• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

You ice guys

sigar_zealot

FattyMcButterPants
A few months ago I was in Las Vegas when I decided I needed a drink. Yeah I know, a lot of my goofy stories start this way.

My buddy and I wandered into some swanky bar inside Aria Hotel when he decided we should try a Glenglassaugh 26 year old. It was his turn to buy so I wasn't complaining. I remember our waitress was super model quality with legs up to my....well, never mind, but you get the idea. She asked if we wanted to try their ice ball presentation. I said no, he said yes. Before I know what happened I was agreeing to have this so called ice ball thing as well. Did I mention she was pretty tall and really pretty?

Anyway, it was kind of cool especially in Las Vegas with all the lights reflecting off the sphere. Tonight I stumbled across this article which reminded me I meant to post about it here. According to this article Macallan kind of stole this idea from the Japanese who have a tradition of serving ice sculptures with their ultra premium spirits. Due to the size and the shape of the sphere it melts pretty slowly.

Ice ball kits can be ordered on Amazon. I'm not a big ice guy but I may grab one for the summer months and some of my cask strength scotches.

You can read the article here: Ice Sphere Be sure to scroll down for the photo. The one we had was almost perfectly clear.

The Japanese liked absolutely clear ice since before I was there in '73. I remember that some of those ice ball makers were ridiculously priced a few years ago but thought that the fad kinds died out here in the US. BTW that Glenglassaugh is one of my favorites for the year.

The Japanese liked absolutely clear ice since before I was there in '73. I remember that some of those ice ball makers were ridiculously priced a few years ago but thought that the fad kinds died out here in the US. BTW that Glenglassaugh is one of my favorites for the year.

I have no idea what they charged for the ice balls since he paid for the drinks but it looked expensive. The 26 year old whisky was about $50 a glass.

I almost imported a bottle a few weeks ago but I backed off because I have spent so much money of late. Between this order, the BTAC and all the Pappy Van Winkle 20 year old.

Maybe next Christmas. ;)

BTW, I am popping the cork on that bottle of Glen Grant 1958 50 year old you imported for me in less than 2 months!
Thanks again brother!

You've been holding on to that one for some time. I hope it's everything you hope for.

When I ordered it I was just hoping to live long enough to earn the right to open it. (50)

I'm getting close man! :laugh: