• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Ya Hoo!

kingpin

Well after 8 years I have finally finished my college degree and seeing as my boss had given me the rest of the day off decided to commemorate the occasion and took a small detour and stopped and picked up a smoke for the ride home. After looking around a bit I settled on an Avo Legacy. The cigar had a nice appearance an even burn and a smooth draw. The Avo started out very mild and stayed that way until about half way through but as it progressed the hints of pepper and leather became more pronounced. All in all this was a pretty good cigar but I do not think that it is worth what I paid for it.

Seeing as this was a special day I could not let my celebratory smoke end there so after mowing the lawn I proceeded on to a Diamond Crown Maximus robusto (#5). I had had one of these sitting in the humidor and had read some reviews that were somewhat negative so I decided to try it out for myself. I have to say I kind of liked it. The wrapper was smooth and dark and while the burn started out a little uneven it straightened it’s self out about ¼ of the way through. The draw was great and provided a great deal of smoke and a lot of flavor. The cigar had a spicy, earthy flavor and maybe slight hints of chocolate but I am not sure but that is what I would call it. I really liked this cigar and I think that if I have the opportunity I will pick up some more but let them age a little longer, I have some Torps (#3) that I will try later this summer to see how they are.

But I still did not want to end my smoking experience there so next in my line up was a Partages EL 01’ that I had been saving for a special occasion and I am glad I did. The wrapper was dark, oily, and finely veined. The draw was a little tight in the beginning but as it warmed up the cigar provided an abundance of smoke and flavor, rich earthy flavors highlighted by leather and pepper. The ash was still pretty solid after 3” and only fell off when my dog jumped into my lap. My only complaint about this cigar is that towards the end I had a hell of a time keeping it lit and had to put it down too soon. I wish I had bought more of these when I had the chance.

Finally after a great dinner made by my wife I got ready for my last cigar of the day. Accompanied by my favorite scotch I lit up an Opus xXx one of my all time favorites but something I do not get to smoke a lot of. I immediately remembered why it is one of my favorites strong spicy flavors it wasn’t long before I started to feel that familiar tingle in my lips followed by numbness. This cigar is truly a powerhouse of a smoke goes well with a glass of good scotch. I hope my reviews were somewhat helpful and not to boring to everyone but they are my first and this was a special occasion for me.

8 years! It took Bluto 8 years to get out of Faber and he became a Senator :p

Congrats on finishing all the hard work and those tastey smokes too.

CONGRATULATIONS on finishing your degree and great review of the smokes. :)

Congrats man -- now you just need to hang out at the club for a smoke :)

Way to go Steve!!! Congratulations :thumbs:

Now all we gotta do is get you hooked on Havanas and you'll forget all about those Fuente cigars :p

Congratulations.

Besides mowing the lawn, it sounds like you handled the day off well. Now, the big question...........Did you get a raise for the degree?

M. Gipson

Well Congrats on graduating sir. I was only 6.5 years at The Ohio Stae University, you wouldn't be OSU alum by any chance (5+ years is the norm now) would you?

After all the time in college I don't even use my degree; I call it my "degree in unemployment", but I became an IT whore so I still get by. Hopefully you get to use what you studied.

Good review on the smoke, what kind of scotch did you accompany it with? It appears a single malt boom is doing to scotch what happened to cigars 10 years back. I can't even get Balvenie or Oban for less than $75 a fifth let alone the really good stuff. I made a mistake and tried one of Laphroag's new "finish" line recently (the port finish) thinking it might be like Balvenie double cask. Like the wise Beavis once said, "you can't polish a turd." :D No way can I drink it without a smoke, and it is not one I can drink neat either. I decided to try out bourbon as a less costly alternative to scotch. I also picked of a fifth of Knob Creek when I bought the laphroag, and I am really glad I did. I really like the Knob Creek, and next time I make it down to a "wet" county I am definitely going to sample another bourbon.

Matt

Take a look at this thread. Mail order is the way to go sometimes.

I graduated From Rochester Institute of Technology with a management degree. OSU would have been nice but the commute would have been a killer. As far as putting it to use I'll probobly end up with a title change, alot of extra work and a very small raise but I guess that is better than nothing at this point.

As far as the scotch goes I was drinking JW blue that I have had for several yrs.