• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's worse... poor temp control or humidity control?

sok454

Which is worse for storing your cigars...  humidity being too low or high or the temp being too low/high?  

I checked my humidor after I moved it to the basement and I was at 63F and 62% humidity.   Put some more water in my humidity sticks as I think they dried out over the week of vacation and sitting in the garage at 85% (no cigars in at the time).

63F and 62% humidity would be pretty close to ideal for me.  There are drawbacks for both of your scenarios, but if it were me I'd be worried about temperature, then humidity. 

They both suck in different ways. High temps equal beetles. High humidity equals mold or at the very least awful tasting cigars. You seem to have a handle on it . Don't obsess.

Doc

This is the first year I have not put AC unit in the room with my stogies. I keep a close watch it and have seen no sign of anything.

I would say a mess of mold is worse the beetle paranoia.

Not sure there is an answer to which is worse, both are bad in their own ways. That being said I guess if high temp = beetles (which it does not always hold true) I would think that is worse because beetles render cigars unsmokeable, at least for me, while cigars which are a bit dry can be brought back, albeit with a flavor loss IMHO.

bfreebern said:
63F and 62% humidity would be pretty close to ideal for me.  There are drawbacks for both of your scenarios, but if it were me I'd be worried about temperature, then humidity. 

Agreed.  Sounds pretty good to me.

Ok good.  I have some Monte no 2's coming and want to be dialed in before they arrive.   

You'll always have fluctuations, in both temp and humidity.  Don't stress over the changes, as long as it's fairly consistent, you'll be good.

Having experienced both issues, I can say definitively that they both suck. That said, high temp tends to lead to both issues where high rh, as long as it is temporary and not chronic may not be add big a problem at lower temps.

Autocomplete is the bane of my existence.

It depends. You'll find different types of cigars perform better at different rh and temp. I keep two at different rh because I like variety. But at first you tend to buy what keeps well for you and you like.

Generally, more people are storing at lower rh now because so many popular cigars smoke well at that level.

Depends on the cigars. 

vortex said:
It depends. You'll find different types of cigars perform better at different rh and temp. I keep two at different rh because I like variety. But at first you tend to buy what keeps well for you and you like.

Generally, more people are storing at lower rh now because so many popular cigars smoke well at that level.
Hehe! 

:D

Temp has been a solid 63 and humidity is at steady at 66-67% now.