• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

You thought you had some powerful wood...

LilBastage

Meat is murder! Tasty, tasty murder.
A car made of wood is set to reach 240mph later this year.

This is a pretty interesting project. It's nothing new (cars made of wood) but it's certainly taking things to a new level. The finished wheels are something to behold.

The guy has posted a crapload of pics but no explanation as to what you are looking at. Sure is purdy tho.

Nice, but I don't really understand why they are using wood. What are they testing? Studying?

Nice, but I don't really understand why they are using wood. What are they testing? Studying?

According to the article that was in the actual magazine they're exploring the different ways that wood can be used where strength and flexibility are important. They're using various veneers and actually weaving them together to achieve strength without excess weight.

I think it's also one of those things that comes up in discussion and somebody says, "Why the hell not?"

Edited to add this from their website: "We are building a high-performance, mid-engined super car from wood composites as a graduate project at North Carolina State University. Wood will be used where ever possible, including the chassis, body, and large percentages of the suspension components and wheels. The car has a target weight of 2500lbs and a power goal of over 600 horsepower. We aren't trying to sell anything; we aren't trying to save the world, and we aren't advocating that everyone should drive a wooden car. This project is a scholastic endeavor in which are simply trying to explore materials, learn, teach, share ideas, and stimulate creativity."