• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

When Castro dies & the emargo is lifted

Will the quality of Cuban cigars go up or down?

• Quality will go up.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Quality will go down.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
I think that once the embargo is lifted quality will go down as Cuba tries to sell any and everything to the U.S..

At first I thought quality would stay the same, only Cuban cigars would become more scarce worldwide (though more common in the US).

Then I realized Cubatabaco/Altadis is a big greedy company and will try to ramp up production.

Quality will fall, no doubt, across the board, though some varieties will be able to keep their value and some new varieties will be created.

Also depending on how open Cuba's economy becomes, if they go to a freer market some of the master rollers may go back to Cuba and some really sterling sticks would be produced.

However if the question is, "ceterus paribus" (all other things held constant) then yes quality can only go down.

IMHO

I think quality will go up. The fringe Cuban brands will either go away or start blending tobaccos from other countries. Also, people will find out that Cuban cigars aren't as great as they used to be. Therfore CubaTobacco/Altadis will have to get their **** together to be profitable. Cigars that they are selling for the price are not worth the price. The price is paid because we can not get the Cuban flavor else where. That's my take.

Emo

emodx said:
I think quality will go up. The fringe Cuban brands will either go away or start blending tobaccos from other countries. Also, people will find out that Cuban cigars aren't as great as they used to be. Therfore CubaTobacco/Altadis will have to get their **** together to be profitable. Cigars that they are selling for the price are not worth the price. The price is paid because we can not get the Cuban flavor else where. That's my take.

Emo
Very well said and I happen to agree. :)

Quality will go down, and fakes will skyrocket. Of course, Joe-one-a-year Cigar Smoker won't know the difference.

I think the quality will drop, but hopefully some of the companys will still be proud enough of their product to concentrate on quality and not quantity.

I have no clue on what will happen to Cuban quality, but. . .
Maybe the quality of non-Cubans will go up because
1. they will have to compete for US business against Cuban brands.
2. they will be able to experiment blending Cuban leaf into their creations.
Just a thought.

I, myself beleive that the quality of the Cuban cigars will eventually go up and the price will actally be lower since there will be 1 to 3 less middle men handling the product..... :) :thumbs: :)