• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Winston Churchill Chequers by Davidoff

Rodrigo de Jerez

I get to give myself a title?
Cigar: Winston Churchill by Davidoff
Master Blender: Hendrik Kelner
Purchased From: Puff N Stuff in Decatur, Georgia: A truly fine B&M with a knowledgeable staff and terrific atmosphere.
Size: 5 1/2 * 46 Corona
Tobacco Varieties: Dominican Republic, Peru, Nicaragua, Ecuador
Wrapper: Ecuadorian Sun Grown
Cutter: Palio Burl Wood
Light: Long-stemmed cigar matches
Beverage: Perrier Sparkling Mineral Water
Weather: About 70F w/ a slight breeze. The forecast called for much windier but that was not the case when I smoked.
Location : Outside of the Long Hope Bar in King's Cross London, England
Music: Adrian Byron Burns, Bluezone.
Pictures: None, I am sorry but I did not want to look like any more of a goof by taking pictures on the street.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Presentation: The Chequers has a beautiful, finely ornamented main band. It also has a secondary band that features the name of the cigar in particular. The wrapper appeared smooth with no prominent veins to speak of.

Prelight: It had a fantastic prelight draw; I could tell from the get-go that this smoking experience would be a fine one, indeed.

First Third: I immediately picked up a distinctive pepper spice, both on the palate and nasally. I can also detect a coffee flavor and nuttiness. The burn in the first third was flawless- the ash stacked well and left a perfect cherry.

Middle Third: I taste all the flavors that I found in the first third of the cigar with a hint of sweetness added. I might almost describe the sensation as citrus in quality. The burn in the second third was not as sensational as in the first third and the ash became somewhat flaky but still perfectly acceptable.

Last Third: I can still taste the flavors described above and the burn corrected itself. The ash was much better formed than in the middle third. My only complaint with the back end of this cigar is that it develops into a nicotine bomb.

Overall: In my book, the cigar is a must buy but the cost is prohibitive to many smokers out there. I might liken some of the qualities of this cigar to that of the AVO 80th. That being said, the Chequers needs some time to rest before it will truly hit its peek.

edited to add Jack Straw's Review

It's a different perspective on the same cigar but I think the visual might be useful.

Thanks for the review. IMHO it's a great cigar, I enjoy them immensely, the down side being it's hefty price tag.

I agree. They are a nice cigar but somewhat pricey. And letting them rest for a bit before smoking them does make a difference, IMO.

I always keep a couple in my humi. If it wasn't for the price I'd probably keep more. I really enjoy them.

I bought two of these a while ago when I started smoking, after I got my first humi. I haven't brought myself to smoke them yet, but maybe it is time...

Ill have to give this one a try although I'm not the biggest fan of Davidoff. Thanks for the review