• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

WHY Cuban Cigars?

To me, people who think there's a bunch've crap cuban's or mediocre ones, are probably getting fakes. There's a ton of fakes out there and the really good ones are rolled in cuba with cuban leaf, but the blends are screwed and there's too much short filler. I've gotten one box that slipped into a normal channel, it happens.

Are you seriously, honestly, truly going to attempt to tell me that I've been getting fakes?

Christ... what an asshat.

No, I didn't even read your post, did I quote you or something? You know your cigars better than me, if you think a bunch've the cuban mainline stuff is crap than I'd be interested to hear your thoughts as I don't smoke a bunch've the more random stuff from the smaller houses. I was referring to in general I've been seeing a lot of people that are casually trying cubans and think the cuban's are mediocre and in fact are getting a good mix of fakes. You've been around enough to see various reports of fakes being put accidentally in passes, obviously people who are new to it are seeing that.

To me, people who think there's a bunch've crap cuban's or mediocre ones, are probably getting fakes. There's a ton of fakes out there and the really good ones are rolled in cuba with cuban leaf, but the blends are screwed and there's too much short filler. I've gotten one box that slipped into a normal channel, it happens.

Are you seriously, honestly, truly going to attempt to tell me that I've been getting fakes?

No, I didn't even read your post, did I quote you or something? You know your cigars better than me, if you think a bunch've the cuban mainline stuff is crap than I'd be interested to hear your thoughts as I don't smoke a bunch've the more random stuff from the smaller houses. I was referring to in general I've been seeing a lot of people that are casually trying cubans and think the cuban's are mediocre and in fact are getting a good mix of fakes. You've been around enough to see various reports of fakes being put accidentally in passes, obviously people who are new to it are seeing that.
This guy is funny! We have obviously chosen to keep him. Although the same could be said of the pirate.

The smaller houses? Like...Vegas Robaina? Trinidad? Saint Luis Rey? Ramon Allones? A marca doesn't have to have a massive percentage of the worldwide market like Montecristo to be considered good. The brands I listed above are all considered 2nd tier or lower in terms of name recognition and production yet each of them make cigars that rival anything the "1st tier" labels such as Partagas, Cohiba, RyJ, HdM, etc. do. For example, The VR Don Alejandro is an astonishingly good double corona; Trinidad's Fundadore, an oversize lonsdale, is exquisite; Saint Luis Rey's Serie A is a top notch corona gorda; and The RASS is considered an outstanding example of what a Cuban Robusto can be.

There's a lot more to Cuban's than Monte No.2's (admittedly one of my favorites as well) so don't equate popularity with quality. Starbucks is everywhere but I'd rather drink coffee almost anywhere else.

- Tim

The smaller houses? Like...Vegas Robaina? Trinidad? Saint Luis Rey? Ramon Allones? A marca doesn't have to have a massive percentage of the worldwide market like Montecristo to be considered good. The brands I listed above are all considered 2nd tier or lower in terms of name recognition and production yet each of them make cigars that rival anything the "1st tier" labels such as Partagas, Cohiba, RyJ, HdM, etc. do. For example, The VR Don Alejandro is an astonishingly good double corona; Trinidad's Fundadore, an oversize lonsdale, is exquisite; Saint Luis Rey's Serie A is a top notch corona gorda; and The RASS is considered an outstanding example of what a Cuban Robusto can be.

There's a lot more to Cuban's than Monte No.2's (admittedly one of my favorites as well) so don't equate popularity with quality. Starbucks is everywhere but I'd rather drink coffee almost anywhere else.

- Tim

Very well said! Vegas Robaina is one of my favorite Marcas from the island. I just want to add don't sleep on the Trini Reyes or the SLR Lonsdale. ;)

But seriously, cigars from Cuba are no different than any other country. Some are great, some are terrible, and a lot are in between. Oh, and I don't buy the Lithium thing; its the weed that creates the euphoric feeling :cool:

I agree complete with the statement that they are no different, in that some are good, some are lousy, and a lot are in between.

I'll add that the only person who can decide what goes into each category is you.

When you sit down and smoke a Cohiba Siglo VI, or even a Monte or Partagas number 2, you know something's different. I mean, bam, in your face, this is different like a first growth french. Some are epic.

:rolleyes:

- Tim

That was my thought, I smoke more of the common stuff from Cohiba, Partagas, Trinidad & Montecristo, and probably Upmann. I love all of them and the only time I really get something that I'd call "all-right," it's a poor construction. They definitely have some hits and misses and a lot of the cuban stuff spends a large time in transit depending on where it comes from. There's not a whole lot of cigars I've smoked in that place that I'd say compare evenly to the majority of what's sitting on the shelf at a B&M. But that's just me.

There's a ton of other, smaller houses out there: Belinda, Cuaba, El Rey, Fonseca, Piedra, Juan Lopez, Por Larranga, Quintero, you name it. Maybe some of their stuff is more mediocre, who knows. I'd imagine they have some pretty damn good stuff that's on par with the best Cohiba and Montecristo can offer. To my taste, I don't smoke a bunch've well-constructed cuban cigars that are anything less than great.

Por Larranaga and Vegas Robaina are my most purchased Cuban cigars. Smaller production does not mean lesser quality, by no means.