• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

ATTN ALL MEMBERS - PLEASE READ (RE: CIGARSTONE)

Some passwords are an easy guess. Some aren't. I can't imagine a CP'er doing such a thing. However, if Jeff logged in on a shared computer (not at home), I'd say you have your culprit. Most boards these day "remember" you by default.

Let me add that I believe Rod's position in this is an extension of how Rod runs this awesome site and I for one am very glad that he allowed this to be a joint decision. I believe he is placing the importance on the most pressing issue, that being my concern for internet privacy.

31 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 1 Anonymous Users)

Wow! I haven't seen these kind of numbers since Vitasea!

Damn, and I thought I was in trouble for pretending to be Santa. hahaha.

someone is in deep-a-doo doo

Before this book is closed, I'd like to have some kind of idea on how this happened. Did the offender guess Jeff's password? Seems unlikely. How the hell did somebody hack into his account? I really don't know crap about hacking, and I'm not looking for a step by step, but some general idea of how this went down would be nice.

I was wondering the same thing. It would be hard to warn against it without risking more incidents. Even if it wasn't the case here, keep your password as random as possbile.

It would seem logical to make your password about something that you're familiar with. I do. Anybody who knows me should be able to figure it out. That's probably true here as well. If this was somebody close to Jeff, then that would make this an even worse situation for him. It could reverberate beyond a banning from CP. I doubt that's what whoever did this had in mind or probably even thought about at the time.

BS

Putting salt in the sugarbowl is a prank..... hacking someones account is a total violation of ones property. Yes, his account is his property. This would be no different than someone walking into your house, going through all of your closets, rearranging your furniture, and taking a dump in your bathroom without flushing.

I for one am very disappointed that you are allowing this person to have this swept under the rug by coming forward. That is total BS. We have a right to know who amongst us feels he has the right to hack into someones account.

Took the words right outta my mouth.

WOW, it is said to see this happen to such a great brother! I hope everything works out for you and your wife Jeff! As far as the man that did this I think he should come forward to the public!!!!!!!!!!!!

As someone else has said, are we just supposed to go blindly into trades or send thousand dollar passes to them unwittingly? Joke or no Joke, it is a major violation of confidence and they need to be outed.

I'm part of this community, and this really makes me upset to see this. I was just telling my wife that this community is a great group of BOTLs that I can escape to and talk cigars, life, pretty much anything, to anyone. We are all Brothers of the Leaf on here, but it has appeared that someone on here has stepped over the line and hung himself.

To the Suspect:
Listen here you little peice of sh*t, your little joke might have been funny to you at the time, but now do you see what a friggin' CLUSERTF*CK you've created for Jeff and his family?? Not so funny now is it?

Here's what I'll do for you pal, since I'm feeling "giving:" Try going down to your nearest bookstore and pick yourself up a copy of the Penal Code, and read up on Penal Code § 502. It's a nice little statute that talks about "computer and data abuse" infiltration.

I'm sorry, you were wondering what the punishment for it is? Here, I posted it here for you so I can save you some time while you're hacking other people's profiles:

"Any person who violates any of the provisions of paragraph
(1), (2), (4), or (5) of subdivision © is punishable by a fine not
exceeding ten thousand dollars ($10,000)
, or by imprisonment in the
state prison for 16 months, or two or three years
, or by both that
fine and imprisonment, or by a fine not exceeding five thousand
dollars ($5,000), or by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding
one year, or by both that fine and imprisonment.
"

And if you're not California, then check this website out so you can educate your scaley ass: Computer Hacking and Unauthorized Access Laws (State by State)

Might want to do some "boning up" before you pull some chicken-sh*t stunt like this again.

You're lucky that Rod and Jeff, at this point in time, only want an "apology" from you. Given the justice system's punishment as seen above? You're getting off pretty easy.

Don't fuggin' talk to me, don't fuggin' trade with me, and if I EVER see you on here after this whole fiasco, don't expect a whole lot of hugging to ensue.

I'm part of this community, and this really makes me upset to see this. I was just telling my wife that this community is a great group of BOTLs that I can escape to and talk cigars, life, pretty much anything, to anyone. We are all Brothers of the Leaf on here, but it has appeared that someone on here has stepped over the line and hung himself.

To the Suspect:
Listen here you little peice of sh*t, your little joke might have been funny to you at the time, but now do you see what a friggin' CLUSERTF*CK you've created for Jeff and his family?? Not so funny now is it?

Here's what I'll do for you pal, since I'm feeling "giving:" Try going down to your nearest bookstore and pick yourself up a copy of the Penal Code, and read up on Penal Code § 502. It's a nice little statute that talks about "computer and data abuse" infiltration.

I'm sorry, you were wondering what the punishment for it is? Here, I posted it here for you so I can save you some time while you're hacking other people's profiles:

"Any person who violates any of the provisions of paragraph
(1), (2), (4), or (5) of subdivision © is punishable by a fine not
exceeding ten thousand dollars ($10,000)
, or by imprisonment in the
state prison for 16 months, or two or three years
, or by both that
fine and imprisonment, or by a fine not exceeding five thousand
dollars ($5,000), or by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding
one year, or by both that fine and imprisonment.
"

And if you're not California, then check this website out so you can educate your scaley ass: Computer Hacking and Unauthorized Access Laws (State by State)

Might want to do some "boning up" before you pull some chicken-sh*t stunt like this again.

You're lucky that Rod and Jeff, at this point in time, only want an "apology" from you. Given the justice system's punishment as seen above? You're getting off pretty easy.

Don't fuggin' talk to me, don't fuggin' trade with me, and if I EVER see you on here after this whole fiasco, don't expect a whole lot of hugging to ensue.

And I have seen this dude in person. Big guns he has.
I would not fight him

Doesn't excuse the mistake that was made, but this should be a lesson for everyone to keep board/fun passwords separate from those you use for business. If you don't have a system to come up with 10-15 character passwords, find one, now.

Not that it hasn't been said in this post, and I respect Rod and Jeff's decision, but I agree that hacking into someone's account is worth a ban at the least. If this was someone who knew Jeff's password for some reason, or was given the password by Jeff (which it does not seam based on what Jeff is going through), then it can be chalked up to a joke. But in this case it appears that this person has obtained the password through some illegal and nefarious manner. Who is to say they don' t do this to someone else and do something that is worse than a prank.

I say ban 'em.

Dave

Some passwords are an easy guess. Some aren't. I can't imagine a CP'er doing such a thing. However, if Jeff logged in on a shared computer (not at home), I'd say you have your culprit. Most boards these day "remember" you by default.

Bruce's point is spot on and was the first thing we looked at. That possibility was quickly eliminated.

Hacking into someone's profiles is should not be accepted, on the other hand, mocking homosexuality should not be either.

Let the Jury decide!!! Hang em'