• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Ashton Estate Sun Grown No. 20

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
As per what I’ve read, to celebrate the 20 good years of business, Ashton will release five different ESG vitolas over a fiver year period. The No. 20 was the first, released in 2006, with the No. 21 in 2007, and now the No. 22 in 2008. I really like the band on this cigar with two pictures of where I would love to be while smoking this cigar. Gorgeous indeed.

The Dominican Sungrown wrapper is a milk chocolate brown with a small amount of oiliness to it. There’s a very good weight in the hand, firm when squeezed, and nice bunching in the foot. I open the cap with the large ring on my punch knife and find the draw to have a perfect resistance with a good tobacco taste coming through.

With the foot tasted and a solid burn going, smoke flows effortlessly and is at first mild in body with a slight hint of spice. After a few more draws, the smoke turns to a mild/medium body with the spice picking up to a perfect amount and really good flavors starting to come through. There’s a rather sweet, brown sugar taste at first, then a good toasted nuttiness with wood and worn leather that comes through when exhaling through both the mouth and nose.

The burn wants to lean to one side from the get go, and continues this way through the first inch or so. A strong, dark gray ash is forming and the draw is absolutely spot on with smoke flowing well. Flavors continue to be rich and delicious with a perfect spice on the back of the throat. There’s a long and lasting finish that lingers on the palate after exhaling the mild to medium bodied smoke.

This cigar only got better the further in I got. Fantastic flavors as described before with the smoke smooth and creamy over the tongue. There was an incredible finish that lasted on the palate, lip smacking good. The burn straightened out perfectly and the dark gray ash held strong until I knocked it off every inch or so.

I thoroughly enjoyed every inch of this cigar with its rich flavor and perfect spice. The mild to medium bodied smoke hit my palate perfectly and had an excellent long, lasting finish. There was perfect resistance in the draw with the burn good throughout. I have to say I like the ESG more than the VSG so far. Of course that Enchantment I had last weekend wasn’t bad at all.

04-17-09AshtonESTNo20001.jpg

04-17-09AshtonESTNo20002.jpg

04-17-09AshtonESTNo20003.jpg

04-17-09AshtonESTNo20004.jpg

04-17-09AshtonESTNo20005.jpg

DSC02337.jpg

Fantastic review Greg. I absolutely love the ESG line, and to a slightly lesser degree the VSG line. Fantastic cigars, just a bit pricey for all the time smokin!!!

Don

Great review as always. I am also a big fan of the ESG line. The VSG is one of my go to smokes, but I have to say I like the ESG a little bit better. Thanks for the review!

I have been wanting to grab a few for a few weeks. I was reluctant because the VSG's are very enjoyable. Thanks for the review, I'm going to pull the trigger.

I have yet to try the ESG, mostly because of the price tag. We have one box from 2007 at my shop and we are finally down to around 4 sticks or. They just haven't moved very well at all at our store. Not sure why. But that one box has been there since 07. Anyway, my fav smoke are the VSG so I suppose I better grab one of those ESG while I can since they have been aging there for so long.

I have yet to try the ESG, mostly because of the price tag. We have one box from 2007 at my shop and we are finally down to around 4 sticks or. They just haven't moved very well at all at our store. Not sure why. But that one box has been there since 07. Anyway, my fav smoke are the VSG so I suppose I better grab one of those ESG while I can since they have been aging there for so long.

Does anyone NOT like the VSGs?

My only advice can be to not have any flavor expectations from the ESG when comparing to a VSG. If you have to set expectations from Ashton, I would base them on the regular and Cabinet lines. The ESG is much softer than a VSG, but, IMHO and limited experience, one of the 'perfect' mild-medium cigars out there.

This is something I haven't been able to find a clear answer on: Is Ashton 'introducing' one vitola per year, and continuing production on previously introduced, or only producing one vitola each year, leaving those wanting a 20 year only able to get old stock?

Does anyone NOT like the VSGs?

My only advice can be to not have any flavor expectations from the ESG when comparing to a VSG. If you have to set expectations from Ashton, I would base them on the regular and Cabinet lines. The ESG is much softer than a VSG, but, IMHO and limited experience, one of the 'perfect' mild-medium cigars out there.

This is something I haven't been able to find a clear answer on: Is Ashton 'introducing' one vitola per year, and continuing production on previously introduced, or only producing one vitola each year, leaving those wanting a 20 year only able to get old stock?

Quoted from the Ashton home page:

"Every year, Ashton will introduce one size of Ashton ESG for the next five years. In its debut year, a 6.75 x 49 size was introduced. In the second year a 5.25 x 52 has been added along with the continued limited production of the first year. And so it will continue for three more years until 2010. From then on, all five sizes will be produced annually and made available to celebrate the 25th Anniversary of Ashton. The rare tobaccos used in this spectacular cigar dictate that only extremely limited quantities can be produced."

Oh, right, manufacturers website. Why would I have thought to look there :whistling:

Thanks Kingantz!!!