• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

WTF?

NullSmurf

Das Bruce
I got an email alert that caught my eye

Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2007 11:08 AM
To: BREAKINGNEWS Subscribers
Subject: FNC Alert

BUSH OUTLINES PLAN FOR POST-CASTRO CUBA: WATCH LIVE

**Watch FOX News Channel or go to http://foxnews.com for more

So, I go immediately, only to see Bush say "viva Cuba libre", then leave. Did anyone catch this speech?

I caught pieces of it....but it seemed like he was speaking without actually saying anything...

Nah, ain't gonna say it. It'll violate the board politicking rules.

Did anybody catch what he actually said, or have a link to what the talking heads thought he said?

Thanks for the links, Horse.

So, the significance is not in what he said (since he said nothing new), but that he spoke about Cuba/Castro at all.

I caught some of it and it sounded something like the US setting up the people in order to oust communism after Castro is finished.

Nah, ain't gonna say it. It'll violate the board politicking rules.

Did anybody catch what he actually said, or have a link to what the talking heads thought he said?
:laugh:

I dunno Bruce, it seems the more I hang around politicians almost all of them do it and the higher the office, the worse it gets, regardless of party. :D

Thanks for the links, Horse.

So, the significance is not in what he said (since he said nothing new), but that he spoke about Cuba/Castro at all.
Horse,
I think that link is to an old speech. The top right corner indicates 2003 .... But the Bloomberg Report looks to reflect the current speech. :thumbs:

I just like that I keep seeing this theme more and more in the public media than I ever have in the past:

The president urged Congress to maintain the 45-year-old U.S. trade embargo on Cuba's regime ``until it changes.'' Life in Cuba ``will not improve by exchanging one dictator for another,'' Bush said. ``It will not improve if we seek accommodation with a new tyranny in the interest of stability.''
<snip>
``Today's stale approach fails to acknowledge that American citizens are the greatest ambassadors of democracy, freedom and hope to the Cuban people,'' USA Engage Director Jake Colvin said in a statement after Bush's speech. ``Our policies make such contact virtually impossible, and threaten to make the United States irrelevant on the island.''

Call for New Approach

A former U.S. diplomat said that while Bush had the right idea, the approach is wrong.

``Continuing to isolate Cuba will not produce the outcome'' Bush wants, Ambassador Vicki Huddleston, chief of the American Interests section in Cuba from 1999 to 2002, said in a statement. ``As long as we demand that the Cuban regime reform before we help, we allow Raul Castro a veto over empowering the Cuban people,'' said Huddleston, now a visiting fellow at the Brookings Institution in Washington.

Obviously I am not referring to Bush's stance on the subject. I hope it keeps coming up and we see some significant changes toward traditional American freedoms. :thumbs:

So long as there is an embargo, so be it. However, I'm with Ambassador Huddleston in that isolation is no longer the best plan. I say we kill em with capitalism. Fascist capitalism isn't much of an improvement over Communism, but it is an improvement.