• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Boveda recharge

Nate1977

UNIMPEACH CHAD
I only recently figured out you can recharge boveda , so I bought a rubber maid container , filled shot glass up with water and added it put pack in this worked for 3 that had , I know have one in there going on 3 weeks it is still on the dry side , not sure weather to just trash it or give it some more time ?
Thanks nate

Use a sponge more surface area, you can even lay the Boveda on the sponge

I use a sponge in a lock 'n' seal container with my Bovida's for recharge / storage. I don't let the pack touch the wet sponge, but that's MHO only. Give it a shot, see what happens. I think if you get the outside of the Bovida wet, you'll destroy the integrity of the package, and the thing will leak. That's a complete guess on my part.

My experience is that once you 'potato chip' the packs, they're toast. Discard and move on.

PS: If you don't have a local source, you can buy new Bovida packs on Amazon for a reasonable price. Most ship free with 'Prime', too.

thanks, I get my 69% locally cheaper then on amazon but gotta order the 62s from amazon

I did come across this...
http://rooftopcigarreviews.com/how-to-recharge-a-boveda/
Soaking in Distilled Water:

To recharge a Boveda in distilled water, all you will need is an unused plastic container like a Tupperware. First, fill the bottom of the container with enough water to fully immerse the Boveda. Then place the Boveda in the distilled water and put the lid on. 8g packs will take a day or two to fully saturate in the water, while 60g packs will take around 4 days to fully saturate. Once the Boveda’s are fully saturated, remove them from the containers and let them dry off in a towel. They will lose their slimy texture and return to their paper feel within an hour or two. This method is the simplest and the fastest for recharging your Boveda’s.

Do not mix the values. Charge your 65, then yor 69, etc.

OK, I'll bite.....why?

As I understand it, unlike beads, the RH of these is determined by the % of saline in solution. I don't see how recharging different RH set point packs can affect each other.....??

Now, if you immerse them in water....different story.

Just curious.....and, to be clear, I'm an electrical engineer, that chemistry stuff makes my head hurt.......:D

I did come across this...
http://rooftopcigarreviews.com/how-to-recharge-a-boveda/
Soaking in Distilled Water:

To recharge a Boveda in distilled water, all you will need is an unused plastic container like a Tupperware. First, fill the bottom of the container with enough water to fully immerse the Boveda. Then place the Boveda in the distilled water and put the lid on. 8g packs will take a day or two to fully saturate in the water, while 60g packs will take around 4 days to fully saturate. Once the Boveda’s are fully saturated, remove them from the containers and let them dry off in a towel. They will lose their slimy texture and return to their paper feel within an hour or two. This method is the simplest and the fastest for recharging your Boveda’s.

....I'd be concerned that the 'slimy texture' is saline dissolving out of the pack, which would change the RH setpoint. Which is why I use the 'non contact' method of letting them soak up moisture in a high RH environment.

Maybe. Probably. Sort of.....:confused:

OK, I'll bite.....why?

As I understand it, unlike beads, the RH of these is determined by the % of saline in solution. I don't see how recharging different RH set point packs can affect each other.....??

Now, if you immerse them in water....different story.

Just curious.....and, to be clear, I'm an electrical engineer, that chemistry stuff makes my head hurt.......:D

You're stretching my memory, but I think it was like the 69 would pull from the 65s. So, one would get real fat and the others stay thin.

I usually use a crystal hockey puck to recharge. I have done different boveda levels at the same time. It does fine if they are close, 62 & 65, but less so at say 62 & 72.

As long as the RH is above the Boveda's set point it should absorb. So if your sponge (good idea I think Tom) is keeping the RH above 72% any Boveda below that should absorb. The more surface area your humidity source has the more moisture it should generate. I mean it should generate it faster. Well both actually I guess. At least all that makes sense to me. :confused:

Oh, and light helps too. Suspossedly the photons knock loose water molecules.

I use my pipe tobacco cooler to recharge. I keep it at 70% so it works on anything lower. FYI, I have recharged hard ones.

I use a small sauce dish filled with di water and lay the boveda on top (not touching) all within a ziplock bag. This way all the humidity goes right towards the pack. If it's a really hard pack, it'll take a couple of weeks but you'll get there.

How did you manage that? Never worked for me.
Time. It took about three months at 72% to recharge a rock hard 69% boveda. But there's no hurry. It's completely liquid now and works fine.