• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Who "owns" the moon?

mrjinglesusa

CP Chemist
http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/space/11/15/c...reut/index.html

:laugh:

Basically, some Chinese affiliate of a US company was selling plots of the Moon for ~$37/acre. You get the rights to the lunar soil and any minerals up to 2 miles under your acre. Regulators in China stopped the sale after only a couple of days citing "speculation and lunacy".

Food for thought: Who "owns" the Moon and has the right to sell pieces of it to idiots?

Considering we (America) are the only ones to actually go there, via a Hollywood studio according to some, then I would make the assumption that the ownership rights belong to us. Unless of course we went there just to help bring democracy to it's soil. Then, we have to give it back to the natives at some point. It'll take some time to get their Armys trained though. ;)

You can also by a star and have it named after you or a loved one and it will then appear on star charts with your name. Crazy people everywhere.

I would think the United States would own it, since we were the first ones to land on it. That would be rather to cool to own some of the moon though.

I can't sell you a piece of the moon, but if it's a bridge you are after do I have a deal for you!

"speculation and lunacy"

Hahahaha.... clever wordplay.... lunacy, get it? :laugh:

I heard from Fox news that George Dubyah owns the moon. Supposed to be in the Constitution somewhere....

:p Darren :rolleyes:

Nathan Rahl said:
I would think the United States would own it, since we were the first ones to land on it. That would be rather to cool to own some of the moon though.
[snapback]250198[/snapback]​
Ahhh, but we placed a plaque there that stated "We came in Peace for all Mankind". I suspect an enterprising lawyer would be able to imply that we forfeited all claims to ownership with that statement.

Besides, we left it drifting out there in space, that makes it fair game for salvage right?

edit for speeling :)

thanks for a good laugh celt.My cat was sitting here and spazed out when she saw them singing was almost as funny as the clip.

Legally I think that If we were the first ones to go to the moon then we were the first to reduce it to ownership by walking on it. I think there would be a clear case that the US owns it because in past cases of previously unowned space material (see Sylacauga, Alabama meteorite case 1954) All you really have to do is have it hit you in the leg and that is close enough for the courts. The only problem I see is that we haven't been back in some time but since there isn't any documented time limit for abandonment of a moon we should be pretty safe in assuming it is still ours, especially with all of the good lawyers America has at its disposal :p .

A shorter answer (if any of you listen to Eddie Izzard) is that a piece of land doesn't belong to anyone until you put a flag on it, we did so its ours, and we can back it up with our military. :laugh:

CYG

Captain Leafheart said:
I would think the United States would own it, since we were the first ones to land on it.
You sure about that? :rolleyes:

CvilleYoungGun said:
and we can back it up with our military.
Is that where W is sending troops next? :(
[snapback]250242[/snapback]​

First answer was the legal theory answer the second one was...
Eddie Izzard :rolleyes:

Someone has to know his comedy right?

CYG

By my understanding of the 1967 U.N. Treaty on Principles Governing the Activities of States in the Exploration and Use of Outer Space, including the Moon and Other Celestial Bodies (also known as the Outer Space Treaty), no one state or person can own the Moon.

Double D said:
You can also by a star and have it named after you or a loved one and it will then appear on star charts with your name. Crazy people everywhere.
[snapback]250196[/snapback]​

Read the fine print... It's a scam...

International Star Registry:

"International Star Registry star naming is not recognized by the scientific community. Your star’s name is reserved in Internatnal Star Registry records only."

StarNamer:

Will my star name be officially recognized?
Our registry and star catalog are not coordinated with the scientific community. Therefore, you won’t have some astrophysicist calling your star “John Smith.” They will continue to use the telescopic coordinates, since it is more convenient for them. Naming a star is a symbolic gesture on your part that shows your sincere appreciation for the person being named.

Universal Star Council:

Q: Is Universal Star Council the only organization that can name stars?

A: Universal Star Council's products are intended for the sole purpose as a unique "novelty" gift one can share with their friends and family. Only the International Astronomical Union has the authority to assign names to stars, but they only recognize stars by assigning them numbers. Various numbering conventions are in use, so the same star can have a different scientific reference number in the Smithsonian catalog, the Messier catalog, or the Hubble Telescope Guide Star Catalog. Universal Star Council internally recognizes and acknowledges the names it assigns to stars in the Universal Star Council Archives and will never name a star more than once. Universal Star Council also acknowledges the fact there may be people who do not officially recognize the names they assign to the stars (Professional astronomers will always prefer to use a star's IAU number vs. "Mom's Star"). We have no control over any other entity operating a similar service or the business of any scientific, governmental or other body.

Here's what the International Astronomical Union has to say about naming stars, or "buying" plots on planets.

The IAU frequently receives requests from individuals who want to buy star names or name stars after other persons. Some commercial enterprises purport to offer such services for a fee. However, such "names" have no formal or official validity whatever: A few bright stars have ancient, traditional Arabic names, but otherwise stars have just catalogue numbers and positions on the sky. Similar rules on "buying" names apply to star clusters and galaxies as well. For bodies in the Solar System, special procedures for assigning official names apply, but in no case are commercial transactions involved.

As an international scientific organization, the IAU dissociates itself entirely from the commercial practice of "selling" fictitious star names or "real estate" on other planets or moons in the Solar System. Accordingly, the IAU maintains no list of the (several competing) enterprises in this business in individual countries of the world. Readers wanting to contact such enterprises despite the explanations given below should search commercial directories in their country of origin.

In the past, certain such enterprises have suggested to customers that the IAU is somehow associated with, recognizes, approves, or even actively collaborates in their business. The IAU wishes to make it totally clear that any such claim is patently false and unfounded. The IAU will appreciate being informed, with appropriate documentation, of all cases of illegal abuse of its name, and will pursue all documented cases by all available means.

Thus, like true love and many other of the best things in human life, the beauty of the night sky is not for sale, but is free for all to enjoy. True, the 'gift' of a star may open someone's eyes to the beauty of the night sky. This is indeed a worthy goal, but it does not justify deceiving people into believing that real star names can be bought like any other commodity. Despite some misleading hype several companies compete in this business, both nationally and internationally. And already in our own Milky Way there may be millions of stars with planets whose inhabitants have equal or better rights than we to name 'their' star, like humans have done with the Sun (which of course itself has different names in different languages).

Tell ya what...y'all keep the pretty little balls of gas or rock. I want everything else...

----------------------------

NOTICE OF CLAIM

I. DECLARATION

A. I, PetersCreek (hereinafter referred to as CLAIMANT), hereby lay claim to SPACE and all non-stellar and non-planetary material therein.

B. Said SPACE is to include all areas and dimensions (both known and yet to be discovered) in and of the universe in toto as well as all concomitant materials of a non-stellar and non-planetary nature.

C. CLAIMANT reserves all rights and privileges pertaining to SPACE, to wit:
(1) Rights to mining, recovery, salvage, and other methods used to exploit natural and artificial resources are sole right of CLAIMANT.
(2) Insofar as Zero Point Energy (hereinafter referred to as ZPE) permeates all space through various processes, and therefore, recovery of said ZPE at any point equates to the recovery from any other point in the universe, CLAIMANT asserts and claims all ZPE throughout the universe, regardless of existing or future claims or easements.

II. EXEMPTIONS

A. In deference to existing and future claims of stellar and planetary bodies, CLAIMANT herein grant spatial easements to said claimholders as follows:

(1) Planets: 1 AU
(2) Stars: 1 ParSec
(3) Galaxies: As in (1) and (2) above. All other intervening SPACE within galactic boundaries defaults to CLAIMANT.
(4) Special considerations:
(a) When two or more claims have conflicting easements, the boundaries of said easements shall be at a distance halfway between the centers of mass of all bodies concerned.
(b) All spatial easements are fixed. At no time will the intrinsic expansion of the universe indicate or imply the proportional expansion of easements.

III. CONCESSIONS, TAXES, AND ORDINANCES

A. Right of Way is hereby granted for ordinary uses and legal commerce. Commercial operations taking place outside of spatial easements must contact CLAIMANT to arrange fair and equitable use fees.

B. With due concern for public safety and the existing laws of physics, CLAIMANT declares that the universal speed limit shall remain at c unless otherwise dictated or allowed by other principles yet to be discovered. Gravitational rates of acceleration will be determined locally.

C. No loud music.

IV. STATEMENT OF LIABILITY

A. CLAIMANT makes no warranty, expressed or implied, as to the suitability of the space within or adjacent to any easement for any purpose intended or desired.

B. Faults, deficiencies, anomalies, disasters and other unsatisfactory conditions or events existing or occurring within easements are solely the responsibility of the respective claimholders.

C. CLAIMANT shall not be responsible for damages to persons or property within any easement that are caused by events within another easement. Such claims for damage will be made against the respective claimholder.

----------------------------

So there.

America. Because we have The Bomb. :p

(and are alone in having demonstrated the capacity to use it.)

JK

Greetings from the Moonitian Frontier! It is actually a little-known fact that entertainer Dudu Fisher owns the moon. Ha ha! Just kidding! With a name like that, though, Dudu certainly has as much right to stake claim to the moon as anyone does. Really, though, Space Ranger Rocky Jones staked claim to the moon many years ago. As they used to say on Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In, "Look that up in your Funk and Wagnalls!" Cheerio, knightlaird

mrjinglesusa said:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/space/11/15/c...reut/index.html

:laugh:

Basically, some Chinese affiliate of a US company was selling plots of the Moon for ~$37/acre. You get the rights to the lunar soil and any minerals up to 2 miles under your acre. Regulators in China stopped the sale after only a couple of days citing "speculation and lunacy".

Food for thought: Who "owns" the Moon and has the right to sell pieces of it to idiots?
[snapback]250185[/snapback]​

My international agreement, no one owns the moon.

That is, until my development group purchased it. We're announcing a "Pay per view" program soon... I think it's going to be a raging success!