• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Which do you prefer? Natural or Maduro?

domlee

Just thought I would ask.
Which type of wrapper do you prefer? Natural or Maduro? (and perhaps...why?)
I'm still new to cigars...and haven't had the opportunity to try a Maduro.

Prefer a corojo or oscuro wrapper, really. Natural, if the only options I have are natural and maduro. Maduros are getting to taste too sweet to me.

Natural.

I really like the initial sweetness of the Maduro, but the finish really turns me off. I think the only Maddie I have liked is the Gurkha Fuerta X.

I keep trying the Maddies, I refuse to give up.

sun grown for me, then maduros. If and when you try a maduro, I'd recommend a padron maddy. Won't let you down.

It really depends on the line/vitola for me...

Padrons I almost universally prefer the Maduro
with La Gloria Cubanas I keep turning to the natruals after years of preferring the maddies.

The Fuente stuff I'll take a Maduro over a natural or (gag) Cameroon, but Sungrown trumps them all.

Currently I think the only Maduro in my humidor is an Anejo (does that even count as maduro?) where as a year ago there would have been a much higher ratio of Maduros to Natrual...

Searched for +maduro +natural and +wrapper +preference.  These were all first page results.

Edit: Pasted a link twice, not searching link #4 again

Like cuppajack, it depends on the individual line for me, but I tend toward non-maduros generally. In fact, the only maduro I can think of off the top of my head that I prefer over a natural of the same cigar would be Padron. With Fuente (green line) it's pretty much a toss-up; I like both natural and maduro equally, but find both to be a bit mild for my taste. Every other time I've tried a cigar in both a natural and maduro version, I've liked the natural better. I don't really know why that is, but I suspect it's because some manufacturers use questionable methods for making maduro wrapper and/or don't worry as much about how the maduros come out because they're probably a much smaller portion of their sales. Maybe I'm way off here, but that's my guess.

Of course, as many have stated, there are also corojo, sungrown, and Cameroon wrappers to consider, which I suppose might be "natural," but when I see "natural wrapper" I think of Sumatra or Connecticut, neither of which I am especially fond of in general. If you want to try maduros, I would recommend a Padron 2000 and an AF 858. They are both readily available, cheap, but quite good, maduro wrapped cigars that I think almost everyone likes (or can at least tolerate). They are also both available with non-maduro wrappers (sungrown and cameroon, respectively) so you can buy those as well and compare the flavors if you wish. If you can spend a little more, or if you try a cheaper maduro, like it, and want to try more, you should try an Ashton Aged Maduro - these are very, very good, mediumish cigars.

I just remembered, I like the NC Punch double maduro / oscuro much more than I like the natural (which I will not buy again). IMHO an oscuro Punch rothschild is a damn fine $2.00 smoke. I just don't smoke often enough right now to need or want a $2.00 stick when I do get a chance to enjoy a cigar. If I ever get to the point that I am smoking more than 2 or 3 times per week I may very well buy a box of these to keep around.

Thanks Frank, I am having a lot of trouble with posting links and pics the last few days. In raw html the link showed up as being posted 4 times actually, just no text tag.

While I haven't been smoking for very long, thus far I prefer naturals over maduros. Naturals are just a lot smoother in my experience. I am still going to try some Padron maduros though as many swear by them.

Don't smoke a ton of Maduros any more and haven't in some time. I believe the only ones in the humi at present are Padrone 64 & 26s, Hemingways, & Anejos. Although I must confess, I just smoked a four year old Prodomo Estate Seleccion in Maduro about two weeks ago, and it was delicious. I doubt it will be much longer before a box or two of these are residing in my humi as well.

Usually it's gonna be a sungrown or a maduro for me. Reason being? There are a couple. Maduros have a special sweetness that i enjoy. I also tend to like medium to full bodied cigars and/or ones with more flavor. There are some damn flavorful lighter wrapped cigars out there (Zino Platinum comes to mind), but normally the above two are what i'm gonna reach for when i have the choice (and given that i rarely stray too far from my cabinet humi without the companionship of my travel box i usually do). :cool:

Back