• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Whisky Galore Bowmore 16 Year Old

cigardawg

Whisky Galore Bowmore 16 Year Old Islay Scotch. Distilled in 1987 and bottled in 2004. Aged in Oak. Unchillfiltered. Bottled at 46%. Standard tall bottle, no additional packaging.

DSCN0223.jpg

Color: Chardonnay. Cloudy when chilled.

Nose: The nose is oaky-smokey with some fruit esters for sweetness. The ice brings down the oak and releases the esters to a greater degree. After time, the smoke also increases. Not a complex nose.

Taste: Neat, there are tastes of light smoke, oak and malt. The esters don't come through. The ice tames the alcohol allowing a more intense smokey flavor.. As it waters down, the esters finally come through, though not to any great degree.

Finish: Short finish. It is slightly astringent with some smoke. A bit of oakiness hangs around as well.

Balance: This is a very straight forward, un-complex scotch. It delivers exactly what the nose seems to promise. This bottle only costs around $30 and is well worth it. I've had several friends seek this out after trying it.

You need to say that the $30 price is a special sale from Binny's. I looked around and the absolute cheapest was $51 with most $60-70 if you can't get the Binny's price.

Interesting review, for $30 I have to agree it would be a good deal, for $60 I think there would be others I'd look at.

WOW, for $30.00 that's a heck of a deal! At this early point in my single malt career, I'm a huge Islay fan and I've been trying to find an affordable one so I don't finish off my fancy ones. :laugh: AVB found a liquor store near me that has Lagavulin 16yo for less than $50.00 so I've already bought three bottles. :0

This Bowmore Whisky Galore 16yo sure sounds like one I should add. Tonight's dram was Caol Ila 18yo. :)

Thanks for the review Scot! :thumbs:

You need to say that the $30 price is a special sale from Binny's. I looked around and the absolute cheapest was $51 with most $60-70 if you can't get the Binny's price.

Interesting review, for $30 I have to agree it would be a good deal, for $60 I think there would be others I'd look at.

You are right on many counts. I should have mentioned the Binny's pricing (good until the 26th of this month). You are also right about the $50-$60 range...many more that I would turn to at that range. Sorry for the confusion.

WOW, for $30.00 that's a heck of a deal! At this early point in my single malt career, I'm a huge Islay fan and I've been trying to find an affordable one so I don't finish off my fancy ones. :laugh: AVB found a liquor store near me that has Lagavulin 16yo for less than $50.00 so I've already bought three bottles. :0

This Bowmore Whisky Galore 16yo sure sounds like one I should add. Tonight's dram was Caol Ila 18yo. :)

Thanks for the review Scot! :thumbs:

The Bowmore 12 year is IMO an amazing bargain. I can get it up here for around 36CAD. One of my favorites for sure. I like it better than Lagavulin 16.