• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Wood boxes and cabinets (SLB)

Dysfunctional

Was wondering....someone told me that the Cuban Cohiba boxes (SLB)are great for aging cigars (Provided they are put in the proper RH and Temp)... so I was thinking what kind of wood do they use ?? Is it spanish cedar ?? But is varnished boxes good or non varnished like the Partagas.... Boxes like the RyJ have paper stuck on them and are apparently not that good...any feedback ??

Kiln dried spanish cedar is what I believe is the best for aging cigars. Coupled with 70% humidity.

I'm not sure about varnished or unvarnished. I would think that perhaps the varnish itself may impart a taste onto the cigars. I specify kiln dried spanish cedar, since otherwise the cedar can give off residue and sap. And the sap will get on your cigars, then when you go to smoke them, it will burst into flames and your head will explode. (this last part I made up)

They varnish the boxes to make them more air-tight which slows down the maturation process.

Cohiba SLBs are varnished, others like H. Upmann Magnum 46 and SLR Serie A are not.

No, the frickin' site kept freezing :angry2: and timing out. At first, I thought it was my ISP but every other cigar board worked fine, even the Island of the Misfit Toys :laugh: which is back on line and no longer private since the whole thing crashed and burned over the weekend :sign:

Say it twice, don't preach it, eh CC?

Cedar boxes help buffer the humidity in your humidor, other than that, I dont know that there's anything particularly special about them.