• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Wine Cooler Question

crafty199

Is it essential to plug up the drain hole in a 28 bottle vinotemp cooler? I put a piece of sponge to slow down the drip plus some heartfelt beads around the drain. I have 1 lb. of beads w/ the condensation being routed into them. Have this system going 4 days and can't get above 59% humidity. Should I be more patient? Any Suggestions? Thanks in advance

I did not plug mine up at all. I think Vinotemp will take care of you there anyway, when I started running mine the drain hole was already plugged with their insulating foam. I actually drilled a straight drain in mine.

Think about it like this , if your drain hole is plugged and you live in an area where it is really humid once your beads are saturated it will be good for the drain to work.

Now your humidity may be another issue. I am using 65% beads in mine and two circulation fans on a timer. Once I filled all the dead space with boxed cigars I found that the rh between top and bottom can vary quite a bit, it really settles to the bottom, so fans will cure that.

If you look down the page some there is a thread that has links to about five of our cooler builds, there is a ton of info and a few different ways of tackling the project.

I am thrilled to death with mine.

IMG_0108-vi.jpg

This is an old pic, I will take another soon, its real full now and the shelf has been moved.

I too have the Vinotemp (got the idea/plans from AKmik - Thanks!!!!). I had the same issue and used some black duct tape to plug the drain, some plastic/vinyl to channel the water into my beads (70%) and I lined (partially) with cedar. I have been between 64% and 71% and the temp between 65-68. PERFECT!

I got the Spanish cedar from internetlumber.com. I did not do the full lining like AKmik, but I used the cedar as panels so I would be able to use the wire shelving. I paneled the sides, back (partial) and top (partial).

Do you have cedar lining? I have heard both sides (with/without cedar) maybe some seasoned cedar will do the trick? I havent had a humidity issue since. It has been running for a little over 2 weeks. Thanks again AKmik and CP!!

I will post some pics tonight if I can. Had some trouble with it before.

-Frank

I'm in mine all the time.. So my dang humidity always hovers on the low side. I think I'm going to get another pound of beads, this time in 70% instead of just the pound of 65%. I plugged the drain hole, and have a piece of plastic routing condensation back into my beads. I also have 2 fans hooked up on a timer 15 minutes every 3 hours, and 2 oust fans up top.

Wine-O-dor026.jpg
[

I'm in mine all the time.. So my dang humidity always hovers on the low side. I think I'm going to get another pound of beads, this time in 70% instead of just the pound of 65%. I plugged the drain hole, and have a piece of plastic routing condensation back into my beads. I also have 2 fans hooked up on a timer 15 minutes every 3 hours, and 2 oust fans up top.

Wine-O-dor026.jpg
[

thanks for the info and pics. I have the 65% beads, but no cedar yet. I ordered it online and it should be here this week. That should do the trick I hope. Once I have that sucker set up properly I will report back. Thanks again guys!

I think it would be fine. You live in Florida where the average humidty is close to what a humi should be at so the air exchange will not be an issue. In fact it might be even better. I live in AZ where the average humidity is about 10% so I had to plug mine.

MY WINEODOR LINKY