• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Wine newb - where to start?

jagwire

I never thought of or considered wine really. The low alcohol content, and everything always made me say "meh, it's a female's drink." I've slowly however changed my mind about this, and have recently gotten into whiskies. Nosing drinks is A LOT of fun. Plus, it'd be a drink I could share with my parents more easily, as well as friends.
I was always really intimitated by wine, perhaps that's why I never invested in any bottles. The fact there are thousands out there, and I didn't know where to start.
I'm looking for some specific recommendations from http://www.lcbo.com (the only store I'm legally allowed to buy liquor from here.) I figure I'll spend a couple hundred dollars for a few bottles to sample and try. Avb has already gave me some great whisky recommendations which I truly appreciate.
As far as what I'm looking for, just different wines that are as different as can be that the lcbo sells (i.e. like a whisky from highlands and another lowlands), so that I can get a more specific idea of perhaps what I'm liking and not liking in a wine.
Thanks!

I never thought of or considered wine really. The low alcohol content, and everything always made me say "meh, it's a female's drink." I've slowly however changed my mind about this, and have recently gotten into whiskies. Nosing drinks is A LOT of fun. Plus, it'd be a drink I could share with my parents more easily, as well as friends.
I was always really intimitated by wine, perhaps that's why I never invested in any bottles. The fact there are thousands out there, and I didn't know where to start.
I'm looking for some specific recommendations from http://www.lcbo.com (the only store I'm legally allowed to buy liquor from here.) I figure I'll spend a couple hundred dollars for a few bottles to sample and try. Avb has already gave me some great whisky recommendations which I truly appreciate.
As far as what I'm looking for, just different wines that are as different as can be that the lcbo sells (i.e. like a whisky from highlands and another lowlands), so that I can get a more specific idea of perhaps what I'm liking and not liking in a wine.
Thanks!

I'd recommend trying different varietals first, so you see what you may be interested in. As a whisky drinker, you may tend more toward full, rich wines like a Bordeaux, Syrah, Cabernet Sauvignon, Petit Sirah or an older Bugundy/Pinot Noir. Try some of each and see what you think. As with whisky, check the color, nose and taste and see what fits your palate. Then expand from there to try different terroir like California, Australia, France, Italy et al to see the difference in each. It's a world of difference, even in vineyards that are next door to one another.

Thanks!

Here's a copy of a PM I sent him in response to the same question.

Hey jagwire,

Okay, I'll try and recommend a few that are of a broad range of CA wines for a new wine drinker. This will give you a good idea of what's out there and to try and narrow down your taste profile when it comes to wine. Not knowig anything about what tastes you prefer, I'll recommend those that are big and bolder, since you are a cigar and whiskey drinker ;)

I went to the website and selected the search function, it's a dificult site to navigate. Good grief ! not a very good selection under LCBH only and not many, if any, CA premium wines. Let's see, you can't go wrong with Wente Estate wines and if I remember correctly the Cline Zinfandel was decent.

Now if I expand the search to include Vintages there are quite a few more to select from, hopefully your able to purchase from them as well. Here are my recommendations:
2004 AU BON CLIMAT CHARDONNAY, 2003 CLOS DU BOIS ALEXANDER VLY RES MERLOT, 2005 BONNY DOON VIN GRIS DE CIGARE ROSE, 2005 BRUTOCAO PINOT NOIR, 2005 CALERA PINOT NOIR, 2004, CHATEAU MONTELENA CHARDONNAY, 2003 CLINE ANCIENT VINES MOURVEDRE, 2002 CHATEAU SOUVERAIN ZINFANDEL, 2005 AU BON CLIMAT PINOT NOIR, 2004 CABERNET SAUVIGNON MINER VNYDS., 2005 QUPE WINE CELLARS CENTRAL COAST SYRAH, 2004 TESTAROSSA BIEN NACIDO PINOT NOIR, 2004 TESTAROSSA GARYS' VINEYARD PINOT NOIR

The last two are a little pricey but I know the growers of Gary's Vineyard and it really is an outstanding CA vineyard for Pinot Noir.

Let me know how it works out and I hope this helps, good luck!

David

Back