• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Which cigars should I buy

gardkarlsen

Hi

Bringing cigars/cigarettes into Norway is not that easy as we are only allowed to bring in 250g (about 9 ounces) duty free when we travel...we can bring in more but after the first 9 ounces we have to pay about 10$ per ounce of tobacco. Well, enough with the complaining of Norwegian taxes :blush: I'm planning on buying some cigars online (on e.g. cigars.com) and send them to my sister who lives in the US. My mum is heading over to the States soon i'll get her to bring the cigars back. So what I'm thinking about is buying 10-20 cigars to give me a variety of taste. Here are some of the cigars that I have put on the list so far:

• Oliva Serie V torpedo
  • Ashton VSG (Virgin Sun Grown) torpedo
  • Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur Maduro Epicure
  • San Cristobal Monumento
  • La Flor Domincana Double Ligero Chisel
  • Don Pepin Garcia Cuban Classic 1979
  • Gran Habano 3 Siglos Gran Robusto
  • Padilla Signature 1932 Lancero
  • The Edge Sumatra Toro
  • Carlos Torano Exodus 1959
  • Tatuaje Noella

Do you have any advice for a newbie? Should I buy smaller and cheaper cigars? At the moment I have looked at the top 25 list at http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/CA_To...0,4320,,00.html . Got any advice? Thanks in advance,

My first suggestion would be to get two of each. It is difficult to really make an informed decission on a cigar from only one experience, there are too many factors both in the cigar and in the atmosphere it was smoked in.

Second, I would reccomend contacting one of the retailers that contribute to this board. Al, Israel, Chris, Gaberiel, Mark to name a few. They will not charge you the rediculous upcharge that most of the online retailers will for singles.

As for what to buy, that depends on your pallet and expectations. Put together your short list, then search the review forum for those cigars. Remember that taste is subjective, so look for construction issues or multiple good or bad reviews.

I would go with these:

Oliva Serie V torpedo
Padilla Signature 1932 Lancero

Also, have you ever had an Oliva Master Blend III? There are really good. :p

Oliva Serie V torpedo is a good choice... From what I hear, the demand for them is way over production, so they might be hard to come by in box form soon.

My first suggestion would be to get two of each. It is difficult to really make an informed decission on a cigar from only one experience, there are too many factors both in the cigar and in the atmosphere it was smoked in.

Second, I would reccomend contacting one of the retailers that contribute to this board. Al, Israel, Chris, Gaberiel, Mark to name a few. They will not charge you the rediculous upcharge that most of the online retailers will for singles.

As for what to buy, that depends on your pallet and expectations. Put together your short list, then search the review forum for those cigars. Remember that taste is subjective, so look for construction issues or multiple good or bad reviews.

Nailed it!

If you got sick off a Monte #2 I would definitely NOT go for the La Flor Domincana Double Ligero Chisel until you are a bit more seasoned cigar smoker. That being said I am big fan of the VSG, Padilla 1932, and Oliva Series V.

I'm planning on buying some cigars online (on e.g. cigars.com)

:0 :0 :0
Holy rip-off Batman. You can do better than that! Get boxes from the people on the board here.
Silocigars , TexCigars
just to name a few.

send them to my sister who lives in the US.

How do you know your sister won't smoke them all before you arrive? Do you really trust her that much? I would be very cautious......

Hi

I know that getting boxes will probably be the cheaper option but as I explained...we can only bring in a limited amount of tobacco to Norway :angry: So that is why I want to buy singles this time to get a variety of brands and sizes :laugh:

Hi

I checked the Oliva Serie V Torpedo. A single is 6.75$ and per cigar in a box from http://www.silocigars.com they are 6$. I don't think the price difference is that huge when I'm just buying 1 or 2. I guess the problem is being from Norway...I'm used to a Monetecristo no 2 is 32$ per cigar in a 3 pack so I'm used to cigars being quite expensive.

If it were me I could probably do without these:

Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur Maduro Epicure
Gran Habano 3 Siglos Gran Robusto
The Edge Sumatra Toro
Carlos Torano Exodus 1959

...But just my biased opinion.

I would substitute that with:

Cabaiguan Guapo of some sort
Illusione (any I guess)
A larger Tatuaje (such as a Cojonu or RC)
And a Padron 64 or 26

Of course there is no reason to buy cigars according to my tastes but since you asked...

I suggest ordering from Silo Cigars for some of these, Cigars.com is a rip-off generally.

-mark

Here's what I'd pick and in no particular order

Tatuaje Noella
Oliva Serie V torpedo
Ashton VSG (Virgin Sun Grown) torpedo
La Flor Domincana Double Ligero Chisel
Don Pepin Garcia Cuban Classic 1979
Padilla Signature 1932 Lancero

Hi

Bringing cigars/cigarettes into Norway is not that easy as we are only allowed to bring in 250g (about 9 ounces) duty free when we travel...we can bring in more but after the first 9 ounces we have to pay about 10$ per ounce of tobacco. Well, enough with the complaining of Norwegian taxes :blush: I'm planning on buying some cigars online (on e.g. cigars.com) and send them to my sister who lives in the US. My mum is heading over to the States soon i'll get her to bring the cigars back. So what I'm thinking about is buying 10-20 cigars to give me a variety of taste. Here are some of the cigars that I have put on the list so far:

• [*]Oliva Serie V torpedo

[*]Ashton VSG (Virgin Sun Grown) torpedo
  • Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur Maduro Epicure

[*]San Cristobal Monumento
  • La Flor Domincana Double Ligero Chisel

[*]Don Pepin Garcia Cuban Classic 1979

[*]Gran Habano 3 Siglos Gran Robusto
  • Padilla Signature 1932 Lancero

[*]The Edge Sumatra Toro
  • Carlos Torano Exodus 1959
  • Tatuaje Noella

Do you have any advice for a newbie? Should I buy smaller and cheaper cigars? At the moment I have looked at the top 25 list at http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/CA_To...0,4320,,00.html . Got any advice? Thanks in advance,

For my money ... and based on my own personal tastes you cannot go wrong with the ones I have noted above.