them a long time ago, but a couple years back one of my MOST trusted Texas vendors, Serious Cigars in Houston, suddenly became . . . . a JR Cigars website. :oops:

No warning, and not the same selection OR prices. I recall posting about it here & a number of responses noted they were buying up the online side of a lot of B&M retailers at that time.

Only mentioning it because what you're saying about them sounds a whole lot like a business that overextended itself---too many websites, too many irons in the fire, not enough actual infrastructure.

~Boar

I stopped buying from them a long time ago, but a couple years back one of my MOST trusted Texas vendors, Serious Cigars in Houston, suddenly became . . . . a JR Cigars website. :oops:

No warning, and not the same selection OR prices. I recall posting about it here & a number of responses noted they were buying up the online side of a lot of B&M retailers at that time.

Only mentioning it because what you're saying about them sounds a whole lot like a business that overextended itself---too many websites, too many irons in the fire, not enough actual infrastructure.

~Boar

The Serious humidor grossed me out.
The bathroom was attached to the humidor!!!! The shelves at floor level were nasty from the floor dust.
The humidifiers belched hard water mist that dried on the sticks.

It was just nasty.

Serious used to be a bomb spot!
I have not been to one in over a decade, I guess everything changes

The Serious humidor grossed me out.
The bathroom was attached to the humidor!!!! The shelves at floor level were nasty from the floor dust.
The humidifiers belched hard water mist that dried on the sticks.

It was just nasty.

Weird. At the time I was buying from them, friends in the Houston area had RAVE reviews of them. But this was a LONG time ago. At least fifteen years, I think.

~Boar

Weird. At the time I was buying from them, friends in the Houston area had RAVE reviews of them. But this was a LONG time ago. At least fifteen years, I think.

~Boar

This was the 1960 location. Not sure if they had others. And it was 2013/2014.

They certainly had one of the largest humidors, and box purchases would have been fine.
The singles were safe on the fast movers.

Any unwrapped sticks that lingered would have a bloom/plume that would give a microbiologist bad dreams.

They certainly had one of the largest humidors, and box purchases would have been fine.

Any unwrapped sticks that lingered would have a bloom/plume that would give a microbiologist bad dreams.
Ugh. I would hope the NC warehouse is cleaner.

But not only are many of my go-tos usually out of stock now, I've noticed unexpected quality issues with major labels and wonder if they may be re-banded JR Alternates - Monties, Macs, Cohiba's, Fuentes, for example. Olive used to be a big auction item and the auctions are now "under construction". Hence my suspicion.

Do you have a good online seller?

There was a central Houston location & then a North Houston one, iirc. I think my Houston friends mostly went to the North Houston one. It's been forever though.

So long ago he was one of the vendors I bought Esencias from!

~Boar

Without knowing what you like to smoke, here are some places that I use, with some price comparisons to JR…

D.P. Garcia Blue Invicto box of 24/5’er
na/$41 JR Cigars
$160/$36 CigarPage
$149/$37 CigarPlace (.biz)

Flor de las Antillas Maduro Petite Robusto 20/5
$161/na JR
$126/$31 CigarPage
$125/na Cigar Page

Viva La Vida Jester 10/5
na/na JR
$80/na CigarPage
$102/$52 Cigar Place

Fuente 858 Maduro 25/5
$175/na JR
$157/$33 Cigar Page
$160/$38 Cigar Place

As you can see, I use Cigar Place and Cigar Page quite a bit, due to pricing. Of these two, I prefer Cigar Place. I get my orders faster and the cigars are in better condition (in my opinion). That being said, Cigar Page has ridiculous sales! If they have something that you like and it’s on sale, their prices can be stupid low!

For “higher end” sticks, I just grab my Google Machine and scour the internet for the best price for what I want. Here are some “off the beaten path” places that I have used:

- The Cigar Farm: good prices, boutique, an active member here
- Nice Ash .com: they have a “20% Off” section that has an extensive selection of singles, 5’ers, and boxes (ex. BLTC Last Rites Robusto $8/$39/$158). Inventory comes and goes.
- Wooden Indian Tobacco: they were the only place I could find a single that I wanted to try. Fast shipping, boveda, and a hand-written thank you note.
- Tinder Box: they usually have a good selection of Ezra Zion, among other items
- Puro Cigar House: all singles, higher end sticks, great selection of L.E. sticks
- Rocky’s Cigars .com: laugh if you want, but I just bought a box of Olmec Maduro Corona Gordas for $99!!! 😎

sorry for the novel…