• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Wine cellar

mmburtch

Sleep deprived and cranky
I am just about to start construction in my basement. Due to a favorable alignment of the planets and such, I get to build a wine cellar/indoor smoking room.

My plan is to put custom cabinets down one wall, half to be humidor, the other half to be wine storage. Now, I don't drink and neither my wife or I have plans at this time to start collecting wine. I do however want to add this feature to the house.

What I'm considering, is to not finish the wall behind the wine storage and have doors on the front of the cabinets. Can I count on the coolness of the foundation walls to keep things at a decent temperature? The room will be heated/cooled, but the doors should keep that out. One suggestion that was made to me was to run ducting under the cabs in case I ever needed to hook up an air conditioning unit.

Suggestions, comments?

I dont think you are going to get the temp down to a proper level, which is the mid to upper 50s. Especially if you are going to heat and cool the whole room, unless you like it really cold. You might want to check out a wine board. Robert Parker has a great board with all kinds of info on home wine cellars. The guys over there are crazy serious about their wine. From a personal point of view, I would not want to store any serious amount of wine in a cabinet in a basement that doesn't have temp controls. I only have 20 or so bottles, about half are long term agers, but all are kept in a wine fridge.

Matt, you should come up and see my wine cellar. It is on the Northeast wall of my basement, has no heat or a/c and fluctuates from 55* in the dead of winter to 67* in the middle of summer (just a few weeks, mostly averages 60*). The rest of the basement has heat & a/c. I built the one wall that is not concrete with 6" studs and 6" of insulation. Also 6" of insulation in the ceiling. If you can't make it up I'll send you some pictures.

Have my humi and wine racking against painted concrete walls in the basement. They maintain about 64 degrees, while not cave like 55 degrees it does just fine for the wine....

-D

There's a great book called How and Why To Build A Wine Cellar by Richard M Gold that I highly recommend. It explains alot of the thermodynamics of wine cellars and how to achieve the desired result.

There's a great book called How and Why To Build A Wine Cellar by Richard M Gold that I highly recommend. It explains alot of the thermodynamics of wine cellars and how to achieve the desired result.

Or check out vinocellar.com for some discussion about wine cellars.

:cool:

Back