• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Zino Platinum Scepter Chubby

EzTheFix

Posted by E.Z. under Cigar Reviews (Photos)

Every now and gain I’ll smoke a renowned and relatively expensive cigar and come away thinking that the stick is an absolute rip-off. One such disappointment, to the surprise of many of the readers of this blog, was the Trinidad Robusto Extra (Cuba).

This review of the Zino Platinum Scepter Chubby made me think of that Trinidad review, but only in as much as it exemplified what the Robusto Extra should have tasted like… no joke!

Both of these cigars are supposed to be lighter bodied, finesse type of smokes. You shouldn’t expect to have your socks knocked off with the Chubby; exceptional attention to detail, impeccable construction, and an excellent volume of light-bodied and elegantly aromatic smoke is what the entire Platinum Scepter series is all about.

The Chubby is a very well made cigar. It also happens to be a very nice format and gauge, allowing for a pleasant smoke of just about forty minutes. The Ecuadorian Connecticut wrapper is on the cigar smells of sweet cedar and butter; it hints at a lighter-bodied smoke ahead, nevertheless, it’s a delight. It brought back memories of my early Davidoff infatuation days, though I would say that the Davidoff Millennium Series wrappers are tad fuller than the Platinum Scepters’.

The pre-light draw on the cigar is mild but nice, delivering some notes of hay and sweet spice. I lit this one up with a cedar strip—the narrow foot makes for a foolproof traditional lighting—and got immediate plumes of aromatic smoke.

The notes were predominantly of sweet spices and herbs—nutmeg and tarragon come to mind, respectively. As the smoke progressed, it got chewier and a tad earthy, though retaining its original character. I got a bit more cedar and intensity of spicy notes before the end.

As you can probably see, the burn on the Chubby was perfectly even and the ash was appropriately long. Don’t feel compelled to take this cigar to the nub, though; lay it down in time and enjoy a sweet woody finish. I recommend the Platinum Scepter Chubby to anyone who likes milder cigars for sure, and even if you normally do not, it’s still a heck of an elegant smoke, delivering where other touted cigars fall flat. :thumbs:

GREAT review and fantastic pics. I have one of these and just haven't found the right time to enjoy it yet. However now I may make time.

Good review mate.
I was wondering if these were worth trying, I will give them a go now. :D

Posted by E.Z. under Cigar Reviews (Photos)

Reading back through some of your Reviews Easy. Thank you sir! Very nice and a welcome twist to a great place to hang out.

Smoked one of these last season during the American Idol T.V. Show. Had to be one of the most refreshing sticks I've smoked in a long time.. Light to medium bodied. Somewhat one demensional as I didnt note any heavy flavor changes. The one thing that still sticks with me even from so far back in time. Is how much I enjoyed this stick... For those that haven't tried one, you really should. Little pricey though...

Your Friend On and Off The Playing Field

botl43

Very nice review EZ.

I've had a few Zino cigars and at that price point would rather purchase a Davidoff. However I think everyone who enjoys cigars should at least give them a try and the Platinum line are hands down my favorite Zinos.

First time I'd seen this smoke it was gifted by a friend before he went in the joint for a few years (pay your taxes folks). I stuck it in the humi for a rainy day and haven't thought of it since. Your review has piqued my interest, thanks!

Rob

A DAMM good smoke but just really really overpriced. If they would just back off maybe 15-20% this would be in a lot more peoples humis methinks. But then they would not be exclusive, which if I remember correctly wa sthe original marketing twist( I think they were geared towards the Elite athletes, hip-hoppers/musicians, and other various Hollywooders).

Definitely a good review on a great cigar. :thumbs:

They're a little pricey at retail, but if you have friends in high places sometimes you can snag them for 35% off, in which case they are worth stocking up on. :cool: