• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The age old discussion about value of NC cigars

It's a hobby, if you enjoy cigars then start collecting. Like Bill said, later in life you will be smoke awesome cigars. They will mean a lot to you because you had the patience to collect. I'm 34 and have been collecting and learning since day one on this forum (10 yrs ago). I love to go into my office and stare at what I have in the humidor. I do the same thing with the wine I collect. Makes me happy.

Back in the old days, cigar smokers usually smoked the same cigar forever. Think about that.

Back in the old days, cigar smokers usually smoked the same cigar forever. Think about that.

I'm not that far evolved from that myself. Order at least a box a month of my beloved San Cristobal Fabulosos. ;)

But yeah, look at any old movie---I'm thinking Bond movies, but any from that era---the boss's desktop humidor was always filled with ONE brand/vitola.

~Boar

Value and worth are subjective. I've had bottles of beer that cost a few dollars that blew me away and I've had bottles of beer that cost far more than that that didn't. I've enjoyed bottles of wine that cost a third the price of others. Smoke what you like; like what you smoke. The only person who can tell you what you like is you.

And all things being equal, I prefer yams to potatoes.
Gross

I'm not that far evolved from that myself. Order at least a box a month of my beloved San Cristobal Fabulosos. ;)

But yeah, look at any old movie---I'm thinking Bond movies, but any from that era---the boss's desktop humidor was always filled with ONE brand/vitola.

~Boar

JFK only smoked one brand and size.

Things have changed, perhaps not for the better. I can remember smoking a certain brand of NC steady as can be. Was several boxes deep in the cabinet, kept boxes of two of the different series queued up. Always had one box to smoke out of, one sitting in the cabinet waiting. But, over the years, that particular smoke began tasting completely different, box to box. To the point where the 'premium' series was about as good as the 'base' series used to be, and the 'base' series was....really unpredictable, and in fact usually not very good. What's changed is the huge increase in the number of cigars being smoked, and the fact that the manufacturers have figured out that if they come across a crop of really exceptional leaf, taa daa it's a "Limited Edition" and people will snap them up at premium prices. There are a few I find to be very consistent....and they are CC's. And, even then, box to box there's more variation than I'd like. I completely 'get it', these are a handmade product and there will always be some variation. But, IMHO, the days of finding 'your smoke' and staying with it long term are a thing of the past.

Don't be, you made it to 60 and are able to enjoy some cigars which probably means that you are healthy. The oldest man in America is 112 and smokes 12 cigars a day.
Yes, his name is Richard Overton. He says he has met celebrities and politicians and athletes, each asking him the same question about his secret to longevity. His answer? God and cigars.

JFK only smoked one brand and size.

Several years ago I was in Las Vegas for work. On the way out of town we stopped at Pawn Stars' pawn shop. They had one of JFK's humidors wrapped in cling wrap that said it was full of his cigars. Judging on how the humidor was stored, I supposed the contents were a pile of dust but it would still have been a cool thing to own.

Another thing that I look for are deals involving tubos. In my humble opinion the aging process is enhanced and you can get three packs as well. Nothing like an aged RyJ Churchill A/T!
Amen to that!!...a true classic CC.

Cigar Sid said:

.......on gas chromatographic/mass spectrometric (GC/MS) profiling........

Not making light of the comments, but I have been thinking about this since I saw it:

Several years ago I was in Las Vegas for work. On the way out of town we stopped at Pawn Stars' pawn shop. They had one of JFK's humidors wrapped in cling wrap that said it was full of his cigars. Judging on how the humidor was stored, I supposed the contents were a pile of dust but it would still have been a cool thing to own.

I remember seeing the episode where they bought it. The sticks certainly were not kept in the best of conditions and I’m sure they amount to a pile of dust. Just out of curiosity what did they want for the humidor?

I remember seeing the episode where they bought it. The sticks certainly were not kept in the best of conditions and I’m sure they amount to a pile of dust. Just out of curiosity what did they want for the humidor?

Group buy! LOL

I don't recall but I remember thinking it was really expensive.