• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Why

Jeff1101

G21
Why do we choose to do these jobs. I am talking about law enforcement and fire and rescue. The pay and benefits are not that great. Then something like THIS happens. Our area had been lucky for quite a few years but then this happens and you wonder is it worth it. So the next time a cop yells at you to show your hands do it. It is not personal he is just doing a job and wants to go home. The next time you get pulled over take your ticket you were doing wrong and got caught. We don't get Tupperware for writing extra tickets its part of the job. The next time the fire dept has the road blocked don't go around the barricade. They did not block the road to inconvenience you they have it blocked for a reason. These things my not register to you but believe it or not we are their to help so cut us some slack.

I hear you Jeff. My department has now had 3 attempts on our lives in the past 3 months:

IED in the Station

Improvised Weapon Booby Trap

And now this morning, they found a pipe bomb strapped to one of our Police units, and they're trying to disarm it now. The two articles talk about GTF like a separate entity, so it can be confusing, but we're in the same facility and they are all our Officers and we all share the same units.

When the Police Officers that protect you and stand in the fine line between civility and chaos are subjected to these types that like to cry out "excessive force," and "corruption," I'd like to see them live with this type of pressure. It sure as hell is easy to arm-chair quarterback another Police Officer's actions when the biggest threat to your life is slipping in your shower at home.

It's not like your family has to cope with wondering if you're ever going to come home at the end of your workday, dreading to find out you've been killed by someone who doesn't even know your name but they hate the patches you wear on your shoulders. I feel the same way about these idiots who don't support the troops that are protecting your freedom, whether the individual soldier agrees with the war or not. Take your gripes to the leaders of this country, not the people who are in service just doing their job.

And I don't care if this is getting too political for some of you, some folks need to hear it. Wake up.

Some of us appreciate what you do. :thumbs: Without you out there, there would be even more chaos.

Of course, you could always move to my home town. Things are pretty quiet there. They had their first armed robbery in a year and a half about a month ago. They mostly have to deal with drunks, speeders and underage drinking. Oh yeah, and cold. :)

Edit to Add: LINK Luckily nobody was hurt, but there was an 8 year old girl in the store with her dad at the time. She took it quite well and was excited to tell her friends what happened. I'm friends with the clerks who were working. A man attempting a similar robbery got in a firefight with police in Milwaukee a couple of weeks ago and was killed. No officers were hurt. It is still unsure if it was the same person.

I'm not in public safety, but I have friends that are. I really appreciate all that you do to help keep us safe on our streets!

My oldest son is active duty in the USMC and I have a number of friends that are or were LEO's.

All you guys, local LEO's and the folks in the military, are the line between order and chaos. To say you have my respect and the respect of my family would be a gross understatement. I haven't had to interact with an LEO other than socially in quite some time, but I'm a "hands on the wheel, open the window, look them in the eye and say 'yes sir'" sort of guy. Gee, funny thing, I've never had a problem.

I understand the risks and respect you all for taking them.

Don't let the loudmouth's out there convince you that folks like me are in the minority. We aren't.

Be safe out there, gents - B.B.S.

For every good cop out there there are others that are not. I can appreciate the good cops but all the bad ones gives the rest of you a bad name. Its not fair but its the way the world works unfortunately.

Souldog,

I have been on the receiving end of what I call corruption. 3 hours of questioning while ignoring my constitutional rights to remain silent and have an attorney present. To this day I still don't know what they were looking for. They never told me. They just kept telling me I knew what they were talking about and to fess up. However that's an isolated incident and I don't hold it against all cops everywhere. 99% are honest people who care about the state of their community. I have a deep respect for law enforcement. I do wish more people would see them as a protector as opposed to the enemy. I also agree that we should support the troops. They're not the ones in congress making the decisions. They just follow them.

Steven

Wow, this was a thread about a cop whose was killed in the line of duty, not to vent your frustrations with the Law enforcement community. I'm sure we all have stories. I don't think this is the time or place.

Doc.

Wow, this was a thread about a cop whose was killed in the line of duty, not to vent your frustrations with the Law enforcement community. I'm sure we all have stories. I don't think this is the time or place.

Doc.

Pearls of wisdom Doc.

Guys, law enforcement folks are on the top of my list! Your work is greatly appreciated.

Ken

I do I because I love it. I've never dreaded going going to work once in 20 years. I've had several friends die in the line of duty and it really sucks. A guy I supervise nearly got killed last week. Jeff it is worth it. Law enforcement and fire fighters do a necessary job most folks would not touch. Keep a steady professional bearing. It really hurts when we lose a brother but we must carry on. Keep in mind you have one of the largest support groups in the world...It's called the thin blue line. Rely on each other to get through the tough times.