• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Worst cuban cigars?

Toaster

Puff Puff Pass v2.0 2004
What are the worst cuban cigars you've ever smoked and why? Give us details.

I've had several pre-embargos that were not very good. They were obviously not stored well or were just bad cigars to begin with.

As far as taste... never had to put one down because I didn't like it, except maybe a machine made or two. Construction issues are a different story. In 1999 and early 2000 there were many bad constructed cigars. It wasn't rare to find 5-10 poorly rolled cigars in a box or a majority that did not burn well because of the H2000 hybrid wrapper. Many of these are turning around now, though, so there is some consolation in that.

If I had to pin down one Havana cigar I did not care for and would probably shy away from buying it would be the larger ring gauge Punch cigars. They just don't float my boat too much. Now, the smaller ring gauge ones, like the Ninfa... almost perfection. But, I'd still smoke a Punch double corona over any Honduran cigar, anytime.

I bought a box of 2003 Montecristo EL "C"s that were pretty horrid. They clearly need a number of years of aging, because smoking them right now is just plain no fun at all.

A year or so ago I bought a box of Montecristo- No. 5 Perlas' that were as green as the day was long. Ammonia smell everywhere! Shipped them back and the sent a box and a half for the mistake. These were wonderful.

Back in '77 I got a box of fence cigars that were pretty bad. Even some of my Marine buddies wouldn't smoke them. They couldn't be fakes but they certainly weren't very good.

WTF is a fence cigar you are asking? In Gitmo (Guantanamo bay) you would get some things like cigars and rum over the fence. You'd toss a sock with cash over the fence and get your cigars of rum the same way. I mean, this wasn't the DMZ in Korea you know.

Yes America, your clean cut Marines were trading with the enemy and I believe they still do. :)

Bolivar. Can't say I "don't like" them - only have had a couple, but none worth writing home about.

Por Larranga PC cab. Had a couple of these and they didn't exactly float my boat.

With both cigars though I do intend on trying more of them. They weren't "bad" just not what I was hoping from them.

Sam

dvickery said:
never met an habano i didnt like.if it burns i will smoke it.

derrek :)
Now there is an answer I can get a handle on!

Here here!!

In my experience, the closest thing to a "BAD" Cuban cigar that I ever smoked was a Heeber, SigloIII. And while it was dissapointing, it was still an awesome smoke.

The worst Cuban smoked was a Bolivar Churchill. Horrible burn, no draw, wrapper unwrapped, no flavor as a result of the construction. Others from the same box were fine. '03 vintage.

I have had to put down 1 Quintero that just tasted like @$$.(I think Kurt was laughing like hell at the faces I was making try to get through it while watching The Super Bowl)

And a couple of RyJ machine mades that would not draw if you crushed them and put them in a pipe.

Outside of those few, I like all (some better than others) that I have smoked up to this point in time.

I've had plenty of bad ones but I suspect they were all either sick or duds. The worst experiences I've had include a Monte 2, PSD4 and RASS which are all great cigars when on. I'd have to give the Monte 2 the nod for the worst yet. It was so bitter I had to put it down half way through.

So far, I've never put one down I didn't like- I have had draw problems... but thats about it. I agree with Styx- of my experiences, the RyJ Machine Mades are bad for draw problems....

As for bitter Monte #2- These are one of my favorite's, never had a bitter one. But like I read somewhere- the worst cigar you ever smoke couuld be laying in the same box next to the best cigar you ever smoked.

I hate all cuban cigars. Although I'm open to try a few sampler packs(in order to chagne my opinion) if anyone wants to send them my way. :)

TheBeast said:
I hate all cuban cigars. Although I'm open to try a few sampler packs(in order to chagne my opinion) if anyone wants to send them my way. :)
Ahhh Grasshopper's.......... read and learn the way of a Master! :D This is mooching in art form. Classic, elegant, non intrusive....... a Master for sure.

I've got your addie Ol Wise One. ;) :sign:

Damn...I consider that a very primative example of my overall skill...but I guess when you're at my level, even half ass attempts come across as mastery. ;) LMAO

Allofus123 said:
TheBeast said:
I hate all cuban cigars.  Although I'm open to try a few sampler packs(in order to chagne my opinion) if anyone wants to send them my way. :)
Ahhh Grasshopper's.......... read and learn the way of a Master! :D This is mooching in art form. Classic, elegant, non intrusive....... a Master for sure.

I've got your addie Ol Wise One. ;) :sign:
Hey! I started the thread- That's gotta count for something?

Address available upon request! :D

I have not had the chance to try any isom's yet. However, a local hotel I go to has a cigar bar and last time I was there I spotted a few cubans on the Cigar Menu. I don't recall what brand they are I will be there in a week and will check it out. I am curious to see if it is pre-embargo or just illegal. It may be fake, I am going to ask to go into the humidor to look at them. Their prices are about 4 times the price of other places so I probably won't buy any.

What part of the world are you in Ike? No U.S. Hotel has any ISOM's. :(

I am in New Orleans. The Ritz-Carlton here has a cigar bar with a cigar menu. It lists their cigars by country. It has the usual nic, dom, hon, and then to my surprise at the end it said Cuba. I think there were at least 2 cigars under that. It has been at least a few months since I have looked at this "menu". I will be going back there on the 6th. I will check again.

The Ritz in New Orleans is not selling Cuban Cigars. You are mistaking. :)