• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Xikar Drymistat Sticks. How many? Where to place?

TonK

I have a 75 capacity humidor that is kinda near or over capacity :)

I'm using 4 Drymistat sticks.

Hygrometer reads 64% and 70* - I have them spread out kinda evenly, from the bottom to the top.

I'm also a "cello on" guy.

Think I need more?

Less?

I don't like 70% - but will these be enough?

Any tips?

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Nothing wrong with 64% IMO.

Keep doing what you're doing!

Nothing wrong with 64% IMO.

Keep doing what you're doing!

Sorry, another question.

Since I'm using 4 DryMistat sticks, do you think the humidity should go up?

It's only a 75 cap humidor with about 65 sticks in it.

One stick is supposed to humidify 25-50 cigars.

This is an "it depends" kind of answer TonK, the DryMistat tubes only release humidity in the air. The more distilled water you add until the crystals are saturated, the more humidity the cigars will soak up. If you want all 4 in the humidor, only get 1/3 of the tube full of jell/water, That tends to release less humidity to the cigars, MAYBE reaching a lower RH throughout the humi.

If you put only 1-2 tubes and fill it up with water, the cigars closest to the tubes will try to absorb the most humidity, cigars are hygroscopic! Judging by how full you say your humi is, there is hardly any air for the tubes to SLOWLY humidify your smokes.

This is an "it depends" kind of answer TonK, the DryMistat tubes only release humidity in the air. The more distilled water you add until the crystals are saturated, the more humidity the cigars will soak up. If you want all 4 in the humidor, only get 1/3 of the tube full of jell/water, That tends to release less humidity to the cigars, MAYBE reaching a lower RH throughout the humi.

If you put only 1-2 tubes and fill it up with water, the cigars closest to the tubes will try to absorb the most humidity, cigars are hygroscopic! Judging by how full you say your humi is, there is hardly any air for the tubes to SLOWLY humidify your smokes.

Should I go with a 2 way system such as Boveda?

I reseasoned my humidor and have 3 sticks in there now. The humidity is holding steady at 70%.

Will these adequately humidify my smokes?

Should I go with a 2 way system such as Boveda? It's a whole lot easier! When you get enough yard gar smokes from buying all kinds of samplers and find you don't like those, bring the Drymistat sticks out and play around with them so if you screw things up, no harm done.

I reseasoned my humidor and have 3 sticks in there now. The humidity is holding steady at 70%.

Will these adequately humidify my smokes? I think you're over-thinking the whole process, but I am guilty of that when I first got into the hobby. ;) I know a couple of guys that use those sticks all the time with no problems for them, however, they've been smoking a long time. Boveda packs or humidity beads will allow you to enjoy your smokes and not fuss too much about the RH.

Also, have you used the search function in the bottom left corner or peruse the "The Humidor" sections' back pages, you'd be surprised how much you will pick up quickly. Good luck!

Should I go with a 2 way system such as Boveda? It's a whole lot easier! When you get enough yard gar smokes from buying all kinds of samplers and find you don't like those, bring the Drymistat sticks out and play around with them so if you screw things up, no harm done.

Will these adequately humidify my smokes? I think you're over-thinking the whole process, but I am guilty of that when I first got into the hobby. ;) I know a couple of guys that use those sticks all the time with no problems for them, however, they've been smoking a long time. Boveda packs or humidity beads will allow you to enjoy your smokes and not fuss too much about the RH.

Also, have you used the search function in the bottom left corner or peruse the "The Humidor" sections' back pages, you'd be surprised how much you will pick up quickly. Good luck!

Thanks buddy.

I'm just getting too many conflicting testimonials.

I know I'm over thinking this whole process - Xikar claims that these sticks are a 2-way system.

Then I read that they just emit moisture, not absorb.

I've read many positive reviews on the Heartfelt Beads - I'm not sure on them though. I can't find any specific information on them even from Heartfelts site.

Boveda seems like the easiest system to use.

I use to use 2 drymistat for my 75 count and it always held at around 70% RH (which is what I believe they are rated for). Then I got a medium sized Heartfelt tube (65%) and put that sucker in after spraying it down with some water. Turns out that I didn't need to put that much water on it, the RH jumped up to 75%. So then I let the HF tube dry out, I put in 1 drymistat (filled with water), and the HF Tube right next to it. Ever since then, the RH has been a perfect 65% constantly. And it stays constant for about 6 weeks at a time without needing to add water. And I've tested the RH at various locations throughout the humidor, 64-65% and very stable.

Tonk,
I am very new to this hobby, but I bought the Heartfelt beads in July after researching them on here and I very happy with them. It has been a mostly "set it and forget" operation for me. I am running a 48 qt. (I know, I know, too small) coolidor. I put the beads in in July and I just now (last week) had to add any mositure to them (it is getting cold in my area and the air is drying out). IMO they work great. Just my $.02.

If you have any specific questions about hearfelt beads, just email or call him. As for the testimonials, I highly doubt you will find anybody complain about his product or his reputation.

Can I ask if you guys like beads or Boveda better?

I want a true 2 way system.

Can I ask if you guys like beads or Boveda better?

I want a true 2 way system.

I can't speak for the Boveda, as I have never used them. The heartfelt beads are defiantly a two way system.

Thanks for all your help, guys.

I ordered a 12 pack of Boveda 72's

See how I like 2 way systems.

If they work, I'm sticking with them.

Humidity fluctuates too much with the Drymistat.

Yeah 64% is great, however what i did when i was using those sticks, is i had about 5 spread throughout my humidor, and used the crystal rocks to absorb the extra humidity if it got too high. I thought the sticks worked well, but i eventually switched to the Cigar Oasis Ultra, cheap, works good, easy to adjust, and low maintenence

Thanks for all of your help fellas, I went with the Boveda Packs.

I bought some Heartfelt beads, first order never made it to me...made a second order, that's how bad I want them after dealing with gel humidification devices.

Boveda 72s? Does that imply an rh of 72? That seems a bit high for my taste but to each their own. If your cigars are smoking well at 72 then so be it. I personally prefer 65. You do know that the heartfelt beads get recharged (add some distilled water) and will last you for years to come, right? Just want to check.

Boveda is a good system. I use them for my three desk top humidors and I use beads for my coolers. I've used Boveda for about three years now and they work great. My advice is not to fly with them. I've had two Boveda packets rupture in my Cigar Caddy in two different flights. I ended up with sticky, goopy stuff on my cigars. The ones in cello were fine, the naked ones had to be tossed. Must be something with the air pressure of the packets being defective.

I too agree that 72rh is on the high side, but it really depends on the seal of your humidor. If the seal isn't real tight, you may need the 72rh packets just to maintain 70rh to 68 rh in your humidor. Also, the packets are typically only good for about 3 months during the winter here in the northeast.

Boveda is a good system. I use them for my three desk top humidors and I use beads for my coolers. I've used Boveda for about three years now and they work great. My advice is not to fly with them. I've had two Boveda packets rupture in my Cigar Caddy in two different flights. I ended up with sticky, goopy stuff on my cigars. The ones in cello were fine, the naked ones had to be tossed. Must be something with the air pressure of the packets being defective.

I too agree that 72rh is on the high side, but it really depends on the seal of your humidor. If the seal isn't real tight, you may need the 72rh packets just to maintain 70rh to 68 rh in your humidor. Also, the packets are typically only good for about 3 months during the winter here in the northeast.

I'm very impressed with how well these packets work. I use 3 in my 75ct and 2 in my 30ct.

The RH in my 75 is a solid 70%, where I keep my NC's and 68% in my 30 where I keep my Cubans.

I don't mind buying these packs. The peace of mind is worth it alone.