• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Worldwide!

Lee

A ham buddy of mine came over this morning and helped me put up my ARX2B Ringo Ranger antenna. This one has more gain that the one I had up previously and is higher.

I was back on the air within the hour and bringing up repeaters almost 150 miles away!!! I can literally talk to anyone in the central Virginia area on simplex, even if they are mobile!

This is why I'm now known as "Worldwide" on my roundtable net! My stick is about 390 feet above sea level!

I can't wait to test this thing out some more!

Lee :D

Now you have to setup some remotes to LA, and we'll be set!

A friend (has ms) in the next town replied to someone who she thought was in need of directions or had car trouble. Couldn't understand him because she has ms related problems talking.

She did recall the call sign.....ended up being a 2 meter contact with the Mir Spacestation! :D

Incidently all three locals I know who smoke cigars are Hams. Makes 4 local smoked hams ;)

How hard is it to get an amatuer license? How expensive is the equipment?

It's pretty easy to get a Technician Class license these days.

The equipment is fairly inexpensive. I have a 75 watt mobile radio that I got used(like new) for $135. Check out Ebay as well. Don't buy from anyone who isn't a ham, others don't know anything about the radios!

Check out the site:QRZ

You can take practice tests on the site!

Lee :D

I used to listen to shortwave a while back, and I've tuned in some pretty distant stations with a small Grundig set with a wire antenna strung out a window. Must have been some favorable skip conditions on some nights because I used to get some low powered stations out of South Africa speaking English, as well as the usual stations from Europe and Australia. Every once in a while I used to pick up some station that would turn on their transmitter, then I would hear some female reading off series of numbers in Spanish for a few minutes, then they'd shut off the power. Several minutes later they'd turn on again, and do the same thing. Weird.

Thought you were only using simplex Lee? I'm getting a average of 92 on the pratice test, just waiting till 12-2 for the next test in my area. Tell me more about this ARX2B antenna. I'v been thinking about building this oneSquare Loop. Should be able to reach you on mobile, I'm 8 miles from a 2800ft peak with a road to the top.
Who knows, from up there I might reach Rod :0

Wascal, I do mostly talk simplex. I just use the distant repeaters as a measurement of how well my antenna and height are doing.

Right now, I can talk to afton mountain and Lexington in my car on the street.

I'm in a good spot tp be in a non mountainous region! :D

Wascal said:
Thought you were only using simplex Lee? I'm getting a average of 92 on the pratice test, just waiting till 12-2 for the next test in my area. Tell me more about this ARX2B antenna. I'v been thinking about building this oneSquare Loop. Should be able to reach you on mobile, I'm 8 miles from a 2800ft peak with a road to the top.
Who knows, from up there I might reach Rod :0
I just checked out that page. Here a coupla things I hanna point out about this antenna:
1. It is a horizontal polarized antenna. So as long as the people you are trying to reach are horizontal, you will get optimal signal strength.
2. Most mobile rigs are vertically polarized.
3. If you are going to make this rig portable, keep in mind to bring a ground plane with you, unless you are mobile. Even if you are mobile, earth ground to your chassis will be optimal.
4. Being H polar in omni directional(if I had the time I would investigate this claim) in your band, try to be obstruction free between you and the area(LOS) you are trying to hit.
Just my observations. There are a lot of antenna designs you can use. Each serves a purpose, and all should be inexpensive in your band.

Emo

Thanks for the comments Emo. I'll have to do some more investigation on this one.

Wascal,

Do you have a license already? What license are you going for?

Rod

Going for Tech Rod. Got to go one step at a time as it's hard on a old man learning new things. :p :0 Am taking the test on 12-2 , wish me luck.

Good luck, buddy!

Look forward to trying to talk with you.

And, if you need any help picking out a radio, let me know! I've researched them all!

Lee