• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Winter Storage

MaxNoodle

I am that which is.
I know I'm gonna get hit with "its a preference" to these questions...but I'm gonna ask anyway. I have recently purchased an amazing amount of cigars in all ranges shapes and sizes. I will more than likely NOT be smoking until late Feb due to weather restrictions and my own restrictions. Having said that, is there any difference in storage for long periods, by long I mean 5-6 months. Should I leave the cello on or off? should I leave the new boxes open or closed? Should I take them out of the boxes completely?

Is there anything else I should be doing?

They will be in a vinotemp trying to maintain a 65% Rh.

Thankls!

~ t

Leave them alone and forget about them. No need to stress about it.

Yep, leave them the way they came and enjoy them in the spring. However make sure they are in a controled enviroment until then, i.e. coolerdor or whatever you chose.

I like to leave the cellophane on, and try to keep the cigars in their original boxes as well. It protects the wrapper, and I believe it also traps in / buffers humidity, especially if you open the humidor a lot.
Humidity in my home(s) has always dropped in the winter. I.e., I like to initially check every couple of days to see how the drop is affecting my humidors. Then I like to check once a week. I do tend to recharge more often in the drier winter months.

First it depends on your local. If in the snow areas and you have forced air furnace I recommend that you slightly up your humidity. This will help balance the drying factor of the forced air. If you heat with hot water baseboard just make sure they are in an area of the house/apt. that keeps about 68-70 degrees, and keep as normal.

Also, depends on what type of humidification system you use as well.

I like to leave the cellophane on, and try to keep the cigars in their original boxes as well. It protects the wrapper, and I believe it also traps in / buffers humidity, especially if you open the humidor a lot.
Humidity in my home(s) has always dropped in the winter. I.e., I like to initially check every couple of days to see how the drop is affecting my humidors. Then I like to check once a week. I do tend to recharge more often in the drier winter months.
...everything the Monk says.

I have the luxury of a cooled, actively humidified cabinet. When the forced air heat comes on for the winter, the RH in the house drops like a rock. Only thing I have to do is keep an eye on the distilled water in the humidifiers as it gets used up 2-3X as fast as it does during the humid months.

When I ran a desktop, I'd often take a little sponge humidifier, squirt some distilled water on it, and put it in the humidor for a few days at a time as sort of a humidity boost.

Long and short of it - watch the RH, don't let them get too hot (a closet in a bedroom is usually pretty good for storage), and don't stress out.... :cool:

Regards - B.B.S.

...everything the Monk says.

I have the luxury of a cooled, actively humidified cabinet.....
<----- I know :love: I saw that. Mr. Staebell will eventually hear from me.

Mr.Staebell is top notch, and his finished products are unmatched. I love my Aristocrat.

Ok - Well right now I just moved everything into my vinotemp, its at a steady 64/64. Hopefully this will keep em safe for the winter!! :(

Ok - Well right now I just moved everything into my vinotemp, its at a steady 64/64. Hopefully this will keep em safe for the winter!! :(
My fridge has such a good seal I don't have to do anything different at all and the beads stay charged the same as summer, even when the heat knocks down the house's humidity.

Just keep an eye on your humidity and look forward to the spring. No stress required. :)