• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Worst B&M ever

drew_goring

Big Bad Mother F*cker!
I'm not going to name any names, but I am sure if you want you could figure it out pretty easily.

I had the weekend off so I decided to make a trip to Saskatoon to check out the B&M, and maybe see if any of the new releases made it in yet. This is my third time in this place, and I really should have realized how poor it was after my first visit.

This B&M is the only Havana House of Canada (the only Canadian distributor of Cuban cigars) authorized retailer in Saskatchewan.

My first time I went there, I was looking for fluid for my Dupont X-tend. First he had no idea what Dupont was, and tried to sell me the crappy unrefined fuel. I asked him if he had any triple refined fuel (lava, Dupont brand, etc), and he said no, his stuff is just as good. So I pulled out my lighter, showed it to him and he still didn't have any idea what it was, and tried to sell me a no-name one from the counter by the till for $9.99. So I left.

My second and third visits were in the last month. They were both nearly identical. First I asked if he had any or knew when he would be getting any of the new Habanos releases in.l He didn't know what I was talking about, so I elaborated, mentioned the Cohiba maduro 5, the Canadian regional release (Bolivar if I'm not mistaken), and a few others.

He said that Cohiba doesn't currently make a maduro (obviously :rolleyes: ) and that he doesn't know anything about the new releases. I made mention of the Festival del Habano every February where they introduce the new vitolas/brands and he didn't know what I was talking about.

First when I asked him about the Canadian regional release he said "Oh yes, the Bolivar Royal Corona...number one smoke in the world". He pointed at the Cigar Aficionado poster in the corner of the humidor. I laughed to myself and tried to correct him. Then he started talking about the Canadian regional release being cuban seed grown in Ontario.

At this point I just had to leave, and do not plan on going back. I am lucky to have 2 shops in Calgary that are very knowledgable and trustworthy, but unlucky to be currently working 6 hours away from Calgary.

As well, I am lucky to have this board as well as a couple others to provide me with a wealth of knowledge at my fingertips.

This gentleman that I spoke with all 3 times was the owner of the shop by the way. :laugh:

Does anybody else have any stories about crappy B&Ms...Canada, US, or otherwise?

How the hell did he get licensed? Over here the store gets an inspection by 5th Avenue before being awarded the Casa del Havana name. And I've heard its worse than a solider having a 4 star General inspecting his kit. Thats just strange, you should complain to Havana House of Canada, shoddy service hurts their good name.

My B&M here is horrible as well.

They've got a nice setup, but refuse to put any effort in to it. I have more cigars on hand than they do in their humidor. Every time I go in there, they say, well we're getting a shipment in soon.

To make matters worse, the city has a smoking ban in place and you can't smoke even in bars. To my knowledge, this guy has the only property in the city where you can smoke indoors.......and he doesn't have so much as one chair in the place.

I "stood" in there one day and smoked a Cuban Belicoso (best cigar he had) and talked to the folks running the register (his parents). I was there about 1 hour and change and the owner walked by me about 10 times, never once saying hello or to talk cigars.

In short, horribly ran place by someone who obviously doesn't have the passion for cigars that you'd hope your B&M owner would have. It's sorry to say the least.

How the hell did he get licensed? Over here the store gets an inspection by 5th Avenue before being awarded the Casa del Havana name. And I've heard its worse than a solider having a 4 star General inspecting his kit. Thats just strange, you should complain to Havana House of Canada, shoddy service hurts their good name.

That is some great advice. I just may have to shoot Havana House of Canada an email one of these days.

I'll trade some Connecticut puros for some of them there Ontario cigars.

Doc.