• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Why do all my cigars go bad?

snipes1027

No matter what cigar I pull from my humidor it seems that around the middle to the last third it starts to taste really bad. Whatever flavors that I might have been able to distinguish vanish and are replaced with a terrible taste and sometimes smell, which also tends to make me feel really ill. Can anyone give me a diagnosis? I usually have something to drink so that shouldn't be the issue, and I light with either a butane torch or soft flame. I also usually purge them after lighting. I am smoking multiple brands and a mixture of strengths and wrappers. For the life of me I can't figure it out.

1.) quit smoking crappy cigars
2) Take a puff once a minute and no earlier.
3.) sip your cigar, slowly.
4.) When cigar gets nasty, purge, wait, then slowly puff again.

1) while i am not smoking padrons I would hardly call my cigars crappy so I don't think that is the issue.
2) I have sat with a timer and tried that but it didn't seem to help
3) same
4) have tried that as well.

No matter what cigar I pull from my humidor it seems that around the middle to the last third it starts to taste really bad. Whatever flavors that I might have been able to distinguish vanish and are replaced with a terrible taste and sometimes smell, which also tends to make me feel really ill.

1) while i am not smoking padrons I would hardly call my cigars crappy so I don't think that is the issue.

The first thought that came to mind is that you are smoking some real dog rockets from a $1 bin. You asked for advice without giving details of what cigars you smoke. So expect the dog rocket view from any poster till you clear up what exactly you have and whats in your humidor. Plus, are you keeping the cello on the cigars or just tossing them in on top of each other.

In short, we need more detail. From the first quote in how you describe how the cigars taste, it reminds me of the really cheap dog rockets I've smoked to save money. Details, details and more details. No need to get defensive either as you didn't inform us what you have and smoke. :p

I'm betting on RH. Too low and they lose the oils that give them flavor. Too high and it masks/changes the flavor.

Most people go with 65% although Fuente smokers often go with a higher RH.

65% is perfect for Nics.

Edit ti add: TRUST THE BEADS!!!

We are not mind readers...

No hygrometer? Analog hygrometer? Digital hygrometer? Salt tested?
Floral foam? Gel? Beads? Nothing?
Acids? Thompson specials? Opus X? Cubans from Miami?
42 ring guage? 56 ring guage?
Punch? Cigar cutter?

More detail in coming:

cigars: go I've been smoking through a don pepin garcia sampler, as well as random rocky patels, an olivia g series, cao black, and a few toranos I picked up in a cigar night bag from party source. Most things have been in toro size for testing purposes to find something I like for everyday cigars and to find what I like in general. I have been punching mostly with cuts maybe 5% of the time.

Humidor details: using beads and a little pg solution my digital weather station that I have rigged a sensor from and stuck in the humidor (an awesome idea btw) reads an almost boringly contant 65.4 degrees F and 70% RH

sorry if my reply list seemed defensive, it wasn't intended to be, when people sort into a list I feel the need to do them of courtesy of sorting my reply as well, and it does organize our random thoughts well.

I have been punching mostly with cuts maybe 5% of the time.

Avoid a cigar punch for awhile - try to achieve a nice clean cut using a traditional blade cutter. Punches can lead to tar build up issues and a hot draw if you are puffing the cigar too frequently or aggressively.

Humidor details: using beads and a little pg solution

Please explain how you are using the pg with the beads.

Buy a digital hygrometer - and a Boveda to caliberate it.

Check the expiration date. Maybe they are to old and have gone bad.

I literally just squirted some pg out of the bottle into my beads which are sitting my humi using the empty .22 ammo case technique :thumbs:

Why is a digital hygrometer necessary when I had an extra piece of the same technology just lying around that I can even monitor remotly without even opening my humi using the digital reciever?

No matter what cigar I pull from my humidor it seems that around the middle to the last third it starts to taste really bad. Whatever flavors that I might have been able to distinguish vanish and are replaced with a terrible taste and sometimes smell, which also tends to make me feel really ill. Can anyone give me a diagnosis? I usually have something to drink so that shouldn't be the issue, and I light with either a butane torch or soft flame. I also usually purge them after lighting. I am smoking multiple brands and a mixture of strengths and wrappers. For the life of me I can't figure it out.

I have been punching mostly with cuts maybe 5% of the time.

Avoid a cigar punch for awhile - try to achieve a nice clean cut using a traditional blade cutter. Punches can lead to tar build up issues and a hot draw if you are puffing the cigar too frequently or aggressively.

This was my first impression. Trying to smoke an over-humidified cigar through a small hole will lead to tar. Once it gets on your tongue, game over. Look for beads of "grasshopper spit," if you are tarring up, cut more off the head and smoke carefully.

Why is a digital hygrometer necessary when I had an extra piece of the same technology just lying around that I can even monitor remotly without even opening my humi using the digital reciever?
I have a weather station that I calibrated with a salt tested digital. The Base and the remote were separated by over 10 points sitting next to each other in the cabinet. In other words, you could be smoking cigars that are humidified to 80% just as easily as 60% and likely not 70%.

I literally just squirted some pg out of the bottle into my beads which are sitting my humi using the empty .22 ammo case technique :thumbs:

Only use distilled water on your beads - nothing else. Why did you use a pg solution? Personally I would buy new beads.

How have you tested your weatherstation for accuracy?

Only use distilled water on your beads - nothing else. Why did you use a pg solution? Personally I would buy new beads.

Yes on both (all three?) counts.

PG will satuate the beads and prevent them from function properly. They are probably fouled and won't ever work right going forward. Where did you get your beads...??

And, unless you spend hundreds of dollars, you can't < really > be sure about the RH reading on your hygrometer until you test it. Search "salt test" and you'll find plenty of info. I've always had good luck running the test in a large mason jar; excelent seal and you can easily see what's going on.

Good luck - B.B.S.

I had the same thing when I started. It was a combination of smoking too fast and overhumidification.

[edited to fix a missing sentence]

Noting that Snipes first post on CP was regarding mold in his humidor, I am curious if he's still using that same humidor?

Yes on both (all three?) counts.

PG will satuate the beads and prevent them from function properly. They are probably fouled and won't ever work right going forward. Where did you get your beads...??

Good luck - B.B.S.

FML. I wish I'd known this before I started using a 50/50 PG/DW solution to hydrate my beads... *fires up Heartfelt.com and buys another 1/2 lb, grumbling*

In addition to all the other posts I didn't read you might be just smoking your cigar too quickly. I have found that if you power through a cigar by the end it tastes like rancid feces.

In addition to all the other posts I didn't read you might be just smoking your cigar too quickly. I have found that if you power through a cigar by the end it tastes like rancid feces.
And exactly how would you know what rancid feces tastes like to make this comparison? On second thought, don't answer that question. LOL :sign: :laugh:

If you put PG solution on heartfelt beads they are most likely ruined. Buy more (65%) and only use distilled water.

Most of us here prefer a RH reading in the 62-65% range. In my opinion 70% is too high and will result in crappy burns/tastes like you've described in a lot of cigars. I was using CI's Humi care crystals in my humidor over the winter, but in the last few weeks they just felt a tad damp to me and didn't smoke right even though the hydrometer was reading about 65-67%. I put the beads in a week or so ago and they're smoking much better even though the hydrometer is still reading around 65%. Admittedly I haven't salt tasted the hydrometers in a few years, but the bottom line is trust the beads.

To add someting new I'm just curious what the weather is like where you are when you're smoking. If it's hot and humid out I've found certain cigars just won't smoke or taste right even if they were stored properly. They taste fine for the first part, but as the absorb the ambient humidity the 2nd part just doesn't taste the same. Bright sunlight beating down on the cigar while you're smoking it seems to make it worse.

I have experienced the same problem when smoking an over humidified cigar with a punch. Dry them out, and try a cutter. Even if the hygro is correct, I think 70 is too high for some of the thicker, darker wrapper smokes you have mentioned. I would stay between 60-65. As other have mentioned, no need for PG solution with beads. Get a gallon of distilled water and you are good for a while. Try spraying the water on the beads lightly, or sitting a small container of water in the humi and allowing the beads to soak it up. Good luck, and it sounds like you have plenty enough info to get yourself straightened out. Take care :thumbs:

Brandon