• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

World's wettest coolidor?

Dan66

My desktop humi (that I've always had trouble regulating) finally became too cramped a few weeks ago. So in interest of my tight budget, I decided to go the coolidor route. I already had a 50 qt. Igloo that was smell-free and like new.

I started with the $7.00 WalMart digital hydrometer, and like almost all of them, the salt test revealed it 5% too high. I put it and my blue-gel-in-a-jar stuff (from CI) in along with a spanish cedar cigar box. I was surprised to see that it was resting comfortably at 77% RH (after subtracting 5 from the hydrometer reading).

Long story short, I wound up removing the humidification gel-jar completely, adding my stash of 50 or so sticks, and leaving the cooler lid cracked open. The RH is still at 72% or 73%. Could it be this humid Texas weather we're experiencing down here?

If the humidity of your air is X and you have the lid cracked then the humidity inside the coolidor is also going to be X. In a sealed environment you need something that not only gives off humidity when needed but will also absorb excess humidity. Do a search on Beads.

Even though your ambient RH is 89%, I might guess you're inside an air conditioned house where its a tad lower. Regardless, you should make an immediate order of Viper's 65% beads. Here in Denver, they crank out moisture to maintain ~65%. At your house, they would remove moisture to maintain ~65%. Believe in the beads!

I got my hygrometer and they said they had calibrated it. After my humi kept reading low, I watered it down several times. Then I figured out how to remove my hygro and was able to test it.

Just to let you know - I'm experiencing the same problem. Got a analog hygro that was FIFTEEN degrees low. Tested, changed it, retested, retested to be sure the hygrometer is correct and it was +/-2 from 75 which I figured changed based on the temperature changes in my room. No big deal. Hygro is working fine.

Put it back in my humi and it was reading close to 80! I have 2 of the 4oz humi-gel things in my 125 count 2 level humi. One may think this is too much but the thing is supposed to regulate to about 70. So, I let it the humi sit out and it lowered to 75 but is still steady there. May have to remove one of the gels and give it to a friend or something or the humidor just needs to settle down (I watered it down several times last week).

I ordered my cigars today and should get them Friday. The way I see it, I can handle too much humidity simply by opening the humidor or removing 1 of the gel sets.

Good luck man. My only recommendation would be to opening up the humidor and letting it breathe as long as the outside isn't more humid than inside the humidor! It's chilly here in Maryland and definitely not over 70 humidity outside so this should be an easy solution for me...not sure how it is in Texas.

<jedi hand wave>
Buy the beads from Viper.
Viper is your friend </jedi hand wave>

Seriously, I bought the 60% beads a couple of weeks ago. Dirt cheap for what the little things do for ya. A lot easier to regulate than the foam and other types.

Get Viper's beads, why doesn't someone help this guy ??? :p

Brian

I'm disappointed in everyone... I thought someone would've suggested Viper's beads by now. :rolleyes:

FYI My 48qt has nothing to humidify in it nor does it hold any smokes since I got a bigger display humi, but it holds at %70! Tested with digital and analog. I reckon coolidors just work!

In addition to getting the aforementioned (multiple times) beads. Get some spanish cedar in that cooler as well. Either cigar boxes or some spanish cedar wood will work to absorb some of that excess moisture.

I've found it's much easier to get a coolador regulated by putting something besides just your humidifier (think beads) and hygometer in it.

By the way, do a search on here for Viper or Heartfelt Industries, and find the path to the magic beads!!

Get the effin beads.
Thanks for the clarification...

In addition to getting the aforementioned (multiple times) beads. Get some spanish cedar in that cooler as well. Either cigar boxes or some spanish cedar wood will work to absorb some of that excess moisture.
I stated in my initial post that I had placed a spanish cedar box inside the cooler. Thanks for the reminder just the same...

damn, heres the link
I had done a search upon the first suggestion and found the link with no problem. Sorry to have bothered you.

I had done a search upon the first suggestion and found the link with no problem. Sorry to have bothered you.
No bother - it's the nature of the beast! ;)

You see, it's really not your fault. This is an endemic(characteristic of a specific people or place) problem of cigar forums. The problem is the same questions get asked of the FOGs and, even though they do everything they can(Pinned FAQs and the like) to lessen it, this will always be the case, I'm sure.

So no worries mate! ;)

Que sera, sera, as the brilliant Doris Day used to sing.