• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Scumbag List

The whole situation just reeked of bullshit. Had he not been guilty of all those previous screwups as well, then I would have chalked the Anejo incident up to ignorance, not douchebaggery, however seeing as he had done shady shit prior the Anejo's really were the icing on the cake. Whether he's put on the list or not, I'd never trade nor even bother conversing with him or his little leg humping buddy.

Walt I'm not really sure what this has to do with the discussion in this thread. There are actions by regular people that can be considered douchebaggery as well. They just won't be listed under the definition of the word. Some of those examples go way beyond being a douchebag. You're talking about genocide, jihad, and mass murder there. Not to mention some of the people listed as douchebags are based on obvious political opinion.

The discussion in this thread should be kept to possible scumbags and bad traders in the cigar community, imo.

Jay,
That was more meant in jest after Charles' use of the word above. I didn't think it a real word...looked it up and posted the urban definition. Obviously there are threads where humor is more appropriate and universally accepted. If I had included his quote originally, it might have made more sense. My bad...

His quote might have helped.. It seemed so out of the blue when I read it. It's all good. :thumbs:

Does anybody know if Ed was able to get any money back from the person he picked up the Anejo/Opus from? I took a much smaller hit than others and personally moved on, just so that I wasn't dealing with my own aggravation over the whole deal. There are a couple of people that have filled Ed's place in my own book now. But if he was unable to recoup his outlay...and he actually made good with others involved regardless of how much of a pain in the ass it may have been...I believe that would count as something.

I'm not trying to defend the dude. But there's a difference between banning somebody and talk amongst each other, and publicly branding somebody a Scum Bag in the realm of cigar forums.

Geez guys, ya scared the chit right out of me. I come here to see what's going on and the first thing I see is "ED" I thought, chit ??? , what the hell did I do now???

Well, you got my attention. Then I back peddled and seez it wern't me. Phew.

Ya all have a good day. ;)

Geez guys, ya scared the chit right out of me. I come here to see what's going on and the first thing I see is "ED" I thought, chit ??? , what the hell did I do now???

Well, you got my attention. Then I back peddled and seez it wern't me. Phew.

Ya all have a good day. ;)

Thank you for your help

We know that it's possible to be removed from the list if it's deemed appropriate. Because of this, I think it's perfectly acceptable to put Spivy on the list.

If he really learned a lesson, his actions going forward will eventually result in his removal from the list. If he didn't learn anything, it may discourage him from taking some other BOTL's to the cleaners, on purpose or "by accident". It will certainly provide a "heads up" to anyone that is considering a trade with him, which to me is the purpose in the first place.

As they say, one man's opinion.....B.B.S.

I especially like the idea of a segregated list, kind of like the levels of hell from Dante. I don't think that Spivvy should go all the way to the bottom of hell but possibly somewhere in between, whereas the guy who sells the laquered "OR"s should be in the lowest/worst level.

Wither Spivy is or isn't a bad guy is sort of a moot point in my mind. The question is should others be made aware of his trading history and back ground story. CP may well remember what happened and others boards (as Jon stated) have basically told members here to mind our own business and to go pound salt.

Just because certain boards don't seem to care, doesn't take away the need to protect the Community, both on CP and aboard. The fact the list even exist goes to show that there is a DUTY to provide information. If you give someone, full and unadulterated, information then they can make the best informed choice. Not providing full accountability out of some sense of a transgression not being grave enough leads to worse transactions in the future.

The Scumbag List is an informational tool. It helps people assess the credibility of the seller, but is not the end all be all. Essentially by not having Spivy and the happenings here on the List in some form is basically condoning him to rip of someone else.

"All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing. " -- Edmund Burke

Essentially by not having Spivy and the happenings here on the List in some form is basically condoning him to rip of someone else.

I never heard about him knowingly ripping anybody off.

This is Gahau's fiasco. I tried everything in my power to get a hold of him since I backed him up. I even sent a certified letter with no response. I sure learned a valuable lesson that day.

This is the link to contest he hosted and never sent out the sticks:

http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/index.php?showtopic=60716&st=0&p=910927&#entry910927

This is the link to the MAW PIF Gahau never made good on:

http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/index.php?showtopic=53708&st=1260&p=913516&#entry913516

This is Gahau's fiasco. I tried everything in my power to get a hold of him since I backed him up. I even sent a certified letter with no response. I sure learned a valuable lesson that day.

http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/index.php?showtopic=60716&st=0&p=910927&#entry910927

http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/index.php?showtopic=53708&st=1260&p=913516&#entry913516

He also skipped out on the PIFII:
http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/index.php?showtopic=5842&st=2080&p=912068&#entry912068

And although all this happened back in October, he's been back lately, looking around.
Last Active:
User is offline Feb 17 2010 10:56 PM
Currently:

He also skipped out on the PIFII:
http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/index.php?showtopic=5842&st=2080&p=912068&#entry912068

And although all this happened back in October, he's been back lately, looking around.
Last Active:
User is offline Feb 17 2010 10:56 PM
Currently:

Nice catch Tom! I forgot about that one.

I was going to send a PM to some members to try to explain where I'm coming from in regards to my questions here, but it's better to have it on the open forum. I'm really wanting to understand the thought process behind adding somebody's name to the list. Ed's actions were some that I witnessed, but there were others as well. My question about Spivy would be, is the Anejo/Opus debacle the main reason to add him? Because personally I can't accept that as a reason. Keep in mind I lost money on the deal as well. That was a major FU, but I feel that each of us had some responsibility for allowing ourselves to be put in the position we did. As far as being repaid (I wasn't)...I'll put it on the table like this. If "I" had put myself in the position that Ed did (which I never would have), and the deal went south like it did...and in the end I never recouped my outlay...I wouldn't be in any position what so ever to be able to repay everybody. Not being an asshole, because I feel it would be my responsibility...but I've been out of work for 15 months. There's no money here. I probably have no business even smoking cigars with my financial and medical situation as it is. Chase me down, take my car, take my cats and drums...but you can't get blood out of a stone. But...in this case, from what I understand members were repaid. As far as how Ed acted about it...how would each of us have acted in a similar situation? I mean there had to be thousands of dollars involved...correct? But the guy made good on it. Just saying...

So if we were to take all of Anejo/Opus debacle out of the equation...were his other actions severe enough to add him? I promise to STFU about it after this. :D

What about bully1875? I saw him get run out of Dodge after some antics. And if not, then how were his actions different than Spivy's? Honestly...I'm really trying to understand the process here. I wish I never saw this thread, and just saw the list occasionally when somebody else pointed it out. But I've probably already damned myself for commenting when I should have just minded my own business. :)

Let’s clarify the point here, he bought a deal to the members of this community. He vouched for the cigars in question although he did not verify where they came from or who he was dealing with. The cigars turned out to be bogus and the individuals had merchandise that was not as advertised.

Now if you were part of that and you read the threads, why are you asking such a question? If you can’t see that he should be listed as a bad trader for brokering a deal like that and defending it through his friends then you aren’t reading the same thread I was. YMMV

http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/index.php?showtopic=58587&hl=or%20anejo&st=0

I added the link to the thread for reference.

Let me be clear on one thing here: If you actually broker a trade and it goes south, you are responsible for making it good. If you cannot financially handle the liability of covering a botched trade you shouldn't be involved. In this specific case I would remind you that Ed backed out at the last minute on a committed purchase of vintage smokes via tkoepp because he wanted to use his money for a 1492 humi instead. Keeping in mind that a 1492 humi can run well into the 30k range I find it pretty dubious to say he was so financially strapped he *couldn't* make good on the fubar group buy. I think it is much more likely that to do so would have required him sacrificing things he wanted for himself.

On Dulaney.... I think he did a lot of questionable stuff and was certainly personally involved in taking him to task. However, most of the conclusions we made were deductive. I don't think there was any 'hard evidence' per se that he had flat out screwed somebody. There was an instance of him sending less than stellar stuff in a PIF/MAWPIF but although that was in poor taste, in neither instance did it directly violate the rules of the PIF.

Knowing that Ed did not pay you back Walt is more of a reason he should be on the list. He did a ton of high price wheeling and dealing so I also have a issue of him not having the money to take care of it. The incident with Jack Straw and him pulling out of the deal for the high end sticks are just other examples of why people should be aware of him. He is not a thief but he can be very shady.

Knowing that Ed did not pay you back Walt is more of a reason he should be on the list. He did a ton of high price wheeling and dealing so I also have a issue of him not having the money to take care of it. The incident with Jack Straw and him pulling out of the deal for the high end sticks are just other examples of why people should be aware of him. He is not a thief but he can be very shady.

Really guys...after tone-ny's post above I understand clearly. Don...I didn't pursue reimbursement because I smoked the couple of cigars I purchased. As a noob in here, I realize that I should be sitting back and watching how the established members of not just this board but the Cigar Forum Community, handle situations and decisions like this. I should be more concerned with my own contributions to our community and less about what others that have banned have done or have not done.

If we are adding people to the list no matter the severity of their offence, I think there should be a more descriptive explanation on the list.

As it is now, the list is vague and inconclusive. There needs to be hard links accompanying EACH and EVERY Scumbag, simply for clarity and transparency.

Without it we simply come off as judge, jury, and executioner, lacking proper checks and balances...