• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Who is member google.com?

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
23 user(s) active in the past 15 minutes
Active Users 8 guests, 12 members 3 anonymous members
jacknife, Maludik, SFG75, ALostTexan, MonkeyK, dixieland_conjunction, Google.com, half full monty, other1, psyktek, threei, Randyb1, Scott1966
Show detailed by: Last Click, Member Name

Google.com isn't a linked name to a member profile like everyone else. Are you keeping track of Google hits Rod?

Google.com is the google search engine. They're indexing us...

Rod said:
Google.com is the google search engine. They're indexing us...
[snapback]150267[/snapback]​

Sure, that's normal... but WTF is Google.com doing using the Personal Messenger? That's one smart indexing bot if it is sending/reading private messages...

google_pms.jpg

Feeling a little paranoid this morning Andrew? :whistling:

There is a script I use at the other site that limits all bots to view only threads and not PM's

One would think they couldn't view PM's to start with. Isn't that why they are called PRIVATE Messages?

AVB said:
One would think they couldn't view PM's to start with. Isn't that why they are called PRIVATE Messages?
[snapback]151810[/snapback]​

...which makes what I saw in that screenshot all the more mysterious...

It follows all links doesn't it? It probably followed the link on a post to personal message the person that posted it.

moki said:
AVB said:
[snapback]151810[/snapback]​

...which makes what I saw in that screenshot all the more mysterious...
[snapback]151824[/snapback]​

that is quite odd.... I dont know of any major holes in invision, but if I was a cracker looking to probe the board, I'd mask myself as google.com....

Hell, I know another programmer who wrote a nice web crawler script and it identifies itself as google's spider to keep people from getting too suspicious...

is it ethical, no.... does it happen anyway? yah....

The bots cannot view your personal PM's, don't worry.

There is a conspiracy that Google is closely affiliated with the US Government. You need a security clearance to work for Google. Strange... Doesn't it make you wonder why google wants to index everything in the world, including your personal email? I don't trust their desktop search utility either. In any case, PM's are private and bots don't have access to them. They would have to break the MD5 encryption and that's not gonna happen.

I will send that screenshot to the author of the program to hear what he has to say...

Rod said:
The bots cannot view your personal PM's, don't worry.

There is a conspiracy that Google is closely affiliated with the US Government. You need a security clearance to work for Google. Strange... Doesn't it make you wonder why google wants to index everything in the world, including your personal email? I don't trust their desktop search utility either. In any case, PM's are private and bots don't have access to them. They would have to break the MD5 encryption and that's not gonna happen.

I will send that screenshot to the author of the program to hear what he has to say...
[snapback]152319[/snapback]​
I am not exactly sure what MD5 encryption is. But I do know this, the NSA is a very powerful organization with deep pockets. They have a part in the design of all Cryptological devices and schemes used by the US military and diplomatic embassies. The way I see it, if they can design the hardware and actual coding scheme, they probably can decode most of what is considered Commercial Of The Shelf products. I have talked with a few CTO's in the Navy and some times they do some serious spook stuff. If the US govenment wants to know, they have the means to find out. Just about anything on the internet can be cracked and tracked. just my 2 cents.
I haven't heard the corellation between Google and the US Government. Do you have any links that support or debunk that claim?
Emo

I just heard back, google.com simply is following a link to the pm system, however it get's a dead page. So no, google is not reading your pm's.

Emo: I will see what I can find out regarding the relationship between google and the govt. Sorry I don't have any links. But why do you need a security clearance to work for google??? That is fact.

Rod said:
I just heard back, google.com simply is following a link to the pm system, however it get's a dead page. So no, google is not reading your pm's.

Emo: I will see what I can find out regarding the relationship between google and the govt. Sorry I don't have any links. But why do you need a security clearance to work for google??? That is fact.
[snapback]152463[/snapback]​

hrm. I know some people who work for Google, who do not have a governmental security clearances... I don't think there is anything ominous about what Google does -- many other companies have been doing it for a very long time, Google just happened to do it best.

The need for something like Google comes not from a governmental conspiracy, but rather because of the chaotic nature of the world wide web. Information is not useful unless you can access it... it's all well and good that there's a web site on just about everything, but if no one knows they exist, what's the point?

Indeed, I found CigarPass.com because of a google search on "cigar forums" ;)

emodx said:
I am not exactly sure what MD5 encryption is. But I do know this, the NSA is a very powerful organization with deep pockets. They have a part in the design of all Cryptological devices and schemes used by the US military and diplomatic embassies. The way I see it, if they can design the hardware and actual coding scheme, they probably can decode most of what is considered Commercial Of The Shelf products. I have talked with a few CTO's in the Navy and some times they do some serious spook stuff. If the US govenment wants to know, they have the means to find out. Just about anything on the internet can be cracked and tracked. just my 2 cents.
I haven't heard the corellation between Google and the US Government. Do you have any links that support or debunk that claim?
Emo
[snapback]152327[/snapback]​

MD5 is based on a one-way function... A mathmatical function that can be easily performed but not proven? I think thats the definition.. its been a long time...

In english, think of it this way... If I take some clay and make a really nice cigar ashtray and fire it in a kiln.... when it comes out of the oven, its an ashtray, and its really pretty easy to make.....

If I take that ashtray and smash it to hundreds of pieces, its not going back together.

A one-way function works like that, only instead of clay and an ashtray, we're working with 100+ digit long primes and a computer....