• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

youth versus age..

mitchshrader

So I've just finished the Daniel Bouju 15 (60% ABV) and opened the 40 year old (50% ABV) and it's as close as a head to head as I can manage.

First off, my consumption is measured in CC's per week, and it's a single digit. This stuff is liquid gold, heavenly nectar, yer hottest girlfriends cleavage sweat.. a few drops is a LOT..

So don't expect to hear stories of mass guzzling.

The 15 year old is rich and syrupy, with an immediate impact of sweet raisen syrup, a hint of wet dog, grape stems, fresh plums, spicy wood, and a straightforward surge of flavor that starts with the first aroma in your nose and lingers in the back of your throat for minutes..

An amazing and explosively flavorful cognac, young and rich and primitive and elegant all at once.. think of some young heiress doing the dirty boogie..

The only* negative point is a tiny bit of astringency right at the first sip, a touch too much of the grape stem, a little MORE wood than is ideal, though it's very good spicy wood, it tends to hide the fruit flavors..

Still, *very* close to perfect, and enormous isn't the wrong word. Long finish, fading into spice wood and honey..

Compared to the 40 year old.. mmm... now here's a problem i'd like to have more often..

First comparison is on the aroma.. the 40 year old is both less intense, and less enthusiastic. Definitely the same aromas but muted, civilized, speaking in hushed tones. The heiress is dozing..

The clarity of the flavor is improved, integrated, shaped into one single taste.. the astringency has vanished, to be replaced with a faint vanilla, and the raisen syrup has morphed into honey on pears, walnuts, currants.. much more complex but seamlessly flowing from a tiny hint to a memory across the tongue.. the alcohol is even LESS obvious, if that's possible, and the pure elegant construction of the taste profile fades in waves, until the memory demands refreshing.

This is the first liquor in my life i'd rate a 95. The 15 yr old, comparitively, i'd put at a 92.

My favorite scotches (Mac 18 & Aberlour 16) are 89 and 87 respectively, on my tally sheet.

My favorite Rye, Saz 18, is a 91.

I'd sure appreciate recommendations for anything of the same caliber. :)