• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Ziplocks in Wine o dors

Big Stick

:cool: Just Had a question, if you had some of your sticks in ziplocks (sealed)in the wineodor
Is that as save as the having them in Cigar boxes?
Can the RH change in the sealed bag?

Thanks in advance,
Justin

Good question. I would say that yes, the RH would change easier in the ziplocks, before it would change in the boxes. You dont have the buffer with the ziplocks as you do with the boxes. You would get the same result in a coolidor also. I store some sticks in ziplocks in my wine-o-dor, and have not noticed anything detrimental to them.

Bill

I can't make sense out of any of this.......

EDIT: added "of" because what I posted didn't make any sense either :laugh:

I am still puzzled however by your original question:
Is that as save as the having them in Cigar boxes?
That sentence doesn't make any sense. Did you mean "same" or "safe" or what? ???
The answer to your second question is yes.

I can't make sense out of any this.......

I can't either. What is the point of the ziplock? Is it just a storage situation? I would much rather keep cigars in the original box, as most have cedar lining that help regulate rh within them. I say if its good enough for the manufacturers, then its good enough for me. For the singles... maybe some little plastic baskets or something. Just my .02 cents...

mac

"What is the point of the ziplock?"

Well, Since my wine o dor has a see threw window
I'd be able to see right thre the glass and threw the zip lock to my rare stick

(not opening the wine odor as often as I love to sniff them) :love:

But after reading your respones Id like my sticks to be buffered better

What I do is put the singles in a ziplock and punch holes in it. My wine cooler is holding 65-68% top to bottom. The bags are just to save space and the holes in the bag let the sticks breathe a little better (i think). I haven't had a problem as for as smoke quality....although I am still new to this.

There is no need to poke holes in the bags. Plastic used for ziplock style bags are permeable and will be fine placed in humidified storage.

I keep plenty of cigars in ziplocks. I have received plenty of cigars without their boxes and placing them in a ziplock protects them and I can write on the bag info about the cigar(s) inside.

One benifit I can tell you about ziplocks..... I've yet to see a beetle chew through one.

There is no need to poke holes in the bags. Plastic used for ziplock style bags are permeable and will be fine placed in humidified storage.

I keep plenty of cigars in ziplocks. I have received plenty of cigars without their boxes and placing them in a ziplock protects them and I can write on the bag info about the cigar(s) inside.

One benifit I can tell you about ziplocks..... I've yet to see a beetle chew through one.

Not to change the subject... but I think this is why I have had so much trouble with salt testing in ziplocks. Since yesterday I have been calibrating my new Oregon Scientific sensors. I put them in the zips for about 15 hours... everything was about 2-3% off. Taking the advice of Wilkey in his hygro calibration thread, I moved everything to the lock style tupperware containers... for the last 6 hours or so, both sensors are reading exactly the same... 75%, 72 degrees. By far the most accurate reading I have ever experienced. I am so happy!!! :D

Bottom line... zips might be no good for accurate salt test readings. I would imagine they are okay for storing cigars as well...

mac

Not to change the subject... but I think this is why I have had so much trouble with salt testing in ziplocks. Since yesterday I have been calibrating my new Oregon Scientific sensors. I put them in the zips for about 15 hours... everything was about 2-3% off. Taking the advice of Wilkey in his hygro calibration thread, I moved everything to the lock style tupperware containers... for the last 6 hours or so, both sensors are reading exactly the same... 75%, 72 degrees. By far the most accurate reading I have ever experienced. I am so happy!!! :D

Bottom line... zips might be no good for accurate salt test readings. I would imagine they are okay for storing cigars as well...

mac

Most people recommend double bagging if you're doing a salt test with ziplocks. I prefer a glass or plexi glass jar. Tupperware works great too if you can see through it but the stuff I have you can't. I like to see my hygro without opening the top.

All in all..... you will never ever be able to maintain your cigars at exactly X (whatever X is for you). If your hygro is close and your cigars are smoking good... forgetaboutit.

Thats the truth. I have been saved by exactly this twice now when I was sent sticks that hatched those vermin.

I keep some loose sticks in the single cigar ziploks. I have found that the bags coupled with the boxes keeps them very stable. I usually only leave very important cigars bagged for the extra beetle protection, not necessarily for RH reasons. If one were to break loose in a box, it would only be able to eat that single cigar.

I keep all the loose cigars in my cooler in ziplocks and have never had a problem. They smoke fine, their humidity is fine, the bags do not encourage mold (they don't prevent it either), the sticks are a little better protected from damage than just being loose, and if a beetle appears the worst he can do is eat about five cigars.