• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Why do you smoke cigars?

rnccen

I don't have a title
I started cigar smoking because the cigars looked more appealing than cigarettes. I had my first cigar a "White Owl" at a steak house in Pompano Beach Florida. I had no idea back then of the variety in the cigars.

Over time it became more of a quest to try many varieties of cigars, then the wife bought me a 50 count humidor for a fathers day gift with a variety from a local tobacconist in CT...then the habit started truly... :D

Now I smoke cigars because it is relaxing and provides more pleasure while playing cards, doing yard work, driving, reading the paper or book on the porch or out by the pool.

I still have never smoked a cigarette and don't understand the draw..the amount of tobacco in a cigarette pack is less than what is in a cheap cigar for the same price as a nice cigar..so now I am on a 2nd quest to convert friends that smoke cigarettes to cigars.

Rnccen

ive never smoked cigs either.

the first time i ever smoked anything was the day i turned 18. i bought a pack of black and milds for my underage friend and tried one. then i smoked those for a couple months then moved onto swishers and other gas station crap. after i moved to florida about 7 months ago i saw my first cigar shop (never saw one in chicago) and decided it was time to move onto the good stuff. i smoke them because it relaxes me and like the taste. smoking also makes for good male bonding time.

I used to smoke a pack to pack/half a day. Winston filter kings in a box.
Better part of 8 years.

Looking to step up I found cigars. Hated being a slave to my need. You can smoke a cigarette or two on a quick ten minute break. However for cigars you need to learn to set aside a block of time to fully appreciate the complexity of the experience.

Ever notice that cigarette smokers stick to one brand and are loyal to it unless they are mooching a smoke. Most cigar smokers have their favorites but are usually reaching out to try something new and gain a new experience.

I was raised a poor, lower middle-classed white kid. In HS I started drinking, smoked my share of herb, dabbled in some blvd pharmiceuticals, etc.....all because I thought it would make me cool. When I started making some real money, I wore Armani, Ferragamo, and Rolex because I thought I was cool. Then a good friend talked some sense into me. I quit all the crap and stopped masquerading as yuppy boy and just settled into who I was.

I started smoking cigars at a bachelor party in Las Vegas when I was 19 (1989). Once in a while I would pick up a cheap-assed stick wherever I could find it and smoked them when I went out. When my business was in full swing (1996), a client turned me on to real cigars - La Gloria Cubana. I had arrived. I was just being myself and smoked a decent stick whenever I wanted. I didn't have to try and be cool anymore - besides with a wad of cash in your pocket all the time, you ARE cool :p

Now I teach and coach Football. I enjoy a smoke now because it offers me some private time to just think (or not). It allows me to relax and reflect on how good life is. My kids are healthy, my wife is happy, and the paychecks keep coming. I love to give buddies smokes and share with strangers when my wife and I go places. It is definitely a male bonding thing - its's waaaay cool when ladies ask for them. At family events (my wife's - my family is all out of state or dead), all the guys pile outside to talk **** about the family drama and smoke a cigar or two.

My dad lives in Louisiana and we are mending a relationship (15 years of no contact). We Yahoo Messenger HERF about once a week now. Sometimes other family in Missouri see us on line and join in. Lots of fun. Life is too short for the BS to get to you.

I try to smoke in moderation (one a day - maybe two on the weekends), and save the better smokes for 'special' occasions. Since coming here to CP, my humi has more variety :thumbs:

**When I was 12, a friend and I snuck a pack of his dad's Marlboros. He smoked his, I tried but turned green and threw up for hours. His dad found out and the next time I was at his house, his dad made us finish the pack. I was sick for days after that. Never smoked a cigarette since.......cigarette lesson learned.

I guess I smoke for the same reasons as a lot of you, I just came down a different road.

M. Gipson :)

I've never smoked cigarettes -- I smoke cigars because I like the taste, and I find it very relaxing and enjoyable. :)

Hi, my name is Michael and I am a Cigar Addict. :(
I smoke cigars cause I have to, I must have that fix. Given the ability I would smoke 4 or 5 a day. As it stands I will beg, borrow or steal to get my next cigar. I am so ashamed of my filthy disgusting addiction but I just can't stop. <sobs> I have tried to quit, I just can't <blows nose> cause I am sick, I need help. <hangs head in shame>

:p I love cigars, I like the taste (most the time ??? ) and I like the relaxing part too.

I have never smoked a cigarette either.

I smoked my first cigar (an AF Hemingway) in college (GO GATORS!) with one of my roommates when another rommate we couldn't stand moved out. It wasn't a dorm, just an apartment complex near campus so it wasn't like we were stuck together so he only lived with us for a few months. Anyway back to the cigars...After that first cigar we would pick up a couple of sticks every once in a great while to smoke while playing cards and getting stupid. I continued to smoke probably one cigar a month for another year or two until my wife bought me my first humidor :D ....and so began the addiction.

I like smoking cigars because it's a great way to relax and BS with the guys. Plus I just like me some stogies :D

I already smoked cigs before I joined the Corps, there I started smoking cigars but usually just when out on field exercises. It was a lot of years before I moved up from machine mades to hand rolled ones. Now I don't smoke the coffin nails any longer (cold turkey 10 July 2001, after 34 years) but do have a cigar once a day and sometimes two on the weekends. I know that it will be an hour or so of "my time" and I enjoy that.

Cause I gave up smoking what I use to smoke :D and was looking for another way to chill after a long hard day.

Spending more $$$ on cigars than I did the other stuff but I can get away with it in public places without someone :0 ratting me out or asking me for a hit! :angry: !!

Thats where the name STYX&STONED :p comes from.......just swapping one bad habbit for another!!

I also never smoked cigarettes, just went straight to cigars.
Tried a cigarette back when i was 16, tired inhaling my first time and started coughing for about 2 minutes and never touched a cigarette again.
I smoke cigars because they're very relaxing and i love the taste. :)

I have smoked cigars for years I used to steal my fathers Garci Vega candellas and smoke them but did that mostly because we thought we were getting away with something. Now I smoke because I like the flavor/smell ans it is a good way to unwind at the end of the day. Funny thing though my father still smokes GV but everytime he comes over there seems to be a few stick missing from the humdor, Pay back can be a bitch

I'm not the least bit afraid to say that I smoke shearly for the relaxation of it all. I'm blessed (or cursed) w/ a good palate...but I don't much care. Smoking a cigar is one of two things to me:

1. A reason to be alone out on the patio
2. A reason to spend time w/ a friend

I'm not one of those people that believes he must be jumping off a cliff or out of a plane to enjoy life to its fullest. However, I cannot bear to be idle. I seem to need to be doing something constructive at all times. I am a workoholic and I'm trying to break that. Even in college I had to atend two schools simoltaniously because I was taking 21, 22, or 23 hours and my university allowed enrollment in 18.

Smoking cigars is how I force myself to slow down and take a moment. Obviously this is called relaxation, but to myself I refer to it as anti-work :p.

It doesn't hurt that I really love cigars anyway...

Yeah, I smoked bunches and bunches of cigs as a teenager - to be cool. I also did it to "escape" as you'll see in your textbook, "Coping with %$(*#% Family Situations," on page 34.

Cheers,
Dixie

Very interesting question, thanks for making me think about it.

I NEVER smoked cigarettes, probably mostly 'cause I coughed my fool head off when I tried them in high school and secondly because my father wound up with emphysema because he started smoking when he was 12. In 1973 when I was 12, he almost died from pneumonia and quit cigarettes cold turkey when he was 48 years old. Unfortunately at that point, he only had about 20% capacity of his lungs left and could not climb a flight of stairs without almost passing out. In 1979 he got very sick again and subsequently had to be on oxygen 24 hours a day. Fortunately he lived until 1999 which was far longer than we had all expected.

Anyway, he used to smoke cigars (up until 1973), the Connecticut puros like "Munniemaker" and "Judges Cave," all FD Graves products. My friends and I would smoke White Owls in college but not too often. My best friend's father-in-law also smoked another Connecticut Puro called "Summerdale." We'd smoke cigars with him from time to time in the 1980's.

Then in 1992, my wife at the time was a subscriber to Wine Spectator and they sent a complimentary Volume I, Number 1 issue of Cigar Aficionado to all Wine Spectator subscribers. I read the magazine, which I thought was really cool so I went to my local tobacconist and bought my first "premium" cigars, which I think were Macanudos and LGC's based on what cA said were their favorite Robustos in that first issue (and what they had in stock. That was the first time I was laughed at for asking for something called and "Opus xXx". She didn't like cigars so I didn't really start smoking cigars "regularly" until around 1997 (when we divorced).

At this point, I smoke one or two cigars a day because I enjoy the tobacco taste and I have to admit I'm probably addicted to the nicotine that is absorbed through my mouth. I spend a lot of time in my car traveling around and enjoy a cigar to pass the time while I'm driving. I do well over 90% of my cigar smoking in my car where I don't bother anyone.

I will definately stop smoking cigars if I start to develop a "smoker's cough" but so far, that has not happened.

I also never smoked cigarettes and started smoking cigars very late in life. I've been fascinated by cigars and cigar culture for years. Finally one day I happened to be in a mall with a Tinder Box and decided to finally take the plunge. I picked up a few sticks and fired one of them up soon after. I was pretty much instantly hooked. I love the smell, taste, feel....pretty much everything about it. Now that I've been smoking for a while I find the hobby of collecting and aging to be a lot of fun. I find cigars to be a nice diversion keeping my mind off my troubles and helping me deal with stress. Mostly they just taste so damn good! :D

An hour with a good cigar allows me time to decompress. Also like lucasbuck said "They taste so damn good." :D

Not sure but when I pick up a cigar a certain mood usually sets in. One that requires extream relaxation along with the ability to pay attention to small details. Honestly I can almost feel my conciousness transfer from my brain to my nose and mouth.

Once I light that cigar all the problems of the world melt down into one solitairy thought......MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!

Usually a good cigar is acompanied by a good friend, good food and good drink. All of which put a smile on my face....

One last thing.... When I know I am going to have time to smoke one at the end of the night, I usually pick my stogie in the morning and dry box it..... Just knowing what I am going to come home to is like seeing that light at the end of the tunnel and being able to walk towards it all day.... Only 6 more hours till COHIBA~~~ only 4 more.... only 2 more ... WAHOOOO!!! LOL

Just a few random thoughts as to why I NEED cigars to stay sane in this hustle and bustle out here in cali.

Phil

I too have never smoked ciggarettes and have never had a desire to. I have tried them and even smoked one here and there in high school when out with friends, but always disliked them and was lucky enough to never pick up the habbit.

My first cigars were swisher sweets late in high school and in college. Never really enjoyed them either really, but they were SO dang cool when hanging with buddies and seemed like just the thing to have when crusing for chicks or playing our high stakes penny ante poker.

I didn't smoke anything for years after college until just a few years ago a friend of mine smoked a couple with me he had purchased for the birth of his newest daughter. The cigars were fine, but the time spent hagging out and talking while smoking them was even better. I then met a guy by accident who when the conversation turned to cigars told me all about thompsons and premium cigars. I promptly called for a catalog of my own and after spending a week straight reading every word of that first catalog cover to cover I finally placed an order for my very first premium cigar purchase. Once they arrived I took my purchase over to a freinds house that was having a barbeque and shared them with everyone there. They were a big hit and we all had such a great time just sitting around smoking them and enjoying the evening. I've been hooked ever since I'm afraid.

I now have three humi's, two 300's and a 100, all pretty full. I almost have more cigars then I know what to do with, but I never smoke alone. Hardly ever anyway. I almost always smoke with a friend and enjoy an evening while doing so.

I do smoke cigarettes :( Iam going to quick some day soon! I started a long time ago and its just time to stop! Iam not a cigar smoker yet, I have tried a couple here and there and I liked some and didnt like others. I want to start smoking cigars and give up cigarettes, I just bought a smoke shop so Ill beable to do a little sampleing :) and find what I like.

What I can say is this, a few nights ago a friend came over with a power ranger for me. Lets just say it was way to much for me :0 :0 :0 WOW
I wont smoke another one of those for a while...

-Matt