• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Who has been the victim of fake cigars?

nosajwp

Just found out today that the Opus I listed for trade were fakes (my sincerest apologies to the member on the other end of that trade)!!! I had no idea, and never really thought to check, but you can be sure I will check from now on! I got them from one of those "discount cigarette" stores, which I don't usually shop in, but I used to check them from time to time for good deals. Well, never again!

I just wanted to see who else had fallen victim to fake cigars. It seems there are a lot of fake Opus out there, but what other brands have the problem of counterfeits (so I will know what to look out for)?

I've read the Cohiba's are often conterfeited. I just try and make sure I buy from reliable sources, and even more...people on this site. Problem solved for the most part.

In the cigar discussion there are quite a few examples of fake labels for padron's and opus.

It seems that my other Opus was fake too, but I'm not 100% sure. I have some other older cigars that I know are real, and the oils in the wrappers have soaked into the labels, changing their appearance significantly. It's possible this could have happened to the Opus too.

Now I'm concerned about some of my other stash, and will be carefully examining everything.

I don't think I can call myself a victim of them, but I did get some bunk cubans from Vitasea here on CP :rolleyes:

I have been offered fake PAMs but didn't buy them from the A hole. Received a fake PSD 4 as well, I didn't smoke it but I paid for it so perhaps that counts as victimization.

CYG

Oh, I forgot,

ME :laugh:

Just about everytime I participated in a pass on CigarWeakly and I took a "Cuban " :rolleyes: cigar out of a pass, it was a fake. They looked good when I "took" them but the true test was when I smoked them.

A good reason to never participate in passes over on that site........

Just found out today that the Opus I listed for trade were fakes (my sincerest apologies to the member on the other end of that trade)!!! I had no idea, and never really thought to check, but you can be sure I will check from now on! I got them from one of those "discount cigarette" stores, which I don't usually shop in, but I used to check them from time to time for good deals. Well, never again!

hrm... how was it determined that the Opus in question were fake? Curious on this one... anyone have pictures of them?

The labels were all wrong (compared them to the Opus/Anejo thread), and they were rolled pretty poorly. The outsides were bumpy and not smooth at all.

This bites because I was looking forward to a really nice first trade!

The labels were all wrong (compared them to the Opus/Anejo thread), and they were rolled pretty poorly. The outsides were bumpy and not smooth at all.

This bites because I was looking forward to a really nice first trade!

Whomever has these cigars, I'd love to have them myself... to take a picture of the fake vs. real cigars.

Where did you obtain these cigars?

I helped a friend avoid a few in the PI. He was going to get a bunch of Cubans for a friend's wedding and took me with him. Most were blatantly bad fakes, some were almost close. None passed the "Can I see the box?" test or "What was the box code?" test except for one small store at the airport, and their prices matched up with the real thing. They looked real enough and he bought some, but I never gave any the ultimate flame test.