• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New V-Cutter

ironpeddler

Ye Old Newbie
I've always been a fan of a V-cut since the late 70s when I would smoke a smaller ring size cigar that were popular back then. It was a gold plated Colibri that I still have to this day. I like it because the cap remained intact and I would wind up with less tobacco in my mouth as I smoked. When smoking a churchill size, I gave it a dual cross cut.

Fast forward to Xikar coming out with one a few years back and I immediately jumped on it because it gave a deeper cut that my old workhorse Colibri. While the new Xikar is nicely made and is of a known high quality, it still was shallow when it comes to today's even larger ring sizes. I came across an article about Colibri's newest offering of a V-cutter versus Xikar's newest V-cutter that provide an even deeper cut. The results of the comparison were very close so I went with the less expensive of the two and decided on the Colibri. I bought one on eBay for a little over $30 delivered.

I must say, it's a hefty cutter that gives an amazingly clean cut and is much deeper that the original Xikar. A single cut is all you need to get a great draw on a large ring cigar and I still don't get a ton of tobacco in my mouth as I smoke. For the price & cut, definitely worth the money if you like a V-cut.

IMG_7027.JPG

IMG_7030.JPG View attachment 19917

Last edited:
Seconded, I honestly felt like it cut to deep when I first got it but now I am really happy with it!!!!

I have both, and my opinion is exactly backwards from yours....:D Well made, solid, works great....absolutely. Problem I have with it is that it cuts so deep it will cut some triple caps right in two. I've had the severed pieces then come off in my mouth once the smoke gets nice and warm....not cool. I prefer the Xikar V-cutter, which I use almost every day. Same solid hardware, but it's V is much shallower than the Colibri.

My Xikar V-cutter, my Xikar dual blade cutter and my Palio are the ones that get it done.

As they say, one man's opinion.......:cool:

I have both, and my opinion is exactly backwards from yours....:D Well made, solid, works great....absolutely. Problem I have with it is that it cuts so deep it will cut some triple caps right in two. I've had the severed pieces then come off in my mouth once the smoke gets nice and warm....not cool. I prefer the Xikar V-cutter, which I use almost every day. Same solid hardware, but it's V is much shallower than the Colibri.

My Xikar V-cutter, my Xikar dual blade cutter and my Palio are the ones that get it done.

As they say, one man's opinion.......:cool:

True... I love a punch for most cigars, especially since I received my draw tool... but I still use my v-cutter for my Piramides.

I have both the Colibri and Xikar v cutter.
Colibri is a tank, but I find myself using the Xikar 80+% of the time because of the shallower depth.

True... I love a punch for most cigars, especially since I received my draw tool... but I still use my v-cutter for my Piramides.

Me too Bill, most of the time I use a punch...9mm or 11mm. But when I smoke a Cuban Partagas or toothy Nicaraguan smoke, the punch doesn't work as well once the tars start making their way to the head....it tends to restrict the draw. It's those heavier smokes I use one of the V-cutters on. The stranger part is, I use a straight cutter very seldom these days as the quality of cap construction seems to have gone the way of the Dodo bird.

I have both the Colibri and Xikar v cutter.
Colibri is a tank, but I find myself using the Xikar 80+% of the time because of the shallower depth.

Yup, on the V-cutter side, I do the same. I bought the Colibri for very specific smokes...the ones that give off the most goo towards the head. I smoked a Tat something (that short, T-110 like version out of California a few years back) the other day and cut it with the Xikar, when I felt a little restriction on the draw at a little over the half way point, I re-cut it with the Colibri and it opened right back up.