• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Xikar Lighter Issues

Wisco

I got a Xikar lighter from my father for a birthday present last year. I have some issues with it not lighting every time (1 out of 5-10 clicks gets a flame). Every time I think about sending it back in I end up lighting but a cigar instead and don't want to be without it for long. Anyone have experience sending something back to Xikar for repair? Should I send it now or wait until the winter when smoking slows down for me due to weather?

Thanks for your knowledge in advance.

I had to send my Xi3 cutter in for repair because the handles kept falling off. I forget exactly how long it was, but I want to say somewhere around two weeks door to door. I sent it out the same time I sent my Zippo in for repair, and I know they came back both around the same time.

Thanks Tom. I thought that might be the case. Might just have to wait til the snow falls. Appreciate it.

I can second Tom's experience, two weeks to replace my Xikar Xi3.

Which lighter do you have? I have the same issue with my Executive when it's getting low on butane.

I've got the Element. Never seems to vary due to fuel level. I can see the spark not making its way to the ignition point.

I've got the Element. Never seems to vary due to fuel level. I can see the spark not making its way to the ignition point.

Sometimes you have to bend the element inside to aim the spark at the jets. That being said, I dont know if the element has that type of ignition. Ill have to look at mine when I get back to the house.

I just got mine back last week. It was an Element. Took about two weeks to get it back. Looks like they just replaced it. I've dealt with Xikar before.

Always top notch folks! :thumbs:

G-

You can always pick up a Ronson for about $3 from walmart while your xikar is in for repairs.

I have the same problem with the Enigma lighter from Xikar. If you click it fast then it is pretty sporadic in actually firing up. I would think it has about a 20% success rate. That being said, I have never sent it back because, at least with this model, you can sort of slow down the click to allow the fuel to enter the jets before the spark. I have found just giving a split second of time for fuel to enter the jets before finishing the click causes about 80% of success on firing up.

Good luck.

I have the same problem with the Enigma lighter from Xikar. If you click it fast then it is pretty sporadic in actually firing up. I would think it has about a 20% success rate. That being said, I have never sent it back because, at least with this model, you can sort of slow down the click to allow the fuel to enter the jets before the spark. I have found just giving a split second of time for fuel to enter the jets before finishing the click causes about 80% of success on firing up.

Good luck.

I have to do that with my Executive.

Xikar's customer service is top notch. They replaced a Cocobolo cutter that broke, and the one I got as a replacement was very dark and almost featureless wood ... Allison replaced it again with a hand picked one from their stock. Can't be beat.

You can always pick up a Ronson for about $3 from walmart while your xikar is in for repairs.

BT, I couldn't agree more. I have gone through 10-12 lighters over past few years, some fairly expensive. I went to Walmart, bought a Ronson for $2.94; works great. And, it has lasted as long as the more expensive lighters. I bought two extras today, only way to go IMO.

Just throwing this out there: what type of butane are you using? Xikars tend to get plugged with crappy butane alot.

My understanding is that with Xikars, all you have to do is take it to a Xikar dealer (local B&M) and if they have the same model, they'll replace yours with existing stock and send the bad one in.

My understanding is that with Xikars, all you have to do is take it to a Xikar dealer (local B&M) and if they have the same model, they'll replace yours with existing stock and send the bad one in.

That's true if the retailer wants to participate but they are not required to.

This is an old thread but just in case someone else has the same issue later (I was having it today) you probably just have carbon build up on your ignition element. Think of it as a spark plug. Simply clean the carbon off and you'll be all set. When cleaning the element don't pull it out all the way because it sits in a little plastic tube / channel to insulate/guide it. If you do pull it all the way out, I did, you can realign the tube with some tweezers / a pin by holding down the switch and nudging it over. The butane diffusers can be taken out be simply unscrewing them with needle point tweezers and taking the whole assembly apart to make it easier to work with. The whole process including mistakes took less than 20mins.

I saw this thread while searhing for any comments about xikar butane. I see posted here that the best butane is filtered 5 times and I was wondering what thoughts anyone might have on the Xikar product. They claim it is "purofine" but the can metions nothing about filtering. Thanks for in any info in advance.

Regards

This is an old thread but just in case someone else has the same issue later (I was having it today) you probably just have carbon build up on your ignition element. Think of it as a spark plug. Simply clean the carbon off and you'll be all set. When cleaning the element don't pull it out all the way because it sits in a little plastic tube / channel to insulate/guide it. If you do pull it all the way out, I did, you can realign the tube with some tweezers / a pin by holding down the switch and nudging it over. The butane diffusers can be taken out be simply unscrewing them with needle point tweezers and taking the whole assembly apart to make it easier to work with. The whole process including mistakes took less than 20mins.

Or just use a can of compressed air, that's what I did. I had a few minor issues with my Xikar executive as well, I found that if you push the button a little slower and allow some of the butane to come out BEFORE the ignition sparks you will almost always get a flame, worked for me, don't know about you tho.

BT, I couldn't agree more. I have gone through 10-12 lighters over past few years, some fairly expensive. I went to Walmart, bought a Ronson for $2.94; works great. And, it has lasted as long as the more expensive lighters. I bought two extras today, only way to go IMO.

I'm checking this out. Can a person buy them somewhere other than Walmart?

I'm checking this out. Can a person buy them somewhere other than Walmart?

Seen them at drug stores and grocery stores....