Hate to bring bad news but....

Discussion in 'The Lobby - Non-Cigar Related' started by giannilibrizzi, Jan 11, 2018 at 4:39 PM.

1. giannilibrizzi

giannilibrizzi Member

Mar 1, 2006
    Montreal, Canada
    Been away for a while, been visiting and browsing but not "participating" per se. Decided to come back and, sadly, bring some bad news...

Spad31, known to his family and friends as Trey Smith, and to his Air Force buddies as "Axl", passed away, some time ago, 2 days before his birthday actually...

I met him here, and we became friends. He was there for me whenever I needed someone to listen, and so was I for him. He paid me a visit, came to Montreal Canada and we spent a week together. Took him to Quebec City, treated him has a brother, as he did for me... I can still see him carrying my baby boy around, trying to teach him english. I can still see gifts he gave my son in his room, and I sometimes still smoke cigars he brought me...

Crazy how someone we meet on a forum can become, a brother... Trey had his demons, and through the years, they slowly got the best of him. He was a great man, a great person, a brother to me, but his addiction got the best of him, tragically...

He is greatly missed, not a day goes by where I don't hope he'd still be here...

Rest in peace Brother...

Gianni

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maduro Clint likes this.
  2. Tall Paul

Tall Paul "insecure little bitch"

May 11, 2011
    Derry, NH
    Damn! Sorry for your loss. Trey was a good guy.

Paul

3. cody5thou

cody5thou Supporter

Mar 25, 2007
    Plano,Tx
    Sorry to hear.

4. CMontoya79

CMontoya79 Newb Le professional!

Dec 8, 2008
    Denver,CO
    This is horrible to hear. Rest easy Trey. He sent me some very nice things back in ‘15. I’m going to dig something up and light it in your memory brother.

5. tone-ny

tone-ny I smoke therefore I am!

Nov 24, 2004
    NY/NJ/SC
    Man that is sad to hear RIP. Thanks for letting us know and your fond memories of him.

6. Nihon_Ni

Nihon_Ni 真喜志友幸

May 2, 2010
    Fredericksburg, VA
    I'm at a loss for words. I wasn't close to Trey, but encouraged him through his struggles from a distance. We were kindred warriors and I empathized with him as many on here did. Rest easy brother!

7. oke&coke

oke&coke Shut up baby I know it!

Sep 25, 2014
    Honolulu,HI
    Damn sorry to hear that. A fine fellow indeed. Good to see you here though.

8. jfields

jfields Where did all my money go?

Jan 25, 2007
    Fredericksburg, VA
    I hope he was at peace and not full of regret. I know he seemed like he’d come to terms with what he’d done to his body over many years. But, so many alcoholics feel like they are weak and it’s about choices, when it’s a disease that some are powerless against.

9. jbfurdog

jbfurdog Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2015
    Ohio
    Sad news rest easy, Trey.

10. whylieineedacigar

whylieineedacigar Member

Dec 2, 2013
    New York City
    Rest in peace, my condolences.

11. drjammer

drjammer ????

Apr 15, 2008
    Colorado
    R.I.P. Brother

12. ironpeddler

ironpeddler Ye Old Newbie

Apr 8, 2008
    Land of Snatch & Honey
    Thanks for sharing the news and happy stories. He was a good guy and a true BOTL in every sense of the word.

Godspeed Trey....

13. thinde

thinde Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Connecticut
    Sad to hear. My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

14. The Black Cloud

The Black Cloud Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    That sucks to hear. Wasn't he the one who posted fairly recently (within the past year) that he was being discharged and looking forward to a new chapter in life? Always sad to lose a brother. Rest in peace.

15. mjolnir01

mjolnir01 El Cañón de Latón

Jun 1, 2008
    American Southwest
    Thanks for posting this, Gianni. Trey and I had always stayed in touch over the years, even through the absences. Then it just went quiet. The last message I had from him was this past May.

My heart goes out to his ex-wife and son.

As is our custom when a fellow airman departs the fix for the last time, the third verse of the Air Force Song:

Here's a toast to those who love the vastness of the sky
    To a friend we send the message of his brother men who fly
    We drink to those who gave their all of old
    Then down we roar to score the rainbow's pot of gold
    Here's a toast to the host of the men we boast
    The US Air Force.

Here's a toast, AXL.
    -FOXXX

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018 at 10:20 AM
    kann and CMontoya79 like this.
  16. Rod

Rod Administrator Staff Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Upland, CA
    Very sad news. RIP Trey, you will certainly be missed...

17. Pugman1943

Pugman1943 Well-Known Member

Trey moved about 40 miles from me and we spoke about getting together. Too bad we didn’t make it Trey. RIP brother.

18. 2K6TBSS

2K6TBSS Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    East Bay, CA
    Sorry to hear about this loss. Trey was a good guy.

19. StatHaldol

StatHaldol Active Member

Sep 13, 2008
    North Louisiana
    I’m sorry to hear that, rest easy Trey.

20. kann

kann One Leg Of Fury.

Apr 29, 2011
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Trey was one of my great friends in Germany, and my girls both loved him. My youngest used to jump on their trampoline with their Clifford of a dog while we would sit and smoke cigars in his backyard. We were invited over on many occasions for their weekly homemade pizza night, and any time my family was there, Trey and I would laugh at how funny it was seeing Q and my oldest daughter awkwardly going out of their way to avoid each other. I was incredibly saddened to hear when he told us that his domestic life was fracturing, as we really loved his entire family. I had emailed and messaged him here a bit, but never heard back from him.

I'm at a loss for words right now. I truly, truly am. Blue skies, "Spud" (I paid for that one every time I saw him until it became a running joke). You will be missed. I'll be keeping all he knew and all who loved him in my thoughts.