• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Too humid Humidor?

modo22

I bought a new humidor http://www.cubancrafters.com/products.php/item_id/262 It has a lower area with a top shelf. When I bought it in December I seasoned it per the instructions.

It is about 40% full of cigars. I have the cigar oasis set around 69.7%. It is on the bottom shelf with nothing but a few cigars on the top shelf. The analog hygrometer on the front is reading 78% humidity while the cigar oasis reads 69-71%. I have salt tested the analog and adjusted it.

I am just worried about which one to trust. I do not want to ruin my stock. Does it make a difference if I have the cigar oasis on the bottom or the top? (if it is on the top it barely fits) Does it matter if the top shelf is even in the humidor? I have just had to fight with it since I have gotten it. I know it takes some work, but think it is taking too much. Any thoughts, advice?

The analog hygros are notoriously innaccurate so don't trust them.

A calibrated digital hygro is the way to go.

Hey thanks for the input....Yesterday I put the digital on the top shelf and it it brought the analog down to 72% while the cigar oasis stayed at 69 like I set it to. Should it matter if the humidifier is on top or bottom? If I put it on top it barely has any room between the vent and the top of the humidor, should that be a concern?

Cigar Oasis are notoriously inaccurate as well. All the ones I had were set to 67% and would pump up the RH to 75 for a few minutes and then let it fall to 65. So depending on when you opened the humi you would see wild results. Additionally, the CO will blow 95% - 100% RH air on the cigars in the direct line with the fan.

Give the CO to your brother in law and buy some beads.

Hey thanks for the input....Yesterday I put the digital on the top shelf and it it brought the analog down to 72% while the cigar oasis stayed at 69 like I set it to. Should it matter if the humidifier is on top or bottom? If I put it on top it barely has any room between the vent and the top of the humidor, should that be a concern?

I'm not 100% (and I'm sure I'll be quickly corrected if I'm wrong :laugh: ) I believe humid air rises, so having your humidification device lower would be better. Though, in a small space it might not really matter.

Mike

I'm not 100% (and I'm sure I'll be quickly corrected if I'm wrong :laugh: ) I believe humid air rises, so having your humidification device lower would be better. Though, in a small space it might not really matter.

Mike

That's the kicker, in a 150 count humi I wouldn't think you would need an oasis unit, but if you do use it in that small of a space it definitely shouldn't matter where in the humi it is.

Cigar Oasis are notoriously inaccurate as well. All the ones I had were set to 67% and would pump up the RH to 75 for a few minutes and then let it fall to 65. So depending on when you opened the humi you would see wild results. Additionally, the CO will blow 95% - 100% RH air on the cigars in the direct line with the fan.

Give the CO to your brother in law and buy some beads.

I have experienced that, one cigar was in its blow and got pretty soft. I hate to hear you say it is notoriously inaccurate after I spent the money I did. Has anyone else had negative experience with the CO? What has made me feel more confident that the top shelf may be working better is that at least the analog has been around 72 for almost two days now, so it has gone down from 80RH. But knowing that it that size of a humi it should not matter. Either way, concerned at how much work the CO has been to maintain a consistent RH.

Mike

I believe you are correct sir.

Molecular weight of water (H2O) = H (1) + H(1) + O (16) = 18
Molecular weight of air = 28.97

Sources:

Molecular masses of H and O
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/molecula...-air-d_679.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Density_of_air