• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Why are some cigars stronger then others

moki

el Presidente
I've heard people mention that, for instance, the Opus X xXx PowerRanger is the strongest of the Opus X line. Why is that? Is it just the size/shape of the cigar? I'd think the wrapper, filler, etc. would be the same for cigars from the same line?

What explains the strength differences between, say, a Robusto and Churchill of the same cigar family?

Inquiring FNG's wanna know...

From one FNG to another... I think that has something to do with it. Size is an inherent difference between a certain line of cigars. The rest is probably mental. :)

Well as another even newer FNG

The thicker the cigar the more tobacco can go in the blend and the cooler the smoke.

The less unburning tobacco through which the smoke gets filtered (the shorter the cigar) the stonger the smoke.

Here's a good brief article on the rolling of a cigar. Note what it says about the blender putting boxes of leaf on the rollers table and instructing them on how much of each leaf to use for the cigar they are rolling. For the most part. the blending will change for different size cigars. Where a roller may be instructed to use 1 leaf from box A and 3 leafs from box B and 2 leafs from box C for a Corona, he may well be instructed to use 2 leafs from box A and 1 leaf from box B and 1 leaf from box C to make a Petit Corona of the same cigar. Its a combination of blending and wrapper that can change the taste profile of a cigar within the brand.

Click Here!

Allofus123 said:
Here's a good brief article on the rolling of a cigar. Note what it says about the blender putting boxes of leaf on the rollers table and instructing them on how much of each leaf to use for the cigar they are rolling. For the most part. the blending will change for different size cigars. Where a roller may be instructed to use 1 leaf from box A and 3 leafs from box B and 2 leafs from box C for a Corona, he may well be instructed to use 2 leafs from box A and 1 leaf from box B and 1 leaf from box C to make a Petit Corona of the same cigar. Its a combination of blending and wrapper that can change the taste profile of a cigar within the brand.

Click Here!
Cool article, I shall read it after finishing my reply here.

This brings up two more questions for me. So there is no real rule of thumb that can be applied to every cigar company in terms of a particular size/shape of the cigar being stronger/weaker than others? It's more brand-specific?

Secondly, is "Robusto" a strength, or a shape? Or both? I'd thought it was a shape...

moki said:
Allofus123 said:

Click Here!
Cool article, I shall read it after finishing my reply here.

This brings up two more questions for me. So there is no real rule of thumb that can be applied to every cigar company in terms of a particular size/shape of the cigar being stronger/weaker than others? It's more brand-specific?

Secondly, is "Robusto" a strength, or a shape? Or both? I'd thought it was a shape...
Robusto is a size of cigar usually @ 5 X 50 but not always

doesn't strenght have to do with the type of leaf that is used? milder leaves come from lower on the plant, stronger leaves at the top because they get more sun and contain more nicotine.

clown said:
doesn't strenght have to do with the type of leaf that is used? milder leaves come from lower on the plant, stronger leaves at the top because they get more sun and contain more nicotine.
yep, it does indeed... but I was talking specifically about cigars that are all from the same line, with varying degrees of strength of the smokes in the different sizes from that same line.

...and whether any generalizations can be made about this, or if it is very brand-dependent.

Presumably, the same tobacco is used in cigars from the same line, to give them a consistent taste/flavor/strength.

Call me crazy, but I like the idea that cigar making is as much an art as it is a science. I also like the fact that you have to smoke every size of a line to know what you've actually got, and I don't even earn my living in the cigar industry. A good cigar is a pleasurable moment. A bad cigar is an education! LOL! :D

The FILLER leaf that usally gives a cigar its kick or lack there of is called LEGRO :love: ! Like the FD Chisel is a stronger cigar cause of the double LEGRO :D . And this is not a mesured amount of tobacco........This is where the "art" of cigar rolling gets its title of being an art form not a job!!

I read a very long article about these very questions awhile back. It answered these questions plus many more that you will come up with down the road.

I will do my best to find this article and let you know where to catch it at.