• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Wood shelves for a wineador

oke&coke

Shut up baby I know it!
Does anyone have any ideas on what types of woods would be ok to use for shelving? I checked all the wood working stores here in Hawaii and no one carries Spanish cedar. I am thinking of just going with plywood from Home Depot but want to get some input first.

I don't know if any of those engineered woods outgas. I'm sure there are some that do not. Might be something to clarify.

Dion from Illusione seems to use some sort of Luan like wood. I think he mentioned that he wanted a non aromatic wood to preserve the flavor of his blends.

I second the Honduran Mahogany. It isnt quite as aromatic but,  it also does not have the same bug deterrent strengths of Spanish Cedar.

I will try and look for the mahogany but I think that may be just as hard to get out here.

How much wood (would)are you needing? I don't imagine Home Depot, et al, would (wood) special order a single ply-wood (would) size sheet of specialty wood (would), but I would (wood) at least inquire.

Wood.

-Trey

My rapier wit aside, if you're looking for a plywood (...must not...WOULD!) sheet size, I can maybe get one here and cut in into manageable size rectangles and ship it to you?

Would (wood) you be interested? Shipping would (wood!) possibly be more expensive than the sheet...

:sign: Funnyman.

I do know a place online that will ship spanish cedar sheets but will use that as a last resort due to shipping costs.  I am sure a more reasonable alternative can be found.  Thanks for the offer though.

Thanks, but what I need is to replace the wavy wire racks that come with the fridge.

You try: wineadors.com? Forrest has a 4-drawer set delivering to me Tuesday. Sells individual drawers, tops, etc, made to fit your cooler. Direct replacement for the racks.

-Trey

If the cigars are to be kept in their boxes, there is already enough spanish cedar there..... Then I would go the easy route, and have shelves cut out out plexiglass. 

If you are going to have singles and all, different opinion.....sorta..... Spanish cedar is not cedar, it is a type of Mahogany. Luan is also Mahogany, and is quite easily found. So you could use Lauan or Honduran Mahogany no problem...

By the way, just FYI, I found on Amazon a 2x4 piece of 1/4 inch spanish cedar plywood for 38.39$, shipped free to your location. This can be cut in a couple shelves.

LINK

To be honest, if you plan on keeping the cigars in their boxes, and possibly use empty boxes to store singles, you'll have enough spanish cedar for aroma and humidity buffer/regulation. Then, I would make shelves out of acrylic (plexiglass). Can be found and custom cut pretty easy, weighs next to nothing, and can be bought clear or in various shades of color. Could be perforated to help air circulation if needed. You could glue strips of plexiglass to make dividers for singles, endless possibilities.....

There is a Zino Humidor made exclusively of plexiglass...

LINK

Just my two cents....

:thumbs:

Thanks will look into the Amazon purchase to make sure they deliver to Hawaii. I do plan on keeping my cigars in boxes due to it being a compressor system.