• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

ATTN ALL MEMBERS - PLEASE READ (RE: CIGARSTONE)

Bsneed,

The decision is ultimately Rod's. Even should this individual be allowed to stay, I'm sure he'd be ostracized. If the road back exists...it'd be a long and heard one.

There are mistakes and then there are instances of poor judgment facilitated by lack of consideration for potential consequences compounded by violation of a fundamental moral code of the internet forum. This was the latter.

Wilkey

But you can't use that in Anthony's thread...unless you do two posts...hmmmmm!?

:laugh:

--------------------

Tom - you wouldn't be the only one.

-----------------

By the way :

26 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 5 Anonymous Users)

:sign:

Rod gave him the options.

Beside, who's to say after he comes out, that my next line wouldn't be; 'Glad you stood up, Now Leave!'

One step at a time Tom. ;)
Fair enough, Gary. It is Rod's board and you won't hear me quibble about that.

Let me put it another way - if this "person" is allowed to stay, I want to know who he is. Period. He's "done" in my book and I don't want to expose myself in any trades or passes going forward.

Our reputation is, or should be, everything. I can understand a "prank" but jacking someones account just goes over the top, IMHO.

B.B.S.

agreed

Let me first say I did not see or hear exactly what occured with Jeff's account. However, I know that even the best of us have done something that we perceived one way, and it came accross completely different.

I'm not saying it was right, I'm not saying it shouldn't go unpunished, I'm just saying that everyone jumping in ready with their pitchforks and torches should step back and think if they have made a mistake on here, and how they would feel if it was them that was getting banned. I haven't been here long, but this is a great place. I wouldn't intentional sacrifice my place in this community, but even I am susceptible to being a "asshat" at times.

Beside, who's to say after he comes out, that my next line wouldn't be; 'Glad you stood up, Now Leave!'

Let me put it another way - if this "person" is allowed to stay, I want to know who he is. Period. He's "done" in my book and I don't want to expose myself in any trades or passes going forward.

Our reputation is, or should be, everything. I can understand a "prank" but jacking someones account just goes over the top, IMHO.

B.B.S.
What he said.

Mistakes are mistakes, but this is beyond a mistake. There is no excuse for going into someone's account and messing with it. It's just not right.

Here's my take:

This was probably a childish joke by someone who knew it would irritate me.....mission accomplished....what can I say I'm homophobic.

The real issue is this......I am not web programming literate and as a result I have been checking my credit cards every few hours for the past 4 days, my wife has been checking hers as well, I have gone to every web site, I can think of, where I have private info and checking for abuse and changing passwords and I am tired of this.

If he mans up I will tell him he's an idiot and be done with it but I would sure like to be relieved of the internet privacy issues.

Here's my take:

This was probably a childish joke by someone who knew it would irritate me.....mission accomplished....what can I say I'm homophobic.

The real issue is this......I am not web programming literate and as a result I have been checking my credit cards every few hours for the past 4 days, my wife has been checking hers as well, I have gone to every web site, I can think of, where I have private info and checking for abuse and changing passwords and I am tired of this.

If he mans up I will tell him he's an idiot and be done with it but I would sure like to be relieved of the internet privacy issues.

Until this post, I was willing to chalk this up as a prank gone bad. After seeing how the prank affected CigarStone, I'm inclined to agree that there should be consequences. It's not my place to say what they should be, but something should be done.

Here's my take:

An innocent prank shouldn't lead to this!

I still call toast!

The next question is how many people saw this and just assumed CS is light in the loafers? I know I did. :p

Here's my take:

i agree that a joke shouldnt lead to worry and greif about your identity getting stolen. i had to deal with it once and it was not fun.
i have joined the masses and say off with their heads. but i still respect cigarstone and rod with whatever way they decide to deal with it

Here's my take:

I am sorry to hear that this happened to you. I hope, for your sake, that this was a prank gone bad and nothing awful comes of it for you. If they do steal your private info, then I reserve the right to change my mind. Someone please hand me a torch and pitchfork....just in case. :laugh:

Jeff, as long as your password was different for your and your wife's other accounts, you should be okay. Obviously this has to be someone fairly close to you to either know or guess your password.

May the culprit come forward.
No dis, Gary, but some things are inexcusable. So, what example do we want to set for the board? Is it OK to do "anything" as long as you say "gee, I'm really sorry" or are there some things that are still sacred?

Screwing around with a brother's account = instaban, in my book with lots of public humiliation to follow. Do you want to trade with this guy going forward? Trust him to be in a pass? No thank you and no way. This crap qualifies for an instant "you're done" in my book.

One more stern opinion - B.B.S.

Agreed 110% B.B.S. I own and run a series of online communities, message boards, etc, and have a ZERO chances policy on things like this. The first time you do it is also the last. The hacking of the site, or of amy members accounts is an insta ban along with reporting to whatever parties may also take an interest in it.

Not that I'm saying Rod is making a bad decision by offering th eoffendor this chance. Don't want my post misunderstood. Would never presume to tell someone how to run their own sites.

BS

Putting salt in the sugarbowl is a prank..... hacking someones account is a total violation of ones property. Yes, his account is his property. This would be no different than someone walking into your house, going through all of your closets, rearranging your furniture, and taking a dump in your bathroom without flushing.

I for one am very disappointed that you are allowing this person to have this swept under the rug by coming forward. That is total BS. We have a right to know who amongst us feels he has the right to hack into someones account.

Here's my take:

Well Jeff, I definitely don't think you're pulling my leg anymore.

Before this book is closed, I'd like to have some kind of idea on how this happened. Did the offender guess Jeff's password? Seems unlikely. How the hell did somebody hack into his account? I really don't know crap about hacking, and I'm not looking for a step by step, but some general idea of how this went down would be nice.

And here's Jeff worried about his credit cards... That's f.ed up. This is pretty damn serious.

B.B.S.
What he said.

Mistakes are mistakes, but this is beyond a mistake. There is no excuse for going into someone's account and messing with it. It's just not right.

QFT.

Hacking into someone else's account should NEVER be tolerated. Period. I don't care if it was meant as an April Fool's joke.

We all joke and kid and call each other names. Hell, sometimes we even have virtual fights that go on for pages and pages. However, this act of hacking into someone's account and changing their profile is inexcusable. That's not a "mistake". This person knew full well what they were doing and what the consequences might be.

Personally, I think this person should be outed so each person here can determine for themselves whether they want to "associate" with them anymore.

That said, this is Rod and CigarStone's call and we should abide by their wishes with respect to how this is handled.

EDIT TO ADD: IMO, this is much worse than some of the things people have previously been banned for on this site.

The next question is how many people saw this and just assumed CS is light in the loafers? I know I did. :p

If you meet him, you might think the same thing :)

Seth

I have to agree with Tom's initial reaction. What was done was clearly a violation of CP Rules, specifically Rule #13 "Any impersonation of a user from these forums, in any mode of communication, is strictly prohibited and will result in a banning."

There's certainly levels of mistakes and errors in judgement, but this isn't the type that anyone should make for any reason. Other guys have used other folks accounts for nefarious reasons, and although this was a poorly thought-out joke the resulting punishment should be the same. The message needs to be sent and applied to all people who violate our rules. IGNORANCE of the rules is no excuse. The rules are posted for all to read. Learn 'em, know 'em, live 'em.

edited to add: Apparently other rules were violated as well. Like Rule #2.

Hacking an account is a major no-no, joke or no joke.
I know we can discuss it all we want here, but I think this probably is one issue that is best resolved offline between Rod, Jeff, and whoever did this.

art

**edit spell

Hacking is a no no and raises questions about the moral compass of the offender. Whether or not the offender is banned is one thing but he/she should be identified for the public good. That is just common sense and essential to protecting the community.

Before this book is closed, I'd like to have some kind of idea on how this happened. Did the offender guess Jeff's password? Seems unlikely. How the hell did somebody hack into his account? I really don't know crap about hacking, and I'm not looking for a step by step, but some general idea of how this went down would be nice.

I was wondering the same thing. It would be hard to warn against it without risking more incidents. Even if it wasn't the case here, keep your password as random as possbile.