• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Ashton VSG - OR or regular release?

TWB,

Your knowledge of the VSG, one of my favorite cigars, is amazing. :thumbs:

Wilkey

The rounds taste pretty different if that helps. Yeah the round to crown band change was recent so not a tell.

Yep, much smoother and more refined, if that makes sense. Imagine the VSG flavor/strength, more mellowed out.

The rounds taste pretty different if that helps. Yeah the round to crown band change was recent so not a tell.

Yep, much smoother and more refined, if that makes sense. Imagine the VSG flavor/strength, more mellowed out.
So wouldn't you get that by aging the VSG?

Wilkey

Not sure, I've never had an aged VSG, besides the OR. Per Andrews site:

VSG "Rounds" are the oldest VSGs in existence. They were created in 1997, but were not released until 1999, when they were sold (and continue to be, on occasion) in limited quantities in cabinets of 50.

"Regular release" VSGs are box-pressed, and the VSG "Rounds" have more tobacco in them than regular VSGs, because of the lack of the box press, which results in a unique taste from regular production VSG cigars.

All VSGs feature a Sumatran-seed sun grown wrapper (jokingly referred to as "cloud grown" because of the altitude they are grown at) cut from the upper-primings of the plant, grown by the Oliva family in Ecuador.

Thanks!

I still remember my first one, the Spellbound, a huge double corona. I didn't know what "full-bodied" meant yet. :::insert puke icon:::

Ashton started using the newest label when they released the Wizard size a little while back. There are a few Wizards in the initial release that got the 2nd oldest band however.

TWB,

Your knowledge of the VSG, one of my favorite cigars, is amazing. :thumbs:

Wilkey

Hey Brandon - I'm going to send you one of my last from a box of 2000's so you can tell us what you think. I'm curious how you would contrast them to the Rounds. Shoot me your addy again. Not sure if you're still living in Broken TeePee or not.

Hey Brandon - I'm going to send you one of my last from a box of 2000's so you can tell us what you think. I'm curious how you would contrast them to the Rounds. Shoot me your addy again. Not sure if you're still living in Broken TeePee or not.

PM sent, I'll do you one better.

Not that it's anything earth shattering that I have to add, but I love VSG's (who doesn't!) and got a few from my father-in-law before he even knew I was dating his daughter. (He might have given me white owl's at the time had he known!) That was from September of 2004. I smoke a couple, then left the rest. The last one I had was earlier this year, maybe January or so. It was PHENOMENAL! Just a couple of years changed that cigar so much. One of the better ones I've ever smoked. I only have 1 left from him, and I am saving it for something special. Seeing how well they aged, I might try to purchase a box when we have our first child and letting them age. I'll be interested to see what you think about a regular release aged VSG, Brandon. Nice gesture lucasbuck!

I smell trouble here :)

LOL, Craig will be reviewing a VSG Round Beli #1 and his VSG from 2000.

Yep, just as I figured....figgin' Brandon. You can hardly post with any safety around here :thumbs:

Well done!

The band was only changed from the rounded top in spring '06. I remember posting the two different bands on CF. At first, everybody told me the new one was a fake. Then somebody from Ashton said they were trying out new bands. I don't think I saw any new bands in the store until mid summer '06.

I smell trouble here :)

LOL, Craig will be reviewing a VSG Round Beli #1 and his VSG from 2000.

Yep, just as I figured....figgin' Brandon. You can hardly post with any safety around here :thumbs:

Well done!

Also including a VSG Robusto that was released for the Asian Market, for Craig to also smoke. Here is the info from Andrews site: VSG Robusto Asian Release

Nobody really knows how old these are. I've really enjoyed the couple I've smoked.

Wherever Brandon goes trouble is sure to follow. I'm well used to it by now.

So if i have one thats round and says er is it going to be worthy? :whistling:
vsg does age well if treated right. Love um.

Um, just because it has a rounded crown doesn't guarantee it to be an OR VSG, just that it was released before the 2nd revision of the band.

No real difference between OR VSGs and the VSGs that are in production now. The VSG Rounds, on the other hand... well, read more here. (scroll down)