• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Will this help my temp problems?

dk_ace

I have a mini fridge I won that is serving as my humi for right now (this is only a temporary solution as it isn't very big). I know you can't use a typical fridge because it will dry out the air, but is this one different since it also serves as a warmer? I was thinking that since it is different it might not dry out the air.

If you don't know if it will work, will it hurt anything to try?

Thanks,
D

Is it thermo electric? Test it with a hygro and some water and/or beads and see if it holds humidity...

Is it thermo electric? Test it with a hygro and some water and/or beads and see if it holds humidity...

X2
Set it up with everything you would have in there, minus the cigars, and let run for a few days. Then you will know what you are working with. If the results look good after 72 hours or so, then let it go for another week to see if anything changes. If it all works out, them you have a free temp controlled Humi, if not, you still have free mini cooler/warmer.

This is what I would do, but what do I know, still a noob :D

Tim

I think it probably is thermoelectric, so I'd give it a shot like the rest of the guys recommended. I know that all of the car heater/cooler combo things are thermoelectric and I can't imagine that part is unique to those.

Well I gave it a try, and this one only allows you to select heat or cool. It looks like it is set to cool around 45 degrees. It also adds humidity, so I won't be able to use it like I was planning.

The positive thing is that it works pretty quickly and seals good (after I modified it a little), so I am going to try running it a little in the morning to get it around 60 degrees and seeing how it holds the temp down through the day. Just sitting in the house, it is staying between 73 and 75 degrees. That's a little closer to the danger zone than I want to be. If running it a little twice a day keeps the temp down a little and the humidity in a range that the 65% beads can keep a handle on, then I think this will be a good solution for me for the time being.

Thanks for your help,
D

And on second thought.....

There is absolutely no use for this thing as a temp control device. I checked the humi an hour after I turned it off to find it at 80% RH. I guess I'll have to keep my fingers crossed at 75 degrees during the summer.

D

Or get yourself a wine cooler and use that... money's probably tight, though, eh? Same here. :)

Or get yourself a wine cooler and use that... money's probably tight, though, eh? Same here. :)

Yeah, money's tight, but that might be changing before long. I think the temp is in a pretty safe zone right now, I just wanted it a little lower. I think I will make it a goal to get a wine cooler before next summer though. That's going to be fun to try and talk the wife into...

D

Yeah, mine's kinda talked into it, but she wants some wine in there, too. Still not decided (informed) if cigars and wine in the same cooler is such a good idea, though.

Can I be the first to chime in...BEADS! They do just like they say, maintain a set RH point.

Can I be the first to chime in...BEADS! They do just like they say, maintain a set RH point.

I have the 65% heartfelt beads in there right now. They are having a hard time due to the extreme humidity in NE TX this time of year, but I think they will work out just fine. They don't do anything for the temp though, and the humididty the fridge added was added way too quickly for the beads to do anything about it.

D

I have the 65% heartfelt beads in there right now. They are having a hard time due to the extreme humidity in NE TX this time of year, but I think they will work out just fine. They don't do anything for the temp though, and the humididty the fridge added was added way too quickly for the beads to do anything about it.

D

65% beads are holding my desktop steady here in Denton, TX. I too have had some concerns about the temp... especially today!!! But the humi is holding at 65/71 nicely... so I'm satisfied. I had to work with the beads a bit to get them to where they were holding nicely.

Good Luck!

mr.mac