Dry boxing within a wineador

Discussion in 'Humidor Forum' started by Thoughts, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Thoughts

Thoughts Forehead wrinkle king

Mar 3, 2018
    Mississippi
    Hey guys!

Recently I have gotten an excellent wineador that has helped ease my mind about keeping my cigars cool (I'm in Mississippi, so our house temps sometimes run up to 78-80). Recently, I have gotten more interested and experimented with dry boxing and I love it. However, my 'dry box' is a cigar box with a latch on the front.

Now, I have done monitoring tests with a digital hygrometer within the dry box and it remains at a constant 60-61% with the humi beads (which is where I want it). Unfortunately, the box is outside the wineador and open to temperature changes during the day. When placed within the humidor, the cigar box starts soaking up the humidity within it, so I am looking for a small humidor to take it's place.

My question, I'm wanting to get a humidor that I can place within the wineador to allow me to dry box while keeping it around the same temperature. Are the everyday humidors naturally resistant to outside humidity, or will it eventually lead to a ruined experiment and useless tabletop humidor if I place it in a wineador?

Follow up question, If not all small humidors are humidity resistant, which ones would be more reliable in this factor?

2. bfreebern

bfreebern Yada, Yada, Yada.

Jun 22, 2004
    Tulsa
    I think it's overkill, honestly. A few days worth of above temps, isn't going to do anything dramatic to your dry box cigars.

Long term, yes. Short term, I wouldn't worry about it.

Thoughts likes this.
  3. CigSid

CigSid Love this place...

Jan 25, 2014
    Southern California
    Use a glass Tupperware container, like this:

CMontoya79 and Thoughts like this.
  4. Pugman1943

Pugman1943 Well-Known Member

Hell of a picture there CigSid.

CMontoya79, tone-ny and Thoughts like this.
  5. Thoughts

Mar 3, 2018
    Mississippi
    [​IMG]

CMontoya79 likes this.
  6. Thoughts

Mar 3, 2018
    Mississippi
    thank ya'll for the responses!

7. oke&coke

oke&coke Shut up baby I know it!

Sep 25, 2014
    Honolulu,HI
    Another option is a Xikar carry case with a small boveda pack. This is what I use. It will fit in the winador and can be taken with you. It is also air tight so won’t soak moisture.

8. Johnny B

Johnny B Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Kennewick, WA
    That's what I use and it works great for me.

Thoughts likes this.
  9. CigSid

CigSid Love this place...

Jan 25, 2014
    Southern California
    Pug, there is a link embedded in the word “this” but for the technically challenged here you go :)

3D88C207-D3B1-411B-B433-58280C55C065.jpeg

10. Pugman1943

Pugman1943 Well-Known Member

Much better CigSid, Proves I should have put my glasses on. Better yet as I didn’t know Tupperware made that product.

CMontoya79, CigSid and Thoughts like this.