• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Wood to Build Humidor

CalixEros

Big Building Builder
I decided that even though a coolidor is easy to build, I'd rather build my own humidor. I can do most of it by myself but will probably have somebody do some millwork for me. I want the dimensions to be approximately 1'W x 2'L x 3'H, but will get it planned out to fit everything I need nicely. I'll be keeping most cigars in boxes and plan to use Spanish Cedar shelves and something else for the rest of the box.

Since this will be my first box and probably not perfect, I'd prefer not to spend too much on materials. What other sorts of wood could I use? I know many use Honduran Mahogany, but that sounds expensive. Could I use red oak or maple from Home Depot? If I used something other than Spanish Cedar or Honduran Mahogany, should I laquer the inside to prevent wood warping? I know you want some air to escape/circulate, but I could just leave a looser seal at the opening... Any answers you guys have or anywhere you could point me would be appreciated.

I bought a copy of "Building a Humidor" from Fine Woodworking that somebody posted a while ago, and have a pretty good idea on what to do, I'm just looking for some direction on what wood I can use. Thanks again.

I guess what I'm really looking for is if red oak, maple, poplar, or something else pretty cheap would be ok to use for the inside, and if it should be lacquered to prevent moisture buildup in the wood. The shelves would be spanish cedar as would the boxes the cigars are in.

CalixEros said:
I guess what I'm really looking for is if red oak, maple, poplar, or something else pretty cheap would be ok to use for the inside, and if it should be lacquered to prevent moisture buildup in the wood. The shelves would be spanish cedar as would the boxes the cigars are in.
[snapback]202008[/snapback]​

How big are you wanting to make it, desktop or cabinet size?

I personally don't think that I would use a lacquered wood on the inside of the humidor. Anyone else have an opinion on this?

I would rather spend the $20 at Lowe's for a sheet of 1/4" Birch or Oak plywood, use the Honduran Mahogany on the inside walls with Spanish Cedar shelving. A box within a box to allow the Mahogany to expand and shrink with the humidity. Trim the outside edges, to hide the plywodd, with another wood that will give it some contrast when stained.

My choice for the Mahogany for the walls is because I like some "wood" notes in a cigar but I don't want to try to age some for them to tast too much like it.

I wonder if that could really happen, tasting too much like wood. :sign:

I was probably going to make it a large desktop / small cabinet capable of holding 400 cigars or so. I was thinking if I could find a lacquer that would impart no flavor, it would allow me to use any wood for the outside and keep it sealed from the humidity, and have the only exchange of air at the opening. Is all mahogany good for humidity absorption / warping resistance or just Honduran mahogany?

CalixEros said:
I was probably going to make it a large desktop / small cabinet capable of holding 400 cigars or so. I was thinking if I could find a lacquer that would impart no flavor, it would allow me to use any wood for the outside and keep it sealed from the humidity, and have the only exchange of air at the opening. Is all mahogany good for humidity absorption / warping resistance or just Honduran mahogany?
[snapback]204044[/snapback]​

I would still have to lean towards no in regards to lacquering the inside of the humidor, afterall cigar boxes are only lacquered on the outside.

My knowledge on on the species of mahogany is not good enough to truly answer your question. I would do some internet searching or go to a local book store to find that answer. Keep in mind that Honduran mahogany is expenseive, due to it being on an "endangered" list for wood from S. America, thus the question about the size of the humidor.

My understanding is that you want the wood to absorb moisture and help stabilize the environment inside the humidor ITO relitive humidity. I would NOT use any type of finish inside the humi, as even water based finishes would probably leave "some" type of smell / odor that I wouldn't want associated with my 'gars.

As far as what type of wood to use, I've heard of guys using dissassembled old cigar boxes to line their coolers, and in a pinch I'd think you could do the same thing inside your humi. Most gar stores will give them to you or at least sell 'em on the cheap.

My $00.02 - B.B.S.

There are different wood for making humidor. Among them I would like to suggest you Mahogany wood to build a humidor.

You can only use 3 types of wood that I am aware of. I have been building humidors for 3 decades. You can use Spanish Cedar, Honduran Mahogany or Sapele. These are the only woods that I am aware of that will regulate humidity. Keep in mind the dust and particles are toxic to humans. So be careful when working with these products.