• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Young Smokers

KyL

I have a problem and I need your help! Im a young smoker and new to cigars and I live at home with my parents. But none of my family members know that I like to enjoy a cigar from time to time. How exactly do I explain to them that smoking a fine cigar is like drinking fine wine which is something they enjoy. Have any of you had problems similiar to mine?

hahahah, this should be a good one.

How old exactly are you??

If yer under 18, I wouldn't even bother.. If you are over 18, and living in your parents home, you best respect their wishes. What you do outside your parents home is still under scrutiny, no matter how old you are, as long as its their dime feeding you. Just because you are 18 doesn't mean you are all grown up.

If you are over 18, and assist wtih paying your way, then you do whatever the heck you want, but I suggest moving out on your own.

You're not going to convince them of anything, so don't even try. It's tough these days for folks your age to set out on your own. Rents are high and no landlord is crazy about renting to a 20 something or less. Set a goal to get out on your own. Save some money. Find someone to share rent and set yourself free. Or, you could join the Navy.

Doc.

Or, you could join the Navy.

Doc.

Then you'll have the Navy telling you what you can and can't smoke! But at least it won't be your folks!

Sorry Doc, couldn't resist. My brother was admonished for a sunburn.. "Damaging government property"

My parents were fine with it, in fact my dad smoked with me every onece in a while before i was even 18. Now, I live on my own in a house with a friend of mine. Have a nice smoking deck in the middle of a bunch of trees cause I live in the mountains, and nothing could be better. I'm not sure how old you are but as you as you get the chance, get out and experience life and a fine cigar. Or two...

Bro, I've been going through this since I began smoking cigars. Honestly, the best thing to do is to tell your parents, you neve rknow what they'll say unless you tell them. If they are sane human beings they have to respect that you came out and told them straight up. It'l be a lot worse if they find your humidor and then toss the cigars out b/c theyr'e furious you hid stuff from them. See how they react after you tlel them. They may care, may not care. My parents DEFINITELY cared. They even tried buying me away from this habit TWO YEARS IN A ROW. Every now and again I try to tell my mom how much i love this hobby and that its not a chemical telling me I love the hobby---its YOU GUYS. lol damn bastids :p. Best advice: tell them and see what they say. This iwll aslo help when you receive packages, yo uwont have to pussy foot around "what did you receive" you can just say "i bought a few cigars". You can always use the defense that never works: "well at least I was straight up and honest about it with you guys. Ic oudl have hid it from you and it's not illegal for me to do."

good luck bro. It all gets easier when you go to college =)....now..where did I put my lighter! (hah jk jk..smoking has to wait until after work tongiht :()

I have a problem and I need your help! Im a young smoker and new to cigars and I live at home with my parents. But none of my family members know that I like to enjoy a cigar from time to time. How exactly do I explain to them that smoking a fine cigar is like drinking fine wine which is something they enjoy. Have any of you had problems similiar to mine?
Hopefully you're of age. If not, disregard what everyone has said.

I'm in the same situation as you. I still live at home (I"M SAVING MONEY, DAMMIT! :D ), and I'm constantly getting cravings for a cigar. Unfortunately, my family is pretty anti-smoking, so I know just coming out and lighting up in front of them would not go over well. So I save my cigar smoking for nights out with my friends and my brothers' house. I don't get shipments too often but sometimes I'll have them shipped to my work address.

You'll just have to feel your parents out. Will they be open to it? If not, than I would assume the best you'd be able to do is to get them to at least "accept" that it is your decsion and the truth is you could be doing much worse things with your time and money (like tattoos and strippers, like me!).

You'll just have to weigh the risk/reward with telling them or keeping it hush-hush. There's a difference in telling them because you want to be honest, and telling them because you're subconsciously saying, "F U!"

Under their roof, under their rules. At least that's how it was with me growing up.